How well is people's mental health treated where you live?

• How well is people's mental health treated where you live?

How well is people's mental health treated where you live?

I saw these news articles and reminded me how little help there really seems to be when you ask (and need) help :(

bbc.co.uk/news/health-60026475

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59964353

Really sad when you know this is the truth
      Her school referred her to adolescent mental health services but she was refused help for not being unwell enough, before she got even worse.

"You don't believe you deserve help anyway and when you're not given it, you just feel knocked down."

She developed depression and anxiety and, four months later, was referred again. Eventually she opted for private treatment.

Young people say they are often told they have to reach crisis point before they can qualify for support, but Elsa says this is "so wrong".
      Prior to the pandemic, one-third of schools did not provide any in-school mental health support

Good Friend :play: Kinda Romantic :love: Ready to Rock :zomg:

"If you try to follow fashion you'll always be chasing, and probably never catch it. If you be yourself and make your own style, fashion might just bump into you one day."
    • In finland mental health system is beyond disaster.
      Any help that you might be qualified for is 20 min at doctors office and prescription for pills.
      That doctor is usually not shrink at all but is any doctor who happens to be available and who doesnt necessarily speak same language than you do.

There is average of 5 years waiting period to get any help in institute if you happen to find shrink to give you diagnosis and who is capable to put you to waiting line.

Institutes that happen to be around are 3 times at full capacity and there patients can be found to be cuffed to the radiator in janitors closet. Most of institutes are build at 50s and are crumbling to the point of being dangerous to reside. What ever personel there still is are underpaid and not interested. Their full time job is to keep patients fed and roughly speaking alive.

Of course if patients family is rich and has connections........
    • Treatment options for mental health are limited in Austria.
      There are funded therapy spots, but they vary depending on where you live, usually come with long waiting times and you will definitely not get the hours you'd need. You also might have changing therapists, which I for one would not want.
      Psychiatrists are available and covered, but there's still some stigma about them and most are better at working with adults. And they are not covered indefinitely either. This often leads to family doctors prescribing meds. (Therapists are usually not psychiatrists and are therefor not allowed to prescribe meds.)
      Mental health hospital beds for adolescent are also super limited and there have been reports lately that they are full.
      There are some hotlines too, but that's not an indefinite option either and school counselors are quite rare.
      However, the government has announced to fund more school counselors and therapy spots for adolescent, but compared to all the money they put into other pandemic related issues, the amount is laughable.

This all leads to those who can afford it to cover the costs out of pocket. I have 2.5 therapy hours (which are not full 60, but only 50 minutes each) a week and 0.75 are covered by insurance. My parents pay the rest, which is about the cost of two iPads a month. Thankfully, they are able to afford it.
    • notthatchrisevans wrote:

Treatment options for mental health are limited in Austria.
      There are funded therapy spots, but they vary depending on where you live, usually come with long waiting times and you will definitely not get the hours you'd need. You also might have changing therapists, which I for one would not want.
      Psychiatrists are available and covered, but there's still some stigma about them and most are better at working with adults. And they are not covered indefinitely either. This often leads to family doctors prescribing meds. (Therapists are usually not psychiatrists and are therefor not allowed to prescribe meds.)
      Mental health hospital beds for adolescent are also super limited and there have been reports lately that they are full.
      There are some hotlines too, but that's not an indefinite option either and school counselors are quite rare.
      However, the government has announced to fund more school counselors and therapy spots for adolescent, but compared to all the money they put into other pandemic related issues, the amount is laughable.

This all leads to those who can afford it to cover the costs out of pocket. I have 2.5 therapy hours (which are not full 60, but only 50 minutes each) a week and 0.75 are covered by insurance. My parents pay the rest, which is about the cost of two iPads a month. Thankfully, they are able to afford it.
      You have it that good.
    • Snowfox wrote:

notthatchrisevans wrote:

You have it that good.
      I guess. I'm just lucky they can afford it. Not sure how well I would be doing otherwise.
    • I live in Israel and I think there is some stigma here about getting mental health help. I have never done it but some of my friends have and it takes a long time to see anyone like months and months of waiting. I think if you are Anglo speaker it is even harder to see a doctor about it. I don't think it is too expensive though so that is a positive because everyone has to belong to health insurance called Kupot Cholim.