Should Gay Marriage be legal?

• Re: Should Gay Marriage be legal?

Yes, it should be legal. America was founded with the ideas of freedom and liberty. To make it illegal would be to go against everything the United States stands for.

And I also believe that homosexuals should NOT be discriminated against when it comes to adoption.
    [SIZE=2]The Voice of Reason[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]
    "In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, love." - Augustine.[/SIZE]

Absolutely, love is love be it between members of the same sex or members of the opposite sex. Everyone deserves the same rights.
    Adoption shouldn't be an issue either, as long as the couple is able to financially support a child and provide it with a safe, loving environment.
    [CENTER][SIZE=1]------------------------------------------[/SIZE][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=1]We've been treating love like a battlefield
    For far too long.
    [/SIZE][/CENTER]
    [CENTER] [/CENTER]

LovetoLive wrote:

When i said sad i didnt mean sad as in like crying, depressed whatever. I meant it like sad, stupid like imature.

For god's sake, it's apparent what you meant. In other words, being stupid, immature, intolerant, a fool, an idiot or a brat won't prevent one from teasing you. And it won't make kids whose parents are of the same gender feel less discriminated. Bullying is bullying, no matter who performs it.
    "Sometimes it seems pity that Noah and his party didn't miss the boat."

Rosiel wrote:

But think of psychical trauma that child will undergo. Society treats homosexuals as some kind of deviance and degrades their rights. So social deportment will negatively affect adopted childred; kids are surely too young to be indifferent towards discrimination and bullying. However, I have nothing against adoption as long as parents provide enough understanding for their children and protect them from senseless degrading. Besides, if people with homosexual preferences want to form a family, that indicates they should be taken for serious.

My dad has two gay friends who have three adopted children. They undergo no psycological trauma at all. The society within the United Kingdom I feel does neither degrade our rights nor herald homosexuality as a type of deviance.
    [CENTER]This is a gift it comes with a price
    Who is the lamb and who is the knife
    Midas is king and he holds me so tight
    And turns me to gold in the sunlight
    - Florence + The Machine, Rabbit Heart

I'm not a misanthrope, but I can utterly empathise with them.
    [/CENTER]

tomski wrote:

My dad has two gay friends who have three adopted children. They undergo no psycological trauma at all. The society within the United Kingdom I feel does neither degrade our rights nor herald homosexuality as a type of deviance.

If society treats them respectfully, then same-sex adoption should be highly motivated. But then again, United Kingdom may be unique; prejudices about homosexuality are broad-spectrum features. Numerous countries proscribe homosexual unions and support rigorous measures against it, which practically applies to living within the taboo.
    "Sometimes it seems pity that Noah and his party didn't miss the boat."

Rosiel wrote:

If society treats them respectfully, then same-sex adoption should be highly motivated. But then again, United Kingdom may be unique; prejudices about homosexuality are broad-spectrum features. Numerous countries proscribe homosexual unions and support rigorous measures against it, which practically applies to living within the taboo.

Many countries are fairly liberal when it comes to homosexuality.

I think I now see what you were trying to say before about the taboo in other countries. If it is that adoption should not happen in countries that actively promote homosexuality as a type of deviance then I would agree it would be unfair on a child to subject them to that. There should be respect from the community for homosexuals before adoption.

[/CENTER]

What is it about it that you don't really like?

[/CENTER]

tomski wrote:

What is it about it that you don't really like?

I'm guessing you're talking to me...

Nowadays, it just seems a bit irrelevant... like there's not much point to it really. So many marriages end so soon there doesn't seem to be much point. Just a lot of time and money wasted for some big showy ceremony.

In the past, it just looks to just a useful thing to oppress women, e.g. once woman was married her and all her possessions used to become her husband's and she was expected to be subserviant to him...

I know stuff like that isn't around in this country anymore, but bits of it are still there, like the father "giving away" his daughter to the groom at the wedding and women being expected to change their name to their husband's after marriage.'

As well as it being linked in my mind to organised religion (which I really don't agree with), the whole "no sex before marriage" thing, arranged marriages in other countries, as well as the fact that it can be a screen for stuff like domestic violence and rape.

But that's off-topic...
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

Aha, so you don't really see marriage good as a whole because of it's connotations? I understand and agree with that to a certain extent, I would say more on the topic but I don't want to be talking too off-topic :)

[/CENTER]