Queen Elizabeth II has died

• BlueJake wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

good riddance may her time in hell be long and painful

we should take this opportunity to end the monarchy
      You’re a horrible cunt
      I can only support your comment. It's best I leave it to your comment. He shows no respect for an icon and so doing no self-respect
      Live for today
    • smithy21 wrote:

Jaret wrote:

If You Can't say Anything Nice, Don't Say Anything At All.
      if you dont want people to talk badly of you when your dead, dont be an horrible person when your alive
      Jaret's right. Yo may have a point and opinion but that doesn't belong in this thread. This thread is all about condolences or such in honor of an very old lady who just passed away. You're 18, so you're an adult. Act accordingly. If you want a discussion about the sense or nonsense of monarchy, open a separate thread.
    • nibri wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

Jaret wrote:

If You Can't say Anything Nice, Don't Say Anything At All.
      if you dont want people to talk badly of you when your dead, dont be an horrible person when your alive
      Jaret's right. Yo may have a point and opinion but that doesn't belong in this thread. This thread is all about condolences or such in honor of an very old lady who just passed away. You're 18, so you're an adult. Act accordingly. If you want a discussion about the sense or nonsense of monarchy, open a separate thread.
      It makes me sad that someone would even say something like that. Seriously. WTF.
    • When I learned of the passing of HRM Queen Elizabeth II I was sadden like most of the people in the world. Queen Elizabeth II was beloved by the people of the UK and the Commonwealth, as well as most of us here in the USA too. Thirteen presidents of the USA had met her. She was friendly with all of them. She maintained the unbreakable tries between the UK and the USA. She epitomized what a ruler should be about. In the history of the British monarchy, she stands out as a monarch at the top of the list. Her son, King Charles III has a daunting role before him to continue where his mum left off. God Save The King!
      Vivimus Volare, Volamus Vivere,
    • D. Falcon_11 wrote:

When I learned of the passing of HRM Queen Elizabeth II I was sadden like most of the people in the world. Queen Elizabeth II was beloved by the people of the UK and the Commonwealth, as well as most of us here in the USA too. Thirteen presidents of the USA had met her. She was friendly with all of them. She maintained the unbreakable tries between the UK and the USA. She epitomized what a ruler should be about. In the history of the British monarchy, she stands out as a monarch at the top of the list. Her son, King Charles III has a daunting role before him to continue where his mum left off. God Save The King!
      ruling over half the world for 70 years after not a single person voted for you is what a ruler should be about? if you want to be respectful or sad or whatever fine but dont whitewash her reign or the anti-democratic nature of her job.
    • smithy21 wrote:

D. Falcon_11 wrote:

When I learned of the passing of HRM Queen Elizabeth II I was sadden like most of the people in the world. Queen Elizabeth II was beloved by the people of the UK and the Commonwealth, as well as most of us here in the USA too. Thirteen presidents of the USA had met her. She was friendly with all of them. She maintained the unbreakable tries between the UK and the USA. She epitomized what a ruler should be about. In the history of the British monarchy, she stands out as a monarch at the top of the list. Her son, King Charles III has a daunting role before him to continue where his mum left off. God Save The King!
      ruling over half the world for 70 years after not a single person voted for you is what a ruler should be about? if you want to be respectful or sad or whatever fine but dont whitewash her reign or the anti-democratic nature of her job.
      Fair enough to question the democratic nature of monarchy - though I think you’re wrong to the say the Queen ruled over half the world for 70 years. She was (just as Charles will be) a constitutional monarch with no real power. If you think anything the UK has done in the last 70 years, good or bad, has had anything to do with the Queen, you’re wrong.
      But saying you think the monarchy is undemocratic and should be abolished is one thing, saying as you did that she was evil and you hope she burns in hell for a long time was just horrible.
    • smithy21 wrote:

D. Falcon_11 wrote:

maybe you should read this

news.sky.com/story/which-count…as-head-of-state-12073304

She is the Head of State of a number of countries and the leader of the commonwealth. Both titles are mostly symbolic and have in most contries be voted for or discussed if it should be kept

Good Friend :play: Kinda Romantic :love: Ready to Rock :zomg:

"If you try to follow fashion you'll always be chasing, and probably never catch it. If you be yourself and make your own style, fashion might just bump into you one day."
    • BJade wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

D. Falcon_11 wrote:

maybe you should read this
      news.sky.com/story/which-count…as-head-of-state-12073304

She is the Head of State of a number of countries and the leader of the commonwealth. Both titles are mostly symbolic and have in most contries be voted for or discussed if it should be kept
      I totally am in agreement with Hannah and Jade. Smithy, on the other hand, I totally disagree with your assertions about the British monarchy. I don't know if you are British or what; and I don't care to know. But I must say that you are totally ignorant of recent British history as it pertains to HRM Queen Elizabeth II. Under her reign she has overseen the freeing of many countries what were a part of the British Empire. Most of those countries are in the Commonwealth. Many of them, for the most part, are stable democracies. In the UK the monarchy is a constitutional monarchy with no real political power. The political power rests in Parliament which is elected by the people. Yes, like most nations they have been through good times and bad times. But the UK isn't a totalitarian state where sole power is held by a leader or oligarchy. I suggest that you take a little time to to research the many accomplishments and benefits that Queen Elizabeth has done on behalf of the British people, Commonwealth and the World, in general. I'm sure that you will see how wrong you are in besmirching her name and legacy.
      Vivimus Volare, Volamus Vivere,
    • smithy21 wrote:

good riddance may her time in hell be long and painful

we should take this opportunity to end the monarchy
      It is fine to have a debate about whether a republic would be an improvement over a constitutional monarchy, and to me it is not completely clear. I would say a republic is absolutely better than an absolute monarchy but a constitutional monarchy,, where the monarch does not exercise any real power but does whatever parliament chooses, is a popular model in many countries old enough to have once been absolute monarchies.

But whatever system you have, money talks and as long as wealth can be inherited, that means some people are born to have more influence than others. The monarchy may be who we all think of in that context but there are plenty of others and a mixture of wealth inherited in the form of land that had once been the gift of a former monarch and wealth build up from industry.

Even in the USA, which is a republic, money talks. The president may be democratically elected but it takes a lot of money to campaign and become president and the only thing worse than someone having that money themselves through inheritance, rather than having earned it, is for someone else, unseen and unelected, to put up the money in exchange for influence over what the president subsequently does as, unlike the British Monarch, the president has executive power.

But, however you view the institution of monarchy, saying that you wish our former Queen burns in hell is unnecessarily personal and nasty.
    • This is the poem written in memory of Queen Elizabeth written by the UK’s Poet Laureate, Simon Armitage.

Note how the first letter of each line spells out her name.

Evening will come, however determined the late afternoon,
      Limes and oaks in their last green flush, pearled in September mist.
      I have conjured a lily to light these hours, a token of thanks,
      Zones and auras of soft glare framing the brilliant globes.
      A promise made and kept for life - that was your gift -
      Because of which, here is a gift in return, glovewort to some,
      Each shining bonnet guarded by stern lance-like leaves.
      The country loaded its whole self into your slender hands,
      Hands that can rest, now, relieved of a century's weight.

Evening has come. Rain on the black lochs and dark Munros.
      Lily of the Valley, a namesake almost, a favourite flower
      Interlaced with your famous bouquets, the restrained
      Zeal and forceful grace of its lanterns, each inflorescence
      A silent bell disguising a singular voice. A blurred new day
      Breaks uncrowned on remote peaks and public parks, and
      Everything turns on these luminous petals and deep roots,
      This lily that thrives between spire and tree, whose brightness
      Holds and glows beyond the life and border of its bloom.