**School Shootings-How to keep kids and teachers safe**

• ban the students (and probably teachers) from entering :lol:

Though I'm obviously joking, all you need are 2 people to have some disagreement over something, and wouldn't be a safe violent free environment

Good Friend :play: Kinda Romantic :love: Ready to Rock :zomg:

"If you try to follow fashion you'll always be chasing, and probably never catch it. If you be yourself and make your own style, fashion might just bump into you one day."
    • Shootings aside, I think a lot stems from lack of accountability and enforcement and sheer tolerance of bullshit in the school environment. Its more than just about guns. Its about "not my little Johnie" and tolerance of BS. I think it is pretty brutal to hear of school environments where kids must pass through metal detectors and be subject to pat downs upon entry and I'm so glad that doesn't happen where I live.
    • You can only find ways to lower the chances, you can't eliminate the chance of a school shooting or violence in general. A lot of shootings are random psychos who want to get infamous. But there are other types where the shooter is a current or former student who was bullied. Bullying is a serious issue that schools should try to eliminate. However you can never eliminate all bullying. My school talks so much about anti bullying but kids will be kids unfortunately. And the logistics for making school campuses gun free is next to impossible. The only way is to do a single entry with a metal detector operated by a trained professional. But you still have 3-D guns. And a single entry is unsafe in case of fire and not logical since it would take too long for 1,000-3000 people to cone through one door. And what about outdoor schools like they have in some areas?
    • I would offer an end to the "school boy code". That expression is attributed to the old notion that children do not tell on other children. The Columbine High School shooting occurred on April 20, 1999. Beginning with the parents of the assailants, a number of people knew or should have known that trouble was brewing. In virtually every subsequent shooting the killers have posted their desire to commit violence.

The modern day saying is "see something say something". We need to be in tune with social media and other avenues. We need to bring concerns forward. Yes, this will result in false accusations and entail increased investigations. This must be a first step.

I too agree with Gabraham 247 and Collin13 in that I too do not want our school to be turned into armed camps replete with metal detectors.

But we have to start somewhere.
    • My school has a LOT of kids who see something, say something! It does work, obviously. But, again, it will never be fullproof. People miss. People are humans. Same thing with suicides. They say all (or most) suicide victims give signs they will commit suicides. Yet people still miss the signs. And conversely, others see signs that their friends will commit suicide, but they aren't planning it, they're just being emo. But, obviously see something, say something is good. It's good for terrorism too.
    • I'm not sure saying something works ;( there are hopefully more times that reporting someone being suicidal or committing a terrorist/shooting have actually stopped it (we just don't hear about it because obviously good things aren't reported in the news) but so many times when these things happen somebody did report it, and people/organizations that could stop it happening didn't do anything.

So often the only way for someone who's suicide to get help seems to be to try and commit suicide ;( and so often when there's a terrorist they were already on a government watch (and it was known they were going to do it)

Also I've tried reporting bullies at school. People ignore you :( the bully beats you up ;( and your in trouble for being 'in a fight'. Unfortunately I've barely ever seen reporting someone work ;(

"If you try to follow fashion you'll always be chasing, and probably never catch it. If you be yourself and make your own style, fashion might just bump into you one day."
    • BJade wrote:

I'm not sure saying something works ;( there are hopefully more times that reporting someone being suicidal or committing a terrorist/shooting have actually stopped it (we just don't hear about it because obviously good things aren't reported in the news) but so many times when these things happen somebody did report it, and people/organizations that could stop it happening didn't do anything.

So often the only way for someone who's suicide to get help seems to be to try and commit suicide ;( and so often when there's a terrorist they were already on a government watch (and it was known they were going to do it)

Also I've tried reporting bullies at school. People ignore you :( the bully beats you up ;( and your in trouble for being 'in a fight'. Unfortunately I've barely ever seen reporting someone work ;(
      You are right. The problem comes back to what I said. Lack of enforcement and accountability. I got into a fight at school last fall because a kid was picking on another kid (called him a fag and was picking on him because he was a smaller, geeky kid). I stood up for him and I got suspended for fighting. Granted so did the kid I fought but the point is, I was the one accused of being in the wrong, the aggressor because I stood up for a weaker, smaller kid. Mind you that kid hasn't (to the best of my knowledge) picked on that that boy again, but just the same. Had someone turned him in for doing what he did, NOTHING would have happened. Parents get involved and the blame is always on someone else or my kid would never do that ... ZERO ACCOUNTABILITY for actions and I'll dare say that society in general is like this and it starts at the top with our asshole politicians who get away with all sorts of crimes. Crazy world we live in and it is sad.
    • D. Falcon_11 wrote:

Instead of spending billion and billion dollars6 on foreign wars and other silly government programs, I would like to spend the same amount of money on training and arming professional police officers who would be station in every elementary, middle and high school in the USA.
      yes because no one will steal their gun or just shoot them first :/ and your police have never accidentally shot someone ;(

• maseb wrote:

I believe it starts in the home. Parents need to be parents, not their children's "friends". Accountability, respect, empathy, being ethical, all traits that lead to a better life and community.
      I think there is some good stuff in this, but I don't believe it is the whole of the solution.

There are two reasons mass shooting, including school shootings, happen.

1. Because people feel disengaged and disenfranchised from society to the point that something snaps.
      2. When something snaps, the "madman" has access to weapons that can kill many people very qucikly without having to be too close to them and are thus able to do so before anyone can stop them.

Most of the developed world outside the USA have found the 2nd of those the easier one to tackle. In the UK, many years ago, there was a school shooting in Dumblane. The reaction of the public was to call for greater control over guns and that is exactly what was done. Dumblane was in 1996 and there has not been another one in the UK since. You can read more about it on Wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunblane_massacre Australia also had a similar incident and also responded by tightening gun control.

Gun control doesn't stop the madmen from going mad, but it does make it much harder to murder many people in short period of time. One of the difficulties of tackling someone with a gun is that they can shoot at you before you even get close to them. That means even the people who are supposed to be there to take them out are reluctant, putting their own safety first.

The second point is a lot more complicated. People get disgruntled by what is going on in all kinds of places. They go on strike, like they are doing in the UK at the moment. They dump manure on the steps of the town hall and on the roundabouts like the French etc. But note that these are collective actions. People do those things in groups because they believe that "people like us are not getting a fair crack of the whip" so they want change for themselves and people like them and want employers and/or the government to act.

It seems to be that the USA has a much stronger emphasis on individualism and much less on collectivism. Only in the extreme cases, such as the cvil rights movement, do people outside a political parties band together and it takes real leadership to make it happen. Each person that feels society isn't working for them feels alone and as if they have to fight that alone and that is what breaks them. So yes, empathy, ethical behaviour and a sense of community. A shift from "my rights" to "what is best for our community".
    • Mental health obviously holds a role in the problem and I don't feel like school does enough to address mental health. More should be done to introduce all students to mental health resources outside of the school. Students don't know enough to understand how to manage their mental health or even the value of doing so. Opportunities to engage students concerning their mental health should be abundant.

Students should also feel comfortable enough to discuss with teachers and school staff about people they believe are a risk to hurt themselves and others. Wearing some type of clothing or being interested in certain things aren't reliable predictors, but students are around these people every day and if their intuition is genuinely telling them that people pose a threat, then it doesn't seem unreasonable to inform teachers or anyone like that.

I could be wrong but I think these things could help.