WAR IN EUROPE

• WAR IN EUROPE

A major war has started in Europe. Russia launched a military offensive in Ukraine. It seems their aim is to conquer the entire country and make it a part of Russia. The Ukrainian military seem to me totally overwhelmed. It's just a matter of days before the whole country is overrun by Russian military. This seems to be the largest military action in Europe since World War II.

What do you think will be the fate of some of the other countries bordering Russia? Is this the beginning of a massive war in Europe? If the United State is involved, what is the possibility that atomic weapons might be used?

Do you think that sanctions will work against Russia as a result of their military action in Ukr4aine?
      Vivimus Volare, Volamus Vivere,
    • is it just starting ? In 2014 they took Crimea, since then 14,000 people have died in conflict in eastern Ukraine. In reality the area Russia declared independent was in a war (rebels who want to be Russian and government). So in a Russian sense they're defending their people :(

And I kinda think when people say since WW2 it kinda forgets what actually happened in the region. There were many wars for independence of former USSR, Czechoslovakian and Yugoslavian. So you have many countries with dual identity, a new independence and the Patriotic former union

Good Friend :play: Kinda Romantic :love: Ready to Rock :zomg:

"If you try to follow fashion you'll always be chasing, and probably never catch it. If you be yourself and make your own style, fashion might just bump into you one day."
    • ChrisC05 wrote:

Our crap POTUS could stay awake long enough to fight his way out of a wet paper bag

Tf does that have to do with anything?

No NATO member is interested in going to war in Ukraine (an intent which was made pretty explicit almost as soon as the invasion commenced).

People just want to use the invasion to score petty partisan points here in the US, what else is new? It's exactly this kind of "house divided" status that Putin knows he can take advantage of. Instead of informed discussion that takes into account Ukrainian-Russian history, the contention over NATO's eastward expansion, and the utility and effectiveness of sanctions, across the internet all I see is crap about Biden is the worst president ever, Trump is Putin's best buddy...

Stop with the petty BS. If you want to say that sanctions are not strong enough and need to be harsher, fine (sanctions can be incredibly effective even if their effect is not immediate). If you want to say that we need to deploy troops to Ukraine right now and start fighting the Russians, then say so. (And I'll never understand those who say sanctions are ineffective but don't want to get militarily involved. So then what should we actually do?)

Most Americans (and Europeans), politicians and civilians alike, do not want to risk nuclear war with Russia. I'm not saying whether we should or shouldn't. But it's easy to be an armchair general and say we're being "weak" when the alternative could be something catastrophic on a level beyond what's happening in Ukraine. This conflict, I should add, is not all about the U.S.
    • Seems someone here doesn'tt like Joe B.
      Hopefully he doesn't support this oranged sitting genius in Florida.

The past few days I've heard a lot about the Nord Stream, on which Germany is economically dependent. One reason why German politicians keep a low profile when it comes to the Ukraine conflict.

It seems to me like they have no spine for to speak out a robust stand against Russia.

Anyway, I hope that they will at least take in a lot of refugees when all the stuff in Ukraine gets worst.
    • nibri wrote:

Seems someone here doesn'tt like Joe B.
      Hopefully he doesn't support this oranged sitting genius in Florida.

The past few days I've heard a lot about the Nord Stream, on which Germany is economically dependent. One reason why German politicians keep a low profile when it comes to the Ukraine conflict.

It seems to me like they have no spine for to speak out a robust stand against Russia.

Anyway, I hope that they will at least take in a lot of refugees when all the stuff in Ukraine gets worst.
      Germany denied certifying the Nord pipeline before Russia crossed the border, knowing the impact. And that refusal to certify may possibly be financially catastrophic for Russia and those that financed the pipeline
    • HeyCameron wrote:

ChrisC05 wrote:

Our crap POTUS could stay awake long enough to fight his way out of a wet paper bag

No NATO member is interested in going to war in Ukraine (an intent which was made pretty explicit almost as soon as the invasion commenced).

People just want to use the invasion to score petty partisan points here in the US, what else is new? It's exactly this kind of "house divided" status that Putin knows he can take advantage of. Instead of informed discussion that takes into account Ukrainian-Russian history, the contention over NATO's eastward expansion, and the utility and effectiveness of sanctions, across the internet all I see is crap about Biden is the worst president ever, Trump is Putin's best buddy...

Stop with the petty BS. If you want to say that sanctions are not strong enough and need to be harsher, fine (sanctions can be incredibly effective even if their effect is not immediate). If you want to say that we need to deploy troops to Ukraine right now and start fighting the Russians, then say so. (And I'll never understand those who say sanctions are ineffective but don't want to get militarily involved. So then what should we actually do?)

