Is masturbating common

• Gabraham247 wrote:

Impossible to know the exact percentage of people who do it because people lie. But it's got to be over 90% who have done it in their lives. I bet like 50-80+% of American teens have done it in the past month.
    I think historically, people were probably more given to lying than they are now. That is probably why some of professional surveys were worded the way they were, for example, reporting that 95% (IIRC) of men have masturbated "at some time in their lives" or that some percentage have done it in the last month.

Wording the question like that gives people the chance to say yes while it while it is plausible that it was something they did in the past but not now. But both comments made in other forums and the few discussions I have had with other guys, including those with girlfriends, is that most young guys cum regularly, often daily or more, and on those days they don't have sex they will masturbate.

It is surely at least as common as any official survey had found and probably more common.
  • musicalguy wrote:

Yes I would say that alot of people do but a majority of my male friends barely/never masturbate. I personally don't get why not but I guess they aren't all that horny/just have never felt like doing it.
    You can't believe everything people say. People lie. Especially about something as personal as sex or masturbation. I have one friend who says he doesn't bate. For him it's religious. He's catholic. I know many Catholics bate, but not all. I'm sure he gets horny and has urges but he just resists them. Everyone gets urges to bate or have sex unless there's physically something wrong.
  • Gabraham247 wrote:

musicalguy wrote:

Yes I would say that alot of people do but a majority of my male friends barely/never masturbate. I personally don't get why not but I guess they aren't all that horny/just have never felt like doing it.
    You can't believe everything people say. People lie. Especially about something as personal as sex or masturbation. I have one friend who says he doesn't bate. For him it's religious. He's catholic. I know many Catholics bate, but not all. I'm sure he gets horny and has urges but he just resists them. Everyone gets urges to bate or have sex unless there's physically something wrong.
    Im aware about that, but its not a religious thing its more like he isn't sexual at all (asexual) so I assume he don't get said urges.

pahern0317 wrote:

musicalguy wrote:

did you take a survey among your male friends? Cuz, I can't imagine a teen boy admitting to his friends that he don't jerk. LOL!
    Lol, it was more like a conversion that came up once.

Our friend group isn't one that talks about that stuff like ever and it's always as a joke and non-serious. Plus I think they just don't care if they are missing out on jerking off.
    Bored 24/7 feel free to pm whenever :D
  • Gabraham247 wrote:

...I have one friend who says he doesn't bate. For him it's religious. He's catholic...
    Ok, I don;t know him but it seems like there are at least two possibilities. Either you're right and he has such a s strong religious conviction that he manages to avoid masturbating, or he does it anyway but, because he's Catholic, feels like he needs to deny it.
  • pahern0317 wrote:

did you take a survey among your male friends? Cuz, I can't imagine a teen boy admitting to his friends that he don't jerk. LOL!
    It's funny how this changed. When I first started, most other guys would deny they do it, then it changed to being more open about it. Unless we're really utight about it, most of us get to a point where we would be more concerned if people thought we didn't masturbate because that would be odd and maybe indicate we haven't been developing properly.
  • pahern0317 wrote:

I am Catholic as are my friends. We all masterbate. So far, nobody has gone blind.
    I am not sure what being Catholic and the myth that masturbation would make you blind have to do with each other, except that some of the leaders of the Catholic church may like to allow such myths to circulate.

A lot of complete nonsense has been said and written about masturbation in the past. For things like haiy palms, making us blind or anything else where a physical effect is claimed we can prove that not to be true.

Religious rules are slighly different. I can, and have, argued that some religious texts have been misinterpreted by some established churches. But ultimately, religion is about what you believe and there is no requirement for anyone's god to be consistent.
  • Sean2001 wrote:

pahern0317 wrote:

I am Catholic as are my friends. We all masterbate. So far, nobody has gone blind.
    I am not sure what being Catholic and the myth that masturbation would make you blind have to do with each other, except that some of the leaders of the Catholic church may like to allow such myths to circulate.
    A lot of complete nonsense has been said and written about masturbation in the past. For things like haiy palms, making us blind or anything else where a physical effect is claimed we can prove that not to be true.

Religious rules are slighly different. I can, and have, argued that some religious texts have been misinterpreted by some established churches. But ultimately, religion is about what you believe and there is no requirement for anyone's god to be consistent.
    Sean,

We Catholic boys all joke about the myths concocted over the years. Blindness is an old saw that has been going around for decades. Nobody takes it seriously, we just throw it out there.

Plus, if you have gone through Catholic elementary schools with the nuns, they can sometimes come out with some pretty wild things.

In the end though, its all good.