Elections and Voting

• Kyle07 wrote:

BlackParadePixie wrote:

Kyle07 wrote:

Looking pretty good so far
      Pity about Florida, going to get worse there for a while :(
      what exactly is going to get "worse" ??
      If you have friends or family in the LGBTQ community, particularly if they’re trans - they’ll be able to tell you why DeSantis and the GOP securing more power in FL is a problem there and elsewhereHe’s crooked af
      The idiots even re-elected Matt Gaetz, he’s still being investigated for child sex offenses/trafficking

they’re bad news

I get you’ve got the ingrained they’re republicans therefore they’re better because they’re not democrats conditioning… but do try think about it

It’s so cultish. People will say they love their LGBT and other minority friends and then vote for people who don’t want those friends to even exist
      Investigation into Gaetz has ended, not enough evidence to bring charges. Guess his corrupt friend didn't have the goods on him they thought he had, or claimed to have.
    • D. Falcon_11 wrote:

The biggest problem for the democrats is its "leader" President Joe Biden. The Greeks have a saying, "a rotten fish stinks from its head". As I see it, the democrats offer no real solutions to the many problems confronting the USA. In fact, they are denying that the USA has any problems on any levels, i.e., Inflation (8.5%), crime running rampart in major cities, energy prices going through the roof since Biden took office, chaos on the U.S/Mexico border (4.8 million illegal migrants crossing the border since 2021), shortage of diesel fuel, supply chain disruptions, withdrawal from Afghanistan debacle, the many problem with his son, Hunter and his laptop, rogue FBI and DOJ agents, and great many violations of rights of U.S. citizens as guaranteed under the Constitution, as amended.
      What are the republicans answers? I haven't heard any, other than McConnel saying they'll let America know once they have power back. In the 2020 election they decided they didn't need to announce a platform at all.

Mick01 wrote:

D. Falcon_11 wrote:

The biggest problem for the democrats is its "leader" President Joe Biden. The Greeks have a saying, "a rotten fish stinks from its head". As I see it, the democrats offer no real solutions to the many problems confronting the USA. In fact, they are denying that the USA has any problems on any levels, i.e., Inflation (8.5%), crime running rampart in major cities, energy prices going through the roof since Biden took office, chaos on the U.S/Mexico border (4.8 million illegal migrants crossing the border since 2021), shortage of diesel fuel, supply chain disruptions, withdrawal from Afghanistan debacle, the many problem with his son, Hunter and his laptop, rogue FBI and DOJ agents, and great many violations of rights of U.S. citizens as guaranteed under the Constitution, as amended.
      1. D. Falcon has some diarrhea of the brain going on. Lots of shit is coming out but nothing is formed or solid. His mission is to blame everything on Biden.
      2. Democrats are denying that anything is wrong on any level? What democrats are saying that? Or is it literally every democrat and do you really believe that?
      3. Crime running "rampart" (think you mean rampant) in every city? It was under Trump as well. So Biden should have a solution to that in 18 months in office but Trump is off the hook after doing nothing in 4 years? What party gets most of their donations from the NRA?
      4. Supply chain disruptions? Do you actually know when they started? During COVID when Trump wanted people to swallow disinfectant for protection from the virus.
      5. Migrants crossing the border? How about Trump separating children from their parents? Seems chaotic and cruel to me.
      6. Great many violations of rights of citizens? Like voting rights? Abortion rights? Gay marriage?Oh wait, the republicans are driving that. Tell me Falcon, what has Biden done to violate the rights of citizens, as amended (whatever the fuck that means).
      7. And please tell me specifics on rogue FBI and DOJ employees. Once again, please be specific and no generalities. Who are the rogues?
      8. And wtf does Hunter Biden have to do with problems facing our country?

• nibri wrote:

Uplevel the voting age to 21? I wonder what happens if they either lower it down to sixteen/fifteen.
      it would be interesting but I think it’s fair to leave it at 18/adult/military age

but so typical of the conservatives- young people turn up and mostly got blue and so they immediately recommend denying the young the vote because they’re sore losers who believe in rigging and cheating
    • Ah yes, young people. Eternally the scapegoat. Whether it’s our apathy or our activism, we’re always simultaneously doing too little and too much and ripe for blame. Harping on about trans kids, banning books, and furries in first grade does not an appealing message to young voters make.

