Elections and Voting

• He was the leader of USSR, not really known for there open fair politics

Look at Putin. Get the government to make you leader, and all resign there jobs. And you have the people who count the votes (the government) deciding everything. And the people who vote (the general population) having no say

But I'm sure in a lot of countries the normal people (voters) don't have much say. How often do promises during elections change, and people with money/power influence them? And not having confidence in the elected leaders?

Good Friend :play: Kinda Romantic :love: Ready to Rock :zomg:

"If you try to follow fashion you'll always be chasing, and probably never catch it. If you be yourself and make your own style, fashion might just bump into you one day."
    • BJade wrote:

He was the leader of USSR, not really known for there open fair politics

Look at Putin. Get the government to make you leader, and all resign there jobs. And you have the people who count the votes (the government) deciding everything. And the people who vote (the general population) having no say

But I'm sure in a lot of countries the normal people (voters) don't have much say. How often do promises during elections change, and people with money/power influence them? And not having confidence in the elected leaders?
      Why bother counting the votes when there is only one candidate on the ballot
    • Jaret wrote:

BJade wrote:

He was the leader of USSR, not really known for there open fair politics

Why bother counting the votes when there is only one candidate on the ballot
      to give people the illusion they have a choice. Though I think there'd usually be a really bad opposition who had no chance

Just this week the UK government had a survey that was pretty much one candidate

theguardian.com/politics/2022/…sures-consultation-brexit

If you had a choice, would you want to purchase items: i) in imperial units ii) in imperial units alongside a metric equivalent

So on a vote on if people want metric or imperial measurement, 100% would say imperial in some form, and 0% would say just metric ?(

And forget to say currently imperial measurements can be used as long as metric is the more prominent

Good Friend :play: Kinda Romantic :love: Ready to Rock :zomg:

"If you try to follow fashion you'll always be chasing, and probably never catch it. If you be yourself and make your own style, fashion might just bump into you one day."
    • nibri wrote:

Jaret wrote:

But did you ever hear this quote?

ef

It sounds like what we see today.
      What do you think?
      Don't tell the Reps about it. Those information should be highly classified.
      Josef Vissarionovich Djughashvili (a.k.a. Joe Stalin) born in Georgia (not the USA state) in 1878 was a mass murderer responsible for the deaths of an estimated 40,000,000 people mostly Russian, Ukrainians and some others, He is only topped by Chairman Mao Tse Tung of China (PRC) who out did him as a mass murderer of 60,000,000 people, mostly Chinese.

Two Amigos!
      Vivimus Volare, Volamus Vivere,
    • D. Falcon_11 wrote:

nibri wrote:

Jaret wrote:

But did you ever hear this quote?

ef

It sounds like what we see today.
      What do you think?
      Don't tell the Reps about it. Those information should be highly classified.
      Josef Vissarionovich Djughashvili (a.k.a. Joe Stalin) born in Georgia (not the USA state) in 1878 was a mass murderer responsible for the deaths of an estimated 40,000,000 people most Russian, Ukrainians and other. He is only topped my Chairman Mao Tse Tung of China (PRC) who out did him as a mass murderer of 60,000,000 people, mostly Chinese.
      Two Amigos!
      + second world war victims
    • While Stalin was powerful enough to put millions to death, he didn't have the superpower of Donald Trump, who simply can telepathically declassify classified files.

Although I'm amazed that he's even capable of thinking, since so much nonsense escapes from his mouth that it gives me the impression he has no brain.

Suspiciously mysterious. In the end he was just pretending and wasn't lying when he said he's a stable genius. Such a mastermind.
    • Even if Trump worships dictators and prefers authoritarian systems to democratic ones, he is actually more concerned with making a profit from his supporters. He's a natural born con-man, so he quickly learned how to make money from what he calls politics which isn't really his thing, as we learned to now.

And he was quickly disappointed that as President he didn't have the power to do whatever he wanted as he expected. And that is almost the main reason why he followed the insane suggestion to win the election through a kind of attempted putch with his speech on the later Capitol strikers and initiated the storming of the Capitol.

As said before, Trump is a con-man and a narcissist, and doesn't really have what it takes for to rule as a true dictator. But he has opened the door for those who might actually be real dictators to seize the opportunity to eventually install something akin to a dictatorship in the country in the long term.

