Colin's Music at Work

• Colin's Music at Work

I've been thinking of having a musical thread of my own similar in nature to what Jude has done. I am a believer that we are what we listen to and that music can be either damaging or therapeutic to us all. My selections in this thread will be music that has an impact on me, whether positive or negative and hopefully it's something that you all will enjoy as well. I do like the heavier stuff, so fair warning. If you don't like what I throw down, say so. It won't hurt my feelings. Hopefully some of what I throw out there impacts you, just as it has me.

For my first selection, I'm going with a song by Queensrÿche that was written long before any of us were born. It is a beautiful song that makes me feel vulnerable at first, then cathartic as it progresses. It's hard to explain. Give it a listen and if you are so inclined, let me know your thoughts! I love expressing myself through music and really do get into the emotional aspects of it. I hope you all (or who ever reads this) enjoy it!

• Today's featured song is a mystical collaboration between Lzzy Hale and the Mongolian band, The Hu. It is called the Song of Woman.

To me, this sums up everything about my mother who obviously brought my siblings and I into this world, survived a residency and fellowship in Melbourne, Australia as a newly divorced single parent without any assistance from my father. She then moved us across the world to return to where she grew up and start her career. She means the world to me and I love her deeply. She is my biggest fan, largest supporter, and the one who checks me when I need to be checked. She keeps me grounded and has always had me strive to do what I think is right at the end of the day. We all only have one mother and I think this is a beautiful dedication to women everywhere. I hope you enjoy!

Song of Woman, featuring Lzzy Hale by The Hu
    • This one is impactful in that for those of you that know me a bit better than just via posts know that I was raised Catholic but don't practice because of the overwhelming hypocrisy that I believe runs rampant in not just the Catholic Faith, but in all religions.

I really believe it's a case of Do as I say, not as I do. This also applies to the complete scum that inhabits Capitol Hill and Parliament in Canada.

Today I present, Ghost's cover if Jesus he knows me. The video itself is very NFSW, thus I am posting the official music video along with the they lyrical version so you can pick your poison. I recommend the official video as it's pretty impactful and sums it all up.

• I think this song is about coming to terms with your inner self and transcending to new levels of self awareness. We all have our inner demons. For me that demon is social anxiety and an extremely introverted personality which often times lead me to avoid people and new situations. As the lyrics say, sometimes I feel as though I'm definitely in a room where I don't belong and the house is on fire and the walls are melting ... Life is all about overcoming challenges and knowing that no one is perfect and we'll all be alright if we just put a little effort into it.

A Symptom of Being Human, by Shinedown.

• Everyone has a hero ... whether larger than life, or just regular every day people in your lives that have made an impact on you some how.

When I think about an every day hero I think about a former coach of mine. I had him for two seasons when I played hockey and my little brother had him last year and they were taken the distance and won a league championship together. As a team. That man is a hero because he taught me that collectively working toward a common goal gets it done, no matter the challenge, the skill set. At the end of the day, if you can leave what ever it is you are leaving and ask yourself, could I have done anything better than what I did in that effort to change the outcome? The answer should always be no. Put your best foot forward. Be that every day hero and achieve what you think is unachievable.

Anyway ... this song is about this and whole lot more. Take in the lyrics and think about who in your life is an every day hero and why they are that to you.

This particular version is live performance and in my opinion it kicks ass. The kid pounding those skins is the son of Taylor Hawkins, who passed away last summer.

I present ... the Foo Fighters.

• Another angry love song that I think is really well done by a heavier band called Bad Omens. This one is about the regret and longing left behind after a relationship ends. I seem to have a running theme going on here with this ... coming to terms with a relationship is always necessary to move forward though ... thankfully I've done that with someone really special and important to me who came into my life last December. This song isn't about that person at all, but that person has helped me gain a real perspective for what's important to focus on.

• Today's song is by Canadian Progressive Rock Band, Rush. It's a good song and not one of the ones that is well know but it really made me think a lot. I heard it this morning when I was being driven to school and have been thinking about it a lot today. While it was written a long time ago, it's applicable today, especially with cancel culture running amok!

Heresy by Rush.