This election was pushback against Biden, as most midterms are against the sitting president, but more interestingly it was pushback against Trump’s brand, seeing as how only Vance (a former never-Trumper, mind you) among the most significant Trump-backed candidates seemed to benefit from it. And now you have a potential rift between DeSantis and Trump…

It turns out Florida is not a microcosm of the U.S. It’s just the red version of California.

Moreover, when given the chance to vote on an abortion ban, even voters in solidly red states like Kansas and Kentucky reject it. Turns out they like state government control over medical decisions as much as they like federal. And everyone thinks inflation is bad, more people are willing to blame Biden for it than anything else, but I didn’t hear any concrete solutions to it floated during this campaign period, did you?

Anyway, just thought I’d drop by. :S I won't be participating in any bickering back-and-forth arguments, but I'm open to substantive discussion. :thumbsup:
    • Kyle07 wrote:

BlackParadePixie wrote:

Kyle07 wrote:

D. Falcon_11 wrote:

November 8, 2022 is national election day in USA. Pollsters and "wonk" pundits are predicting a "Red Wave" will put the Republicans in control of the Senate and House.

What are your prediction? Red Wave or Blue Wave?
      It’s looking more like blue not red, but only if people get out and vote and the Republicans don’t try steal it again
      :lol: what fairytale land do you live in??
      I guess we’ll see :)
      They’re the only one with actual plans other than the right wingers agendas like banning abortion
      Don’t you want a party that actually considers womens rights and the environment and making big business etc pay their fair share instead of the middle class getting it in the butt?
      Hmm, seemed to pretty much work out as you said, didn't it?
    • HeyCameron wrote:

Ah yes, young people. Eternally the scapegoat. Whether it’s our apathy or our activism, we’re always simultaneously doing too little and too much and ripe for blame. Harping on about trans kids, banning books, and furries in first grade does not an appealing message to young voters make.

This election was pushback against Biden, as most midterms are against the sitting president, but more interestingly it was pushback against Trump’s brand, seeing as how only Vance (a former never-Trumper, mind you) among the most significant Trump-backed candidates seemed to benefit from it. And now you have a potential rift between DeSantis and Trump…

It turns out Florida is not a microcosm of the U.S. It’s just the red version of California.

Moreover, when given the chance to vote on an abortion ban, even voters in solidly red states like Kansas and Kentucky reject it. Turns out they like state government control over medical decisions as much as they like federal. And everyone thinks inflation is bad, more people are willing to blame Biden for it than anything else, but I didn’t hear any concrete solutions to it floated during this campaign period, did you?

Anyway, just thought I’d drop by. :S I won't be participating in any bickering back-and-forth arguments, but I'm open to substantive discussion. :thumbsup:
      That's a good analysis of what happened. Frightening how close the Senate vote was.

Yeah, saying how inadequate young people are has been traced back to 700 BCE. When Ireland voted to approve gay marriages several years back, it was all because of young people. Young people supported the campaign and strongly voted for it.

I especially like "It turns out Florida is not a microcosm of the U.S. It’s just the red version of California." A very good way to look at it.
    • smithy21 wrote:

Olio wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

having to register to vote is such a weird and somewhat anti-democratic concept
      Why do you say registering to vote is weird and anti-democratic?
      you should just be automatically registered on your 18th birthday. This concept only creates more hoops to jump through to be able to vote.
      Voting is a choice you have to make, and I respect those that opt out but don't complain about results and policies you don't like if you aren't part of the process. Registering used to be a very simple process. Go to your local registrar, show ID and done. Now some groups want that made more difficult for various reasons
    • maseb wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

