School and Mass Shooting Incidents

• joannainthemiddle wrote:

OK I didn't know the abbreviation thanks but eeewww it's a bit freaky seeing the picture.
      The meaning of the designation "AR" as regards to the prefix of the infamous rifle the AR-15 came from the name of the weapons company that was the original manufacturer, the ArmaLite Company. The rifle was designed and developed in the 1950's. It was first used in the Vietnam war in the 1960's. The AR-15 replaced the M14 rifle that was first used by the U.S. Army in World War II. The AR does not mean Automatic Rifle or Assault Rifle.
      Vivimus Volare, Volamus Vivere,
    • hikergirl wrote:

The generic term for AR-15’s and AR-15 style semi automatic rifles
      really easy to use and can send a lot of bullets in a hurry - so perfect for shooting at a crowd like kids in a classroom with next to no training

is there really a valid reason for having one of those (or similar guns) ?(

Having a rifle for hunting animals or a shotgun to scare of bears (or other animals), if you out in the country I can kinda understand

But most guns are probably owned for pleasure/'self-defense', and are probably only going to be used (outside of a shooting range) to kill/injure another human

Good Friend :play: Kinda Romantic :love: Ready to Rock :zomg:

"If you try to follow fashion you'll always be chasing, and probably never catch it. If you be yourself and make your own style, fashion might just bump into you one day."
    • BJade wrote:

hikergirl wrote:

The generic term for AR-15’s and AR-15 style semi automatic riflesreally easy to use and can send a lot of bullets in a hurry - so perfect for shooting at a crowd like kids in a classroom with next to no training

Having a rifle for hunting animals or a shotgun to scare of bears (or other animals), if you out in the country I can kinda understand

But most guns are probably owned for pleasure/'self-defense', and are probably only going to be used (outside of a shooting range) to kill/injure another h
      It contributes to the great statistics for gun violence in US.

If you ask the US weapon industry every child should have one to defend them selves against other children with guns.
      The more weapons the more safe and only a good kid with a gun can stop a bad kid with a gun.

bradyunited.org/key-statistics
    • BJade wrote:

hikergirl wrote:

The generic term for AR-15’s and AR-15 style semi automatic riflesreally easy to use and can send a lot of bullets in a hurry - so perfect for shooting at a crowd like kids in a classroom with next to no training

But most guns are probably owned for pleasure/'self-defense', and are probably only going to be used (outside of a shooting range) to kill/injure another human
      I don’t think there is
      I wish they didn’t have them
    • collin13 wrote:

It is an armalite rifle. Mostly for hunting or what not but seems to be a weapon of choice for idiots to shoot up public places ... sadly.
      You are right! The ArmaLite Company developed the AR-15 rifle in the 1950's. But they sold the design to Colt Manufacturing Company in 1959. Colt redesigned the weapon and renamed it the M-16. They sold the M-16 to the U.S. Army and it was first used in combat in the Vietnam War. But the M-16 proved to be unreliable weapon in combat in Vietnam. It frequently jammed in firefights which caused the deaths of many U.S. soldiers. After the war the rifle was again redesigned by Colt. They returned it to it's original name AR-15, Colt's patents on the Ar-15 expired in the 1970's. Now more than 300 firearms companies are producing the AR-15 with an estimated 200 million of the weapons are in the hands of many people both in the USA and worldwide.
      Vivimus Volare, Volamus Vivere,
    • I live in the state, Connecticut, where the Sandy Hook mass shooting occurred. We have lockdown and active shooter drills at school, have had them since the the tragedy. At first they were almost terrifying, now they're routine which is sad in its own way. We've become inured to the potential for violence. And the boy that did the shooting blasted through the locked door before going down the hallway indiscriminately shooting into classrooms, after he shot his mother who purchased the guns and ammo for him.

My father owns guns, a rifle and a pistol, legally owned. My brother and I have taken classes on gun safety, and have shot them at a supervised range, but I have no desire to shoot them now.

The second amendment is here to stay, courts have allowed a broader interpretation since it was written. However almost 90% of Americans favor stricter laws an background checks, and that figure includes gun owners. My opinion is if you want to shoot a semi automatic weapon it should be at a range. They are never used for hunting, it would destroy the target and hence is worthless for that activity.

Unless guns are banned outright shootings will happen sadly. They'll never be banned here. And the answer to gun violence is not having more guns in school, for teachers, admin staff or others. If someone set fire to the school, do you think those people having matches would have prevented it? Police are humans, as shown in the difference between the Texas school shooting response and the one in Tennessee 2 weeks ago.

No neat easy answer to the problem, but our Congress, specifically Republicans, can grow a spine and pass laws that will help keep us all a little safer.
    • sneasels everywhere wrote:

I live in Michigan and there was one here like a year ago. Very sad. The kid that did it didn't take his own life, too. Hopefully, among all the horrible things something good can come of it where psychologists can learn more about why people do this type of thing and how to stop it from interviewing him.
      Yeah Oxford High School and then there was just the one at Michigan State University. Scary.

It's senseless and inexplicable to those of us with sane minds I reckon and you are right. I hope they learn why and learn how to prevent it from happening.
    • when we have active shooter drills at school, everybody knows it's a drill. but we're all still freaked out a bit. some ppl try to play it off like a joke. but u can tell deep inside they are scared like the rest of us. having to do these drills is not okay.

why do ppl like their guns more than their kids? why do they love their guns more than us?
    • it's quite scary how many shooting happen in America =O

bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65305145

gunviolencearchive.org/

Just this year so far:
      Mass Shootings - 172

Number of Children (age 0-11) Killed - 83
      Injured - 204

Number of Teens (age 12-17) Killed - 483
      Injured - 1,175

Good Friend :play: Kinda Romantic :love: Ready to Rock :zomg:

"If you try to follow fashion you'll always be chasing, and probably never catch it. If you be yourself and make your own style, fashion might just bump into you one day."
    • The majority of Americans believe in gun reforms but the Republicans in Congress won't do anything. Assault type weapons are owned by a minority of gun owners, there is just no need to own one.

The National Rifle Association, NRA, recently had their yearly convention. Guess what people weren't allowed to bring into the conference......guns. OK to have guns in schools, teachers and resource officers, but not the NRA meetings. We are so messed up
    • maseb wrote:

The majority of Americans believe in gun reforms but the Republicans in Congress won't do anything. Assault type weapons are owned by a minority of gun owners, there is just no need to own one.

The National Rifle Association, NRA, recently had their yearly convention. Guess what people weren't allowed to bring into the conference......guns. OK to have guns in schools, teachers and resource officers, but not the NRA meetings. We are so messed up
      This is not to take any stand pro or against guns. It is just to correct a previous post.

The reason the NRA did not allow guns in this convention was expressly due to Secret Service rules specific to this annual event only. That was because Trump was a scheduled speaker. Normally, guns are allowed in the annual conventions.