My friend is dating in middle school. should i be worried?

• My friend is dating in middle school. should i be worried?

Hi! My name is addy and I’m thirteen, which means I’m in eighth grade. My friend, who is also my age, has a boyfriend who she is really cute with, like insanely cute!

The only thing I have an issue with is how young they both are. I feel that like sooner or later they would have to break up(it’s rare that you get married to the person you dated in middle school) and honestly, I’m scared for her!

In sixth grade, another one of my friends who later moved, also had a boyfriend. In sixth grade! What is that? Like, eleven??? But, basically, I remember how hard it was for her when they eventually broke up, and how traumatizing it probably felt, since like, they exchanged expensive gifts, and even their parents knew about their relationship. I don’t want my other friend to feel like that!

I discussed it with someone else, and they said it was going to be fine, because they are just in middle school, and it won’t leave much of an impact. I hope I make sense, and didn’t sound like a paranoid kid too obsessed with her friends, haha. ^^

So? Should I do something about this? or is this whole thing not that big of a deal, and happens to a lot of people? Please tell me!

Edit: really sorry, this didn’t get through in the original text, but i have no problem with their relationship! i just want to know how to help her in the end, when she breaks up, I guess… i’m really sorry, i always sound all over the place and quickly change my mind etc. thank you for reading though!
      :saint: Addy :saint:

The post was edited 1 time, last by princessaddy234: I wanted to add a note so that ppl will understand my reasoning more ^^ ().

• it’s sweet that you want to protect your friend and don’t want to see her get hurt, but it’s her life. If she’s happy now then you should let her be happy, then just be a supportive friend if and when they break up. You are right in that it’s very rare that couples from middle school end up getting married, and she most likely won’t end up with him, but she needs to experience heartbreak at some point. We all do. If she’s having sex or doing something that could hurt her, then and on.y then should you maybe say something
      I don't wanna look at anything else now that I saw you
      I don't wanna think of anything else now that I thought of you
    • i think you’re right about letting her be happy. As I said before, they are really cute together, and you might as well get diabetes around them, but that just makes me more sad to know that they will eventually break up.

I hope i can support her at that time, too. I mean, i’m the type who doesn’t really know what to do when someone’s crying (does anyone know??) but I will try to do my best!

Also, as like a disclaimer i guess?? i wasn’t planning on stopping their relationship or speaking up against it in that post. I was just wondering how to soften the fall when it finally happens. (I feel like i sound like such a pessimist or mean person saying that they will break up soon, so thank you for assuring me on that ^^) maybe, like, how to help her get through a break up so early..?

also, they aren’t having sex… at least i hope they aren’t. the boyfriend joked about it once, by asking how much condoms cost and if her parents are away sometimes, but she got really angry and he stopped. the joke shouldn’t be taken seriously either because it’s the kind of edgy humor that everyone at our school likes, unless it slightly crosses the line, like his. so yeah, i think it’s fine and i’m just being overprotective of her (we’ve been friends since fourth grade, way longer than they’ve known/dated each other)

Thank you SO much for replying! i hope you don’t mind reading this absolute ESSAY for an answer, but your reply helped me a lot, and I really wanted to tell you that!
    • They might start having sex, is that a problem though?
      It’s natural and part of growing up
      I think we all know it’s unrealistic to have one partner for life and that the whole who girls give it up is super important and should wait isn’t realistic and is based in misogyny
    • laeticia wrote:

They might start having sex, is that a problem though?

idk am i too overprotective/acting like a mom???i just think that 13 is way too young for that. Wayyyy too young, even if they are the same age.

also, once again, i don’t have a problem with their relationship, and i guess they can i have sex as long as it isn’t endangering them, i just don’t know how to soften the fall in the end, and if she will ever get over heartbreak so early? I’m really not sure if that point got across through my complete wall of writing. I feel very strongly about that, so maybe i sounded all over the place

Thank you so much for replying!
    • laeticia wrote:

idk am i too overprotective/acting like a mom???i just think that 13 is way too young for that. Wayyyy too young, even if they are the same age.

also, once again, i don’t have a problem with their relationship, and i guess they can i have sex as long as it isn’t endangering them, i just don’t know how to soften the fall in the end, and if she will ever get over heartbreak so early? I’m really not sure if that point got across through my complete wall of writing. I feel very strongly about that, so maybe i sounded all over the place

• There's really nothing to worry about. People pair up all the time. A lot of the time it doesn't go beyond kissing (if that much!), sometimes it does go farther. Will their relationship end? Quite possibly. A lot of first relationships (especially among youth) don't last, but some do (sometimes you hear about some elderly couple who were sweethearts in high school or even earlier who wound up being married to each other for decades). Could their relationship end badly? Maybe, maybe not. Just because they're 13, it doesn't mean that their relationship is doomed in Romeo & Juliet style (if you're not familiar with the play, the two characters wind up committing suicide when they believe that they can't be together). It might end badly, it might end well, it might not end at all. Only time will tell, and really the only thing you need to do is to be there if your friend ever needs a friend.
    • princessaddy234 wrote:

laeticia wrote:

If they break up and it hurts that’s a life lesson, not the end of the world
    • if they break up, for some time its gonna hurt, but they'll get over it. Then she can remember all the great times they had together, and be happy about them

Everyone is going to have happy times and break ups with people (romantic or friends) and no matter how old you are, they can be great and hurt. But learning about both those parts, is a part of growing up, and everyday life

Good Friend :play: Kinda Romantic :love: Ready to Rock :zomg:

"If you try to follow fashion you'll always be chasing, and probably never catch it. If you be yourself and make your own style, fashion might just bump into you one day."