Was that Inappropriate!

• Was that Inappropriate!

So at school today a teacher actually comes in the boys area to say something to a student. Couldn't make it out clearly but in was in regard to the students lateness.

My opinion is, it's a boys locker room/ changing area that's connected to a shower room which means you have boys walking in and out of the area butt naked back and forth. One of the guys was upset and ask the teacher to leave and they replied they have sons and have seen them.

Am I wrong.
    • CayceStars wrote:

It's inappropriate, regardless of sex or age (or even if its a "coach" or teacher). That's a private area, and it's wrong just to enter it....even before you get to any conversation (which makes it inappropriate multiple times)

Honestly, (if this is a real experience)...there are grounds for removing the teacher
      it's a real experience! I am holding back how I really feel because I don't won't to offend any females.
    • For those saying it would always been inappropriate for an adult to be in an area where students are changing, how is bad behaviour in that area to be avoided? Does the school usually leave students unsupervised in other areas of the school.

Here in the UK the school will be required to have a child protection policy which would deal with things like that. The common arrangement is that adults need to avoid being alone with students and especially avoid being alone 1:1. By having another adult present, neither adult can do anything inappropriate unless the 2nd adult is also in on it. It also means there is a witness that nothing inappropriate happened should there be an accusation.

It does seem very surprising that a teacher would go to the changing room to talk to a student when there must be so many other opportunities to talk to him and I think you're right to be wary of the teacher's motive. Whether that is something that would be punished will depend on the law where you are and and school policy. You can certainly raise the point with someone more senior in the school. If you're aware that the school has someone specifically in charge of safeguarding then that would be the person to talk to.
    • You have a right to feel safe at school, the only reason a coach ( same sex) should enter a locker room while students are changing and showering is to break up a fight. A female coach would never enter the male, nor would a male enter the female locker room at my school
      It does not matter the teacher has children your age or not, she should have waited for the student outside of the locker room.

Since this has effected you one way or another, you need to be proactive on this and report to your student counselor or another administrator, so incidents like this one do not happen in the future.

ChrisC05
    • Amon Ames wrote:

maseb wrote:

Inappropriate regardless of the teacher's gender in my opinion. The locker room is where students should be assured of privacy from anyone just walking in.
      I can tell you me and another student lost that argument and almost got suspended for a day.
      I agree with Maseb's post. Unfortunately, it sounds like your school went with the gender argument. You shouldn't get in trouble for voicing your opinion as long as you stay respectful.
    • In my HS locker room, the coach's room is attached and the female coaches walk through, but they keep it quick.

Of course, we don't get truly naked. The worst they may see is a sports bra. When we change our shorts or pants, the underwear stays on and we always keep shirts on then. Most of us change facing the lockers.
    • What the teacher did was outrageous and indefensible. I think your school administration would agree with that if it had been a male teacher entering a female locker room. But in general, there is less concern about boys' modesty.

I agree with those who say you should talk to your parents about it and have them approach the principal or school board. There is no way this teacher should be teaching. It's not a marginal issue.

That said, I am surprised about people objecting to teachers of the same sex being in the locker room with them, which I've also read about elsewhere.
      In both junior high and high school, the coach's office was in the locker room (the showers were part of the locker room) and in fact, there was a large window so they could monitor what was going on. I thought that was pretty normal. I've seen the same set up in other schools I've visited.

In college of course it's different, but they still come through the locker room in they need something.

The "I have sons" line is lame. You should have said "I have sisters and have seen them. That doesn't mean I can walk into the girls' locker room, does it?"

That said, I did have two female teachers walk in on me in the locker room in 8th grade, but the circumstances were totally different.
    • Amon Ames wrote:

CayceStars wrote:

It's inappropriate, regardless of sex or age (or even if its a "coach" or teacher). That's a private area, and it's wrong just to enter it....even before you get to any conversation (which makes it inappropriate multiple times)

Honestly, (if this is a real experience)...there are grounds for removing the teacher
      it's a real experience! I am holding back how I really feel because I don't won't to offend any females.

Amon Ames wrote:

my main problem is I and two other were butt naked and she could have seen us if we weren't on the row of lockers we were on. I know a male teacher could not have gone in a female area even if he needed to. A male coach got in trouble for breaking up a fight in the girls locker room.
      It doesn't matter if she saw fully clothes boys, half dressed boys, or fully naked boys. A female shouldn't walk into a boys locker room or bathroom and a male shouldn't walk into a girls. Perhaps only in life or death emergencies like a fire or a fight with a gun or knife. Even just a random fistfight it shouldn't happen and certainly not to yell at a kid for being late or whatever.

I got to ask though, why are you holding back? It doesn't look like any females here are offended at you. They're offended at the female teacher.