Olio wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

you should just be automatically registered on your 18th birthday. This concept only creates more hoops to jump through to be able to vote.
      Voting is a choice you have to make, and I respect those that opt out but don't complain about results and policies you don't like if you aren't part of the process. Registering used to be a very simple process. Go to your local registrar, show ID and done. Now some groups want that made more difficult for various reasons
      my point is just that it should be as easy as possible to vote that includes automatic registration
    • smithy21 wrote:

maseb wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

Olio wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

my point is just that it should be as easy as possible to vote that includes automatic registration
      I agree, registering to vote should be easy, and it is. In many cases you can register to vote when you get a driver's license, if you're 18, or when you renew.
      It's necessary to have people register, as we have to declare which party we're in, or unenrolled, if your state offers that, which I think is the best option.
    • I'm not sure if it's the same for other countries but in the UK the Electoral Roll is also used by people to verify you identity. Used for credit check - buying a car, getting a mortgage or getting a phone contract, and gives you a better credit score just by being on it. And if you want to rent a house Landlords might check the register to help verify who you are. It can also be used by businesses or charities for mailing lists and marketing purposes.

So even when there's nothing to vote for (every year or less at times it seems), we still have to keep our registration details upto date

Good Friend :play: Kinda Romantic :love: Ready to Rock :zomg:

"If you try to follow fashion you'll always be chasing, and probably never catch it. If you be yourself and make your own style, fashion might just bump into you one day."
    • BJade wrote:

I'm not sure if it's the same for other countries but in the UK the Electoral Roll is also used by people to verify you identity. Used for credit check - buying a car, getting a mortgage or getting a phone contract, and gives you a better credit score just by being on it. And if you want to rent a house Landlords might check the register to help verify who you are. It can also be used by businesses or charities for mailing lists and marketing purposes.

So even when there's nothing to vote for (every year or less at times it seems), we still have to keep our registration details upto date
      That's interesting. I think in the US it's only used for confirming the person is eligible to vote and as one of many sources of names for choosing juror candidates. But the records are open to the public.
    • I learned that in Germany you'll come of legal age at 18. Turning 18 you'll automatically registered as a potential voter. If you want it or not. On an election day, you simply go to the next polling station or how ever they call it, identify yourself as a certified citizen by showing your ID. Then off you go straight to the polling booth and vote hell out of the ballots. Simple as that.
    • Kyle07 wrote:

nibri wrote:

Uplevel the voting age to 21? I wonder what happens if they either lower it down to sixteen/fifteen.
      it would be interesting but I think it’s fair to leave it at 18/adult/military age
      but so typical of the conservatives- young people turn up and mostly got blue and so they immediately recommend denying the young the vote because they’re sore losers who believe in rigging and cheating
      I think that the voting age should be lowered, young people, contrary to appearances, often think more clearly than many adults, although sometimes they also succumb to emotions, guys grow out of it as a woman, sometimes it stays for good, so sometimes I wonder that Piłsudzki did the right thing when using his of authority forced the Sejm of newly reborn Poland to grant absolute active voting rights to all Polish citizens of both sexes (this is obviously sarcasm) over 18 years of age, American women had to wait for it until 1920 when the 19th Amendments were pushed through the US Congress and Senate, British women until 1928, French women until 1945 and Swiss women until 1971

I personally think that voting rights should be granted according to intelligence and not age, e.g. voting rights for everyone if they have >= 100 IQ ;)
    • Gay-paul wrote:

Kyle07 wrote:

nibri wrote:

it would be interesting but I think it’s fair to leave it at 18/adult/military agebut so typical of the conservatives- young people turn up and mostly got blue and so they immediately recommend denying the young the vote because they’re sore losers who believe in rigging and cheating
      I think that the voting age should be lowered, young people, contrary to appearances, often think more clearly than many adults, although sometimes they also succumb to emotions, guys grow out of it as a woman, sometimes it stays for good, so sometimes I wonder that Piłsudzki did the right thing when using his of authority forced the Sejm of newly reborn Poland to grant absolute active voting rights to all Polish citizens of both sexes (this is obviously sarcasm) over 18 years of age, American women had to wait for it until 1920 when the 19th Amendments were pushed through the US Congress and Senate, British women until 1928, French women until 1945 and Swiss women until 1971
      I personally think that voting rights should be granted according to intelligence and not age, e.g. voting rights for everyone if they have >= 100 IQ ;)
      that would eliminate the Trump voters at least