Does this offend you

• Well sports and sexual preferences are not otherwise linked. I'm not offended, but I see why some people come to see the football and suddenly it's not only about the football, but football AND peoples sexual preferences and why they think other people should care about it, even if you didn't have any problem in the first place. Then it could seem like a waste of time and focus. "Oh this rainbow flag again. Didn't I see that in relation to some politics? And by the book fair and the concert, and the motorsport event... Didn't they notice, they are actually already accepted by most? What more do they need?"

It's starting to be as excessive as vegans and people with diabetes. Put people in a circle and make them introduce themselves in 7 seconds. Sexual preference, veganism or health problems shouldn't be on top of that list. But yet vegans and people with diabetes are almost sure to have that anyway. LGBT is starting to match it.
      So when have we had enough?
      "Comedy is like sex. If they haven't made a noise in a while, change what you're doing" - Sara Pascoe
    • BlueJake wrote:

I don’t find it offensive but I don’t see the need for it either. Most people go to watch football for the football and don’t really care. If people are going to be homophonic the a ball isn’t going to make a difference
      I think it's about stating that the league and the club and the whole community wants to be welcoming to people who are lesbians, bi, gay, trans, queer. I think it has been hard for some people to come to watch football in the past or to play football because of the negative comments or even chanting and this ball colour and rainbow laces and things like that are a way that the whole football community can state that if these bad things DO happen, they are certainly against what we want to happen, and that we as a club or a league, really want you to come and take part.
    • joannainthemiddle wrote:

BlueJake wrote:

I don’t find it offensive but I don’t see the need for it either. Most people go to watch football for the football and don’t really care. If people are going to be homophonic the a ball isn’t going to make a difference
      I think it's about stating that the league and the club and the whole community wants to be welcoming to people who are lesbians, bi, gay, trans, queer. I think it has been hard for some people to come to watch football in the past or to play football because of the negative comments or even chanting and this ball colour and rainbow laces and things like that are a way that the whole football community can state that if these bad things DO happen, they are certainly against what we want to happen, and that we as a club or a league, really want you to come and take part.

Exactly this.
    • joannainthemiddle wrote:

BlueJake wrote:

I see what you mean. We just can't have everybody like us or respect us. That's just how the world is. If they hate you for being gay, waving the flag and getting financial support simply for being a member of LGBT community, will not make them hate you less.
      The problem is theirs, not yours. What could make them warm up to you is by doing your best in the sport.
      "Comedy is like sex. If they haven't made a noise in a while, change what you're doing" - Sara Pascoe
    • Natacha wrote:

joannainthemiddle wrote:

BlueJake wrote:

I see what you mean. We just can't have everybody like us or respect us. That's just how the world is. If they hate you for being gay, waving the flag and getting financial support simply for being a member of LGBT community, will not make them hate you less.The problem is theirs, not yours. What could make them warm up to you is by doing your best in the sport.
      I think displays of support of LGBT community from the football club WILL make some people stop homophobic chanting. It probably won't stop those people who really have hate in their hearts, but it might make others around them think - ah, shall I join in, wouldn't that be fun? no I'd better not people don't want me to. And it might make people who really get upset about the anti-LGBT chants, even if they don't have that sexuality themselves, change their behaviour too. Maybe before these people would just get upset, maybe say 'tut tut' or just complain about it later to their friends. If they see the messages of support from the football club they love to the LGBT community, they might be more likely to say to the person standing next to them - I don't think you should be chanting that, or report it to a safety officer.

I think it worked with racism. I think racism used to be much more in football than now.

One problem is the message of the symbol is not always very clear. A rainbow on the ball might say 'this football club is against homophobic chanting at football grounds' or someone might read it as saying 'this football club thinks marriage should be legal between two men.' The second one has nothing to do with football and there might be people in the supporters who don't agree, even if they would never take part in homophobic chanting. That's one reason why just having rainbows and other symbols of 'let's stop being horrible to other people' might not be welcomed by people who aren't sure what the symbols mean.
    • I think unfortunately if we do not stand up for and show support for people, no body would be able to play or do anything ;( it's not long ago in relative terms that women couldn't play football, American sports had negro (and other separate) leagues. If we don't find ways to speak up, this will be the only view people have on inclusively (or lack of) bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61912426
      msn.com/en-us/sports/soccer/fo…hobic-comment/ar-BB1jb1hX
      mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ne…on-after-six-32068948.amp
      msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/ne…l-documentary/ar-BB1ijH1C
      lep.co.uk/sport/football/prest…on-north-end-news-4532833

If these views of who should play sports aren't chalenged, everyone who is female, 100% heterosexual, 100% white, not have any mental or physical disabilities... etc. Would feel welcome. Basically the majority of people (if not all)

Good Friend :play: Kinda Romantic :love: Ready to Rock :zomg:

"If you try to follow fashion you'll always be chasing, and probably never catch it. If you be yourself and make your own style, fashion might just bump into you one day."
    • A nice story for one of the only openly gay football players <3

Trailblazing footballer Josh Cavallo says "it felt right to share this special moment on the pitch" after he proposed to his partner at Adelaide United's Coopers Stadium.

bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68552458

"If you try to follow fashion you'll always be chasing, and probably never catch it. If you be yourself and make your own style, fashion might just bump into you one day."
    • I find that a lot of people these days are easily offended by things that aren't offensive. After all, everyone's different, that's for sure, but I have to admit that it's getting tiresome and annoying when some people are going to be offended when there's nothing to be offended about. Yeah. I also think that these people need to have a hobby but they want attention. Maybe they're also just jealous that someone else had this idea and they didn't and want to sabotage it, make people think it's wrong, shameful. They need to occupy their free time intelligently.
    • New

I'm straight for reference.

I don't understand why money is being given to them. Why does the LGBT community need money? I understand support, but aren't there people who need the money more? Just because of your sexual preference, you get money. That doesn't make sense to me. Raising money for a different reason would be better. Maybe one where the people actually need money, like disabled vets or the 783 million people who face chronic hunger. Maybe even the pet or homeless shelters. I am offended not because of the LGBT community, but because of where Puma decided to spend their money. The ball is cool, and a great way to spread support, but giving them money?
    • New

LittleBird5 wrote:

I'm straight for reference.

I don't understand why money is being given to them. Why does the LGBT community need money? I understand support, but aren't there people who need the money more? Just because of your sexual preference, you get money. That doesn't make sense to me. Raising money for a different reason would be better. Maybe one where the people actually need money, like disabled vets or the 783 million people who face chronic hunger. Maybe even the pet or homeless shelters. I am offended not because of the LGBT community, but because of where Puma decided to spend their money. The ball is cool, and a great way to spread support, but giving them money?
      they're not just handing out money to LGBTQ people. Donated money like that goes to support groups or organizations that provide support or resources for various communities.
    • New

There are lots of stuff clubs and sport do to help other causes aswell.

But the bigger question is why do we need to support LGBT?

• Across Europe, 82% of LGBTQ+ people who take part in sport have experienced or witnessed homophobia, biphobia, and transphobia in the past 12 months (Out in Sport, 2019).
      • More than 43% of LGBTQ+ people think public sporting events aren’t a welcoming space for LGBTQ+ people. (YouGov for Stonewall, 2017).
      that's a lot of people who's mental and physical health that's affected by others opinions. And any money spent (or options changed) would be tiny compared to the cost to health service's over just one individuals life (if they got depressed and obese from being unwelcome to be a part of sports)

Rainbow Laces Campaign
      stonewall.org.uk/about-us/news…ed-rainbow-laces-campaign