Physicals

• Seth Shaw wrote:

my mom question why I wanted a male doctor over female nurse or doctor when I went in for my physical.

I told her if I have to be butt naked I rather a male do it. Was I wrong or sexist
      i don’t think it’s wrong. just a comfort thing i guess
      Covering a dog turd in chocolate won’t make it a candy bar.
    • zano wrote:

Seth Shaw wrote:

my mom question why I wanted a male doctor over female nurse or doctor when I went in for my physical.

I told her if I have to be butt naked I rather a male do it. Was I wrong or sexist
      Nope. That's your right. I had a female Dr give me a physical about two years ago. My regular Dr was sick!! I was afraid of getting a boner. But I stayed soft.
      Somewhat hyper
    • CooperJ wrote:

zano wrote:

Seth Shaw wrote:

Nope. That's your right. I had a female Dr give me a physical about two years ago. My regular Dr was sick!! I was afraid of getting a boner. But I stayed soft.
      I think no matter what sex the doctor is they are very professional and it wont make a difference if you get a boner or not
    • CooperJ wrote:

Maybe it's because we're relaxed at home about nudity that my mom has always stayed during the physical. The Dr is male.
      That theory makes complete sense. I bet nudists have no issue with their parents seeing them naked for a physical and nudist parents have no problem seeing their children naked during a physical. Even non nudists, families that are just relaxed about nudity it makes sense. But at some point a parent has to trust their kids to handle their own business and physical health and let their children see the doctors on their own. That's what growing up is all about. But it probably isn't 12 lol. I know I wasn't mature at 12 lol. So ya its a conundrum. I originally thought patents should stop sitting in on physicals after age 11. Now idk.
    • CooperJ wrote:

zano wrote:

Seth Shaw wrote:

The should be professional about it. After all they are professionals. Plus I'm sure it happens to both male and female doctors. Probably female a bit more. I have no doubt the doctors don't give a shit. Still its embarrassing for the guy with the boner tho I'm sure.
    • I have a male doctor and I feel more comfortable with him than the women. I only ever saw the girl docs when I went for a last minute visit because I was sick or something. Most times my stepdad stays in the room for my whole physical but since I turned 12 a couple times the doctor has asked my dad if he would "mind sitting in the waiting room" for the last part of the exam. Then I usually just meet him out there when its over.
    • callmematt wrote:

I have a male doctor and I feel more comfortable with him than the women. I only ever saw the girl docs when I went for a last minute visit because I was sick or something. Most times my stepdad stays in the room for my whole physical but since I turned 12 a couple times the doctor has asked my dad if he would "mind sitting in the waiting room" for the last part of the exam. Then I usually just meet him out there when its over.
      We are relaxed about nudity, so it doesn't bother me
      Somewhat hyper
    • If you're offered the choice I don't think you should feel guilty about taking. There is no reason why there should be any difference in competence between a male or female doctor and they should be completely comfortable - doctors see a lot of patients. But avoding patient anxiety is good and, if the provider can accommodate a request for a same-sex doctor that's fine.

Interestingly, adult women have faced a similar issue for years as many gynecologists/obstetricians are men. Althoigh there are pelnty of female doctors, they don't automatically gravitate towards that speciality.

Back to physicals, I also wonder if this is something peculiar to the USA. We don't have them in the UK. We do have a bunch of tests/checks in early childhood but after that until adulthood, it is down to parents to ask for medical intervention if needed, possibly prompted by their child.
    • Sean2001 wrote:

Back to physicals, I also wonder if this is something peculiar to the USA. We don't have them in the UK. We do have a bunch of tests/checks in early childhood but after that until adulthood, it is down to parents to ask for medical intervention if needed, possibly prompted by their child.
      Based on so many responses here I'm guessing its a USA thing to get a yearly physical. My school requires it
    • maseb wrote:

Sean2001 wrote:

Based on so many responses here I'm guessing its a USA thing to get a yearly physical. My school requires it
      physicals are mandatory a lot of times for sports and its how they find other medical issues early and some schools require it.
    • Kane.Kabel.Kujo wrote:

maseb wrote:

physicals are mandatory a lot of times for sports and its how they find other medical issues early and some schools require it.
      In the case of having a physical for sports, I suepect this is less about concern for people's wellbeing and more about the USA being a very litigous society. If someone had, for example, an unusual heart condition that means doing some strenuous exercise as part of sports caused a cardiac arrest and they unfortunately died, parents may very well sue the school for having caused that death by not checking that the exercise was safe for that student.

Here in the UK we would just say that was bad luck. If that kind of exercise is generally safe then it would be quite reasonable for that to be part of a school sports program. After all, something similar could have happened if the student had, in their own time, done something similar with friends. There is also an assumption, I think, that most development defects show up early, hence all the focus on early childhood.

There are physicals for joining the armed forces, though I think that is also about making sure public money is not wasted training someone who ultimately cannot perform.
    • Seth Shaw wrote:

A doctor is here to help you out and watch from a professional point of view, not to judge or check out your ass
      Dont be afraid to come talk to me, I dont bite... :D