Natural Scent Attractiveness

• Gabraham247 wrote:

I think it would be interesting to see if pheromones had anything to do with sexual orientation. My guess is not. But to study such a thing you would have to conduct the study in a controlled environment. I mean if I was blindfolded at school, I would easily be able to tell the difference between a girl and a boy based on perfume and soap, etc. To be an honest and reliable study you would almost have to have the test subjects either not shower for a week and not wear any perfume, cologne, deodorant, etc. Or you would have to make all the test subjects shower equally and use the same non scented soap.

I think if the above happened I might potentially be "attracted" to the natural scent of a male as much as or nearly as much as a female. Obviously there's no way of knowing. But whether I'm right or wrong, I do believe in pheromone attraction and predisposition to "soul mates". Probably not soul mates in the classic sense. Like I don't believe there's just one person perfect for another person. But I think god or nature created us or allowed us to evolve in a certain way. And that includes me liking a certain type of girl and liking a certain type of boy as friends.
      Well said. So, just out of curiosity, if a boy was using more feminine, flowery scented soaps and lotions, scents. etc..., would you be more "attracted" to that? I'm not saying you'd like the body, as I take it you're straight, and that's of course fine. I am just wondering if some of what you don't like in boy smells are actually the "masculine" artificially scented products?
    • Anonem wrote:

Well said. So, just out of curiosity, if a boy was using more feminine, flowery scented soaps and lotions, scents. etc..., would you be more "attracted" to that? I'm not saying you'd like the body, as I take it you're straight, and that's of course fine. I am just wondering if some of what you don't like in boy smells are actually the "masculine" artificially scented products?
      Well no. Not if it was a visual scent test. I wouldn't be able to get past the visual disappointment or non-attraction that he is a he. I believe scents are important, but pale in comparison to visuals. But if it was a blindfolded test and I liked his natural scent combined with his feminine products then that's fine. Perhaps we could be "destined" to be good friends. My best friend who's a girl smokes cigarettes and weed which I don't necessarily like the smell of, but for whatever reason I think she smells amazing. I think her pheromones mask her smoke smell.
    • Anonem wrote:

Gabraham247 wrote:

I think it would be interesting to see if pheromones had anything to do with sexual orientation. My guess is not. But to study such a thing you would have to conduct the study in a controlled environment. I mean if I was blindfolded at school, I would easily be able to tell the difference between a girl and a boy based on perfume and soap, etc. To be an honest and reliable study you would almost have to have the test subjects either not shower for a week and not wear any perfume, cologne, deodorant, etc. Or you would have to make all the test subjects shower equally and use the same non scented soap.

I think if the above happened I might potentially be "attracted" to the natural scent of a male as much as or nearly as much as a female. Obviously there's no way of knowing. But whether I'm right or wrong, I do believe in pheromone attraction and predisposition to "soul mates". Probably not soul mates in the classic sense. Like I don't believe there's just one person perfect for another person. But I think god or nature created us or allowed us to evolve in a certain way. And that includes me liking a certain type of girl and liking a certain type of boy as friends.
      A turn off for me is over scenting yourself, either gender. Too many boys seem to swim in Axe, and some girls must think dumping a bottle of perfume on yourself is a good thing. Subtle scents work the best for me.
    • maseb wrote:

Anonem wrote:

Gabraham247 wrote:

A turn off for me is over scenting yourself, either gender. Too many boys seem to swim in Axe, and some girls must think dumping a bottle of perfume on yourself is a good thing. Subtle scents work the best for me.
      Right?! I agree. It's so gross. I hate it when I'm in the locker room and some guy sprays a whole can of that stuff on him, I have to leave the area. I can't breathe. I only like to use natural and organic products, which are never that strong.
      Now you know why a lot of animals hate the smell of humans, and can smell them from miles away. Literally. It's not humans really, it's the crappy chemicals.
      A faint, but pleasant clean smell is the way to go.
    • Gabraham247 wrote:

Anonem wrote:

Well no. Not if it was a visual scent test. I wouldn't be able to get past the visual disappointment or non-attraction that he is a he. I believe scents are important, but pale in comparison to visuals. But if it was a blindfolded test and I liked his natural scent combined with his feminine products then that's fine. Perhaps we could be "destined" to be good friends. My best friend who's a girl smokes cigarettes and weed which I don't necessarily like the smell of, but for whatever reason I think she smells amazing. I think her pheromones mask her smoke smell.
      Interesting. I'd say the same thing about girls, from my perspective. :thumbup:

You must really like her! To me, cigarettes are so repulsive and strong I just couldn't be anywhere near them. All I would smell would be the third hand smoke. I don't know who ever thought it was a good idea to start smoking those things, let alone make them!
    • At the risk of getting off the subject (but then I know we'll quickly bring it back on topic, since both points about smell are important, regardless if its pheromones or cigarettes). The history of tobacco and cannabis go back many, many centuries and to every culture that had access to them. Then when cross continental trading started, tobacco and cannabis trade was huge. Again, it's all the chemicals in cigarettes that are the biggest problem, not tobacco and cannabis itself so much.
    • Gabraham247 wrote:

At the risk of getting off the subject (but then I know we'll quickly bring it back on topic, since both points about smell are important, regardless if its pheromones or cigarettes). The history of tobacco and cannabis go back many, many centuries and to every culture that had access to them. Then when cross continental trading started, tobacco and cannabis trade was huge. Again, it's all the chemicals in cigarettes that are the biggest problem, not tobacco and cannabis itself so much.
      True, I can see that. I would personally never smoke anything. It's just not good for the lungs. But, back to people, did you know that the clothes someone wears will also take on their scent? Like, this may sound unusual, but think about it for a second: My mom died when I was very little. My dad has kept some of her clothes in her closet, as they were when she died. He's told me to smell them sometimes, that I can smell her and remember her. That's true, actually. Even though I was so little, I still remember those scents and associate them with my mom!
    • Anonem wrote:

True, I can see that. I would personally never smoke anything. It's just not good for the lungs. But, back to people, did you know that the clothes someone wears will also take on their scent? Like, this may sound unusual, but think about it for a second: My mom died when I was very little. My dad has kept some of her clothes in her closet, as they were when she died. He's told me to smell them sometimes, that I can smell her and remember her. That's true, actually. Even though I was so little, I still remember those scents and associate them with my mom!
      Sorry for your loss. It is true certain scents can trigger memories years later.
      We all have our challenges. A word of advice ... We stand upon the precipice of change. The world fears the inevitable plummet into the abyss. Watch for that moment ... and when it comes, do not hesitate to leap! It is only when you fall that you learn you can fly!
    • maseb wrote:

That reminds me of a biology teacher we could all smell from the opposite end of the corridor, such was the amount of perfume she applied. It is more understandable when we first start using scented products as it can be hard to judge how much to use but, by the time a girl has become a woman and been through teacher training, you would think she would have worked it out.

Anonem wrote:

Interesting. I'd say the same thing about girls, from my perspective. :thumbup:
      You must really like her! To me, cigarettes are so repulsive and strong I just couldn't be anywhere near them. All I would smell would be the third hand smoke. I don't know who ever thought it was a good idea to start smoking those things, let alone make them!
      For me, smoking is the number one turn-off and that applies both to smell and visually, i.e. seeing someone smoking. Yet in my gandfather's generation it was pretty much universal and seen as sexy. I suppose you don't notice the smell if you smell like that too.

Gabraham247 wrote:

At the risk of getting off the subject (but then I know we'll quickly bring it back on topic, since both points about smell are important, regardless if its pheromones or cigarettes). The history of tobacco and cannabis go back many, many centuries and to every culture that had access to them. Then when cross continental trading started, tobacco and cannabis trade was huge. Again, it's all the chemicals in cigarettes that are the biggest problem, not tobacco and cannabis itself so much.
      I am not at all sure that all the nasties are added during the manufacture of cigarettes, though to me, cigarette smoke definitely has a harsher smell than pipe tobacco. I think I also think of the cigarette as reducing the taking of this particular drug (nicotine) to being able to feed your addiction with the greatest possible convenience and a minimum of ceremony and maximising the money for the pushers (tobacco companies).

Yes, the taking of drugs has a long tradition. In some cases there is a sense of ceremony and it is a social occasion. Think, for example, of the Chinese tea ceremony. The British, for many years, made tea in a richly decorated pot and people sat around and drank it. There is currently a trend for fancy coffees, i.e. essentially espresso with various milk and/or syrup options and coffee houses are places to meet and talk. People meet in pubs and bars to drink and also drink with a meal, which is a social occasion. Passing round a hookah would be similar and I can see a link with tobacco and smoking a pipe.

But, the cigarette - that's like drinking beer or coffee from a can while walking down the street, people dragging on the little sticks because they can't go a moment longer without doing so and all that despite the known health risks.