What age did you start boys

• Sean2001 wrote:

musicalguy wrote:

I have no idea what the second part is on about but to answer the first, I first started masturbating with my hand(s) around 12/13 but ive been having purposeful orgasms as long as I remember as in I used to hump in a certain way and all I knew was that it felt good.
      On the first part, the only thing I have a definite age for is starting to ejaculate which was about 11y9m. I had discovered masturbation a few weeks before that and had started having dry orgasms. Like musicalguy above, I first had an instinctive urge to hump, which felt good and led to the wonderful feeling of orgasm. Then I learned that other guys used their hands and switched to doing it that way.
      As for "realising it is not a regular activity" perhaps John can offer more explanation on this but I wonder if he means realising the connection with sex. If, as happenned for me, masturbation starts with an urge from within and not because of something you've learned and especially if you've not had the talk or covered it in sex-ed, it seems quite natural that one might not make the connection with sex - it is just something that feels great.

Once you start to ejaculate it seems much more likely you would make the connection. By the time most guys start to ejaculate we should have learned enough to know that babies are made by the male transferring his sperm into the female to meet her egg and that the process of doing that is "having sex". Once you are ejaculating you surely must realise that this liquid is how the sperm get transferred from us to the girl/woman and that therefore masturbating must be generating sensations that are sufficiently similar to sex that our bodies respond the same way, i.e. by triggering orgasm and ejaculation.

None of that suggests anything about masturbating being anything other than normal and certainly nothing about how regularly we do it. The connection to sex doesn't make it some abnormal or nasty activity because sex is normal too. Essentially, once we're able to ejaculate it is normal to do so regularly, at first through masturbation and maybe also wet dreams, then later via blow jobs and/or actual sex too.

Sean2001 wrote:

musicalguy wrote:

I have no idea what the second part is on about but to answer the first, I first started masturbating with my hand(s) around 12/13 but ive been having purposeful orgasms as long as I remember as in I used to hump in a certain way and all I knew was that it felt good.
      On the first part, the only thing I have a definite age for is starting to ejaculate which was about 11y9m. I had discovered masturbation a few weeks before that and had started having dry orgasms. Like musicalguy above, I first had an instinctive urge to hump, which felt good and led to the wonderful feeling of orgasm. Then I learned that other guys used their hands and switched to doing it that way.
      As for "realising it is not a regular activity" perhaps John can offer more explanation on this but I wonder if he means realising the connection with sex. If, as happenned for me, masturbation starts with an urge from within and not because of something you've learned and especially if you've not had the talk or covered it in sex-ed, it seems quite natural that one might not make the connection with sex - it is just something that feels great.

Once you start to ejaculate it seems much more likely you would make the connection. By the time most guys start to ejaculate we should have learned enough to know that babies are made by the male transferring his sperm into the female to meet her egg and that the process of doing that is "having sex". Once you are ejaculating you surely must realise that this liquid is how the sperm get transferred from us to the girl/woman and that therefore masturbating must be generating sensations that are sufficiently similar to sex that our bodies respond the same way, i.e. by triggering orgasm and ejaculation.

None of that suggests anything about masturbating being anything other than normal and certainly nothing about how regularly we do it. The connection to sex doesn't make it some abnormal or nasty activity because sex is normal too. Essentially, once we're able to ejaculate it is normal to do so regularly, at first through masturbation and maybe also wet dreams, then later via blow jobs and/or actual sex too.

Sean2001 wrote:

musicalguy wrote:

what I meant was realizing that it wasn't normal to just pull your pants down and or strip naked and just grab your penis and start rubbing it. When did you realize it was something you do in private.
    • John Henry Moore wrote:

what I meant was realizing that it wasn't normal to just pull your pants down and or strip naked and just grab your penis and start rubbing it. When did you realize it was something you do in private.
      So that does seem sort of related to realising it is something sexual.

In my case there wasn't ever a time when I thought it would be OK to either take my dick out and masturbate, or hump, in a normal family room while the rest of the family watched TV. Something told me that something involving my penis wasn't done in those places. I knew it was OK to be naked in the bathroom and in my bedroom but we generally wore clothes in the rest of the house.

There was a brief period at the start where I was ambivalent about being engaged in the humping the bed when my father came into the room, to the point he had to tell me not to do that while he was trying to talk to me. That was certainly before I made the connection between that and sex. That period didn't last very long, certainly not beyond starting to ejaculate and also not beyound switching to using my hand. After that I chose times when I would be unlikely to be interrupted and kept an ear open to avoid being walked in on.
    • LukeP10 wrote:

jessiiam wrote:

I have a question. Is it such a big thing of you boys to know when you started?
      I guess it’s our equivalent of girls comparing when they started their periods
      I would say that or it’s like comparing when your boobs started growing or something, but I guess that’s more of a gradual thing. I mean girls do it too (or maybe not as chatty as guys are about it :P )
    • LukeP10 wrote:

jessiiam wrote:

I have a question. Is it such a big thing of you boys to know when you started?
      I guess it’s our equivalent of girls comparing when they started their periods
      Except that the nearest equivalent thing for a boy to a girl starting to her periods would be ejaculating for the first time, whether that is from masturbating or a wet dream and I suspect this has been surveyed here too.

The nearest girl equivalent of a boy starting to masturbate is starting to masturbate, i.e. it is something both sexes do.

But, by asking about a realisation that masturbation should be private, I also wonder if this about how puberty changes the way we feel, i.e. going from non-sexual children to teens with sexual feelings and at a younger age than the age of consent or the age of majority, i.e. where we legally become an adult wherever we live.

Possibly it is seeking confirmation that this does indeed happen as young as it does. Over many years, puberty has been getting younger and the age at which people finish education and become independent adults who might want to start a family has been getting older so this time in between has been getting longer. So this in-between stage is quite normal.

NotRllyFriendly wrote:

i started rubbing myself against my bed when i was like 5 lmao, but at 13 i started jerking off on the "classical" way

I am glad to hear I am not the only one to have got gone straight to the usual hand technique right from the start.