So it is not too far from reality for political commentators to warn that the Democracy in the US is currently in jeopardy. But that's a thing which evolves over years and it'll be a true challenge to political activists to be constantly vigilant and to keep urging voters to vote.
    • nibri wrote:

While Stalin was powerful enough to put millions to death, he didn't have the superpower of Donald Trump, who simply can telepathically declassify classified files.

Although I'm amazed that he's even capable of thinking, since so much nonsense escapes from his mouth that it gives me the impression he has no brain.

Suspiciously mysterious. In the end he was just pretending and wasn't lying when he said he's a stable genius. Such a mastermind.
      The President of the United States has the power, while in office, to declassify any classified documents at any time or moment. This power to declassify is embedded in the U.S. Constitution under Article II, Sections 1 and 2. Section 1 reads "The executive Power shall be vested in the President of the United States...etc" Under Section I the president is the supreme leader of the Executive Branch of the government of the USA. What he said goes in that department. Section II reads, "The President shall be Commander-in-Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States and of the Militias of the several states when called into actual service of the United States;...etc". This section grants authority to the president as Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces to classify or declassify all public documents. This authority has been upheld by many executive orders of several former presidents dating back to the era of World War II and affirmed recent in 2009 by President Obama's executive order on this matter. Whether President Trump officially or "dreamed it" his power to declassify classified document is backed by the Constitution and several executive orders of former presidents. Now, this matter may have to be decided by the SCOTUS. But until the justices render a decision all the documents seized from Mar-A-Lago are declassified. The DOJ has no authority to say otherwise because the DOJ is part of the Executive Branch of the government headed by the president of the United States.
    • The thing here isn't to question the president's granted power to classify or declassify documents.

The thing, imo, here is that Trump wove in an aside that it doesn't matter if he orders a classification or declassification as President by speaking this out loud or if he just thinks it. Of course, just thinking about it isn't an official documented and recognizable process of communication. And just that made him a fool ... again.

He seemingly really doesn't control some or even most of the stuff what he's saying. It's sort of like he having swarms of thoughts buzzing around like flies in his head and while he's talking he suddenly catches a thought, sorta like Mr Miyagi trying to catch a fly with his chopsticks, but in case of Donald T. he's catching always the wrong thought and immediately speaks it out loud.
    • I was just stating the fact that Trump or any sitting president has the power and authority granted by the Constitution to classify or declassify any or all government documents There is no higher authority over the president to prevent him from doing this, certainly not the Department of Justice nor the Congress. If indeed Trump did declassify the documents, he took to Mara-A-Lago no judicial body can indite him for a crime. What methods that he used to do this declassification, i.e., signing a legal document, saying it out load, or even "thinking it inside his head", the fact remains that he did nothing illegal or commit a criminal act that he could be indited for.

Let's face the facts here about this drama. It is nothing but naked politics where the democrats and President Biden are desperate to use any tool in their toolbox to prevent Trump from running for president again in 2024. They think that Trump would beat the democrat candidate in 2024. They want him out of contention.

On a personal note, I think Trump is a lunatic and should never be president again. But IMHO compared to Biden or Harris he comes across as a genius!
    • D. Falcon_11 wrote:

I was just stating the fact that Trump or any sitting president has the power and authority granted by the Constitution to classify or declassify any or all government documents There is no higher authority over the president to prevent him from doing this, certainly not the Department of Justice nor the Congress. If indeed Trump did declassify the documents, he took to Mara-A-Lago no judicial body can indite him for a crime. What methods that he used to do this declassification, i.e., signing a legal document, saying it out load, or even "thinking it inside his head", the fact remains that he did nothing illegal or commit a criminal act that he could be indited for.

Let's face the facts here about this drama. It is nothing but naked politics where the democrats and President Biden are desperate to use any tool in their toolbox to prevent Trump from running for president again in 2024. They think that Trump would beat the democrat candidate in 2024. They want him out of contention.

On a personal note, I think Trump is a lunatic and should never be president again. But IMHO compared to Biden or Harris he comes across as a genius!
      he can declassify to a point, it’s a system with checks and balances so one person/pillar doesn’t have supreme and unquestionable power

if there is no evidence / paper trail of having declassified secrets and documents then it doesn’t count - his Hannity thing saying if he says it or even thinks it then it’s done is nonsense

and no, compared to Biden and Harris Trump is still a barely literate clown