Colin's Music at Work

• This one is by Tool, who I was fortunate enough to see play on Thursday night in Columbus. They are a progressive rock band out of Los Angelas led by frontman Maynard Keenan. The complexities of their music is unsurpassed. This one is called schism which to me is all about the breakdown of society due to lack of a willingness to communicate. Such an amazing song and this is definitely a group I am going to listen to a lot more moving forward!

• collin13 wrote:

This one is by Tool, who I was fortunate enough to see play on Thursday night in Columbus. They are a progressive rock band out of Los Angelas led by frontman Maynard Keenan. The complexities of their music is unsurpassed. This one is called schism which to me is all about the breakdown of society due to lack of a willingness to communicate. Such an amazing song and this is definitely a group I am going to listen to a lot more moving forward!

People are communicating all the time. There is millions of times more communication between people now than like a century ago.
    • joannainthemiddle wrote:

collin13 wrote:

This one is by Tool, who I was fortunate enough to see play on Thursday night in Columbus. They are a progressive rock band out of Los Angelas led by frontman Maynard Keenan. The complexities of their music is unsurpassed. This one is called schism which to me is all about the breakdown of society due to lack of a willingness to communicate. Such an amazing song and this is definitely a group I am going to listen to a lot more moving forward!
      People are communicating all the time. There is millions of times more communication between people now than like a century ago.
      I agree with you, but is it effective? I don't think this song speaks to lack of communication in the non-communication sense, but lack of effective and meaningful communication. Sure we all communication electronically, but that lacks the non-verbal aspects of communication. And do we really hear what we are saying to each other? What I see in the media and the display by Governments is straight up ineffective communication, which is really what Maynard is speaking to!
    • collin13 wrote:

joannainthemiddle wrote:

collin13 wrote:

I agree with you, but is it effective? I don't think this song speaks to lack of communication in the non-communication sense, but lack of effective and meaningful communication. Sure we all communication electronically, but that lacks the non-verbal aspects of communication. And do we really hear what we are saying to each other? What I see in the media and the display by Governments is straight up ineffective communication, which is really what Maynard is speaking to!
      Sorry I wasn't listening

Just being silly - yes you are right, there might be more communication but how much of it is meaningful?
    • joannainthemiddle wrote:

collin13 wrote:

joannainthemiddle wrote:

collin13 wrote:

Sorry I wasn't listening
      Just being silly - yes you are right, there might be more communication but how much of it is meaningful?
      Hard to say. But it's dangerous and that's what he's saying in this song with the breakdowns and what's required is good solid communication and coming together to rebuild what we strive to become. At the end of the day, its just an amazing song!
    • I was pretty much introduced to this band this weekend past when I was coming home from my tournament with my dad. It is amazing to me how great this band is. Second song in a row by the same group. This one is called High Hopes and to me it's about the dreams of childhood vs the reality of adulthood, and all the expectations that come along with it.

• This song is by the American Rock Band Bad Flower called the Jester which was written as a fuck you to the music industry for not taking the seriously. Ironically the song was on top of the billboard charts for a while and was the most played song in the United States at the time. Lyrically, this is so much more than that. It's a relatively simple song from a construction sense, but the video itself and the lyrics are deeply impactful if you pay attention to them.

• This is a fitting song for my current state of mind. Lots happening in my world including atheletic commitments, my father moving permanently overseas (parents are divorced), and other things that are contributing to more stress than I want to really handle. This song sums it up though ... The surfing side of me loves reggae music a lot ... the composer of this song is pretty much the king as far as reggae music goes.