Most Americans (and Europeans), politicians and civilians alike, do not want to risk nuclear war with Russia. I'm not saying whether we should or shouldn't. But it's easy to be an armchair general and say we're being "weak" when the alternative could be something catastrophic on a level beyond what's happening in Ukraine. This conflict, I should add, is not all about the U.S.
      U.S. used to be.a force and when our president spoke other nations would listen now we have presidents who would rather sit back and play it easy. We need a president who is not afraid to.push the limits not fall a sleep at the helm
    • ChrisC05 wrote:

HeyCameron wrote:

ChrisC05 wrote:

U.S. used to be.a force and when our president spoke other nations would listen now we have presidents who would rather sit back and play it easy. We need a president who is not afraid to.push the limits not fall a sleep at the helm
      it’s not like fighting pushovers in the Middle East
      It’s Russia
      They’re nuclear and capable
      A ground war would be too destructive
      They’re hitting them financially, it’s best to try those options before outright world war
    • ChrisC05 wrote:

noemie wrote:

The crap potus was voted out, you know the one who supports Putin and is basically owned by him because the Trump co has been heavily funded by Russia for a long time
      well we can agree to disagree which one is the bigger piece of shit
      It’s not agreeing to disagree, Biden isn’t a piece of shit
      He’s better, isn’t a coward, isn’t owned by Russia etc, doesn’t set records for lies and vacation time or even have to pay for sex :P
    • ChrisC05 wrote:

I think your statement actually applies more to Russia than US. When they say something every country listens, including US. When US said something, Russia and allied countries didn't.

WW2
      Russia single handedly pushed back against Nazis (creating the Soviet Union and iron curtain)
      US join Europe in support. And only win in Asia after Japan surrender due to nuclear weapons

Cold War
      Russia and Allies didn't exactly listen to US. And in space apart from a human on the Moon. Russia did everything first

War on terrorism
      US got terrorists activists. Russia supplied weapons and support to countries (AK47 is the gun used in terrorism and rebellions)

Currently Europe can't sanction Russian gas because they depend on it. Russia couldn't really give a =O (short term) because they became self sufficient

So who is actually the world power, US or Russia?

"If you try to follow fashion you'll always be chasing, and probably never catch it. If you be yourself and make your own style, fashion might just bump into you one day."
    • HeyCameron wrote:

^Europe will have to cut their dependance on Russian fuel. Yes, there will be an economic hit at first, but it will be worth it in the long-run. That is something that would truly isolate Russia.
      To do that we would have to rely on browncoal and peat which we have plenty. Not permanently but long enough to build something more sustainable in quantities that do matter.
      Its all about political will o lack of it.
    • BJade wrote:

ChrisC05 wrote:

I think your statement actually applies more to Russia than US. When they say something every country listens, including US. When US said something, Russia and allied countries didn't.
      WW2
      Russia single handedly pushed back against Nazis (creating the Soviet Union and iron curtain)
      US join Europe in support. And only win in Asia after Japan surrender due to nuclear weapons

Cold War
      Russia and Allies didn't exactly listen to US. And in space apart from a human on the Moon. Russia did everything first

War on terrorism
      US got terrorists activists. Russia supplied weapons and support to countries (AK47 is the gun used in terrorism and rebellions)

Currently Europe can't sanction Russian gas because they depend on it. Russia couldn't really give a =O (short term) because they became self sufficient

that is true Russia is a super power and the US is no longer. As I said US "USE" to be a power and no country wanted to be a war with us but ever since 9-11 we have fallen that war could have ended so much quicker but we piddle footed around like we didn't even know what to do, and seems to be getting weaker with each pansy president we elect. All I was saying is the US will most likely sit this war out and let the big boys fight.
    • Watching BBC News and they showed video of a Russian armored vehicle diverting it's path to intentionally drive over a civilian vehicle, the vid showed the driver, an elderly man, apparently unhurt

They also quoted Putin as saying he didn't send troops to rule Ukraine, merely to ensure they were independent. How is Ukraine NOT independent when they hold democratic elections?

NATO countries are not going into Ukraine at the moment because Ukraine isn't a NATO member and Putin knows if any of them do it's an act of war against Russia. Russia has about 6000 nuclear weapons according to news reports, more than any other country, and Putin issued a veiled threat about potentially using them
    • ChrisC05 wrote:

BJade wrote:

ChrisC05 wrote:

I think your statement actually applies more to Russia than US. When they say something every country listens, including US. When US said something, Russia and allied countries didn't.WW2

Cold War

War on terrorism

that is true Russia is a super power and the US is no longer. As I said US "USE" to be a power and no country wanted to be a war with us but ever since 9-11 we have fallen that war could have ended so much quicker but we piddle footed around like we didn't even know what to do, and seems to be getting weaker with each pansy president we elect. All I was saying is the US will most likely sit this war out and let the big boys fight.
      when was this time no one wanted a war with the US? I've just give nearly the last 100 years (which if you include WW1 and supply boat sinkings it would be over 100 years)