Marriage

• Re: Marriage

Apotheosis wrote:

Yup, yup.

People change and shit happens.

I would never get married.

The object is to not change and not let "shit happen." That's absolutely ridiculous. People change and shit happens is not a reason to denounce marriage. Maybe you'd never get married because you can't commit or you're too afraid to trust someone, but it's still not a reason to denounce marriage as a false institution.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live." [/CENTER]

TheFunkyBunch wrote:

The object is to not change and not let "shit happen." That's absolutely ridiculous. People change and shit happens is not a reason to denounce marriage. Maybe you'd never get married because you can't commit or you're too afraid to trust someone, but it's still not a reason to denounce marriage as a false institution.

I didn't denounce marriage. I don't think people should marry and divorce like it's nothing. I don't think people should even be able to divorce once married. :)

Apotheosis wrote:

...but religion has a place in marriage. After all, marriage was created by religion.

And who says you have to get married if you're in love?

Civil unions, anyone?

And yet religion has no place in love. At all. You can harp on about religion and marriage, but if two non-believers get married, it has nothing to do with religion at all.

Nobody said you have to get married if you're in love. But those denouncing it as a financial hassle are shallow and flat out wrong. Nobody said you have to get married, but that's not what I was arguing. I'm arguing that marriage isn't a "joke" as people in this thread have stated. It's a union between two people who are committed to and love each other. Not some financial hooplah that is going to end in 5 years or less.

Apotheosis wrote:

I didn't denounce marriage. I don't think people should marry and divorce like it's nothing. I don't think people should even be able to divorce once married. :)

That's life. That's love. That's restricting your freedoms as a human being. If two people are unhappy, they shouldn't be forced to stick in a relationship that isn't working for them. That's absolutely ridiculous.

Apotheosis wrote:

The whole point of getting married is to spend the rest of your life with someone. If they're not happy, they should work through their problems and make some sacrifices. They shouldn't just take the easy way out - divorce.

Sacrifices aren't just it. If a wife goes out on her husband countless times or he beats her, she should be forced to stay in an abusive relationship with a person who hits her? Or he should be forced to stay in a relationship where his wife is completely unfaithful and fucks off on him every night?

Some things aren't just "fixable." This isn't a fairy tale.

TheFunkyBunch wrote:

And yet religion has no place in love. At all. You can harp on about religion and marriage, but if two non-believers get married, it has nothing to do with religion at all.

Umm, yes it does. How many times do I have to say it? Marriage is a religious ceremony. Two nonbelievers getting married would be asinine. They should form a civil union instead.

But to have a wedding, and a religious officiator reading out of a bible...sorry, that's just silly.

TheFunkyBunch wrote:

Sacrifices aren't just it. If a wife goes out on her husband countless times or he beats her, she should be forced to stay in an abusive relationship with a person who hits her? Or he should be forced to stay in a relationship where his wife is completely unfaithful and fucks off on him every night?

Some things aren't just "fixable." This isn't a fairy tale.

She shouldn't have gotten married to an abusive man in the first place. Her stupid mistake.

Apotheosis wrote:

Umm, yes it does. How many times do I have to say it? Marriage is a religious ceremony. Two nonbelievers getting married would be asinine. They should form a civil union instead.

But to have a wedding, and a religious officiator reading out of a bible...sorry, that's just silly.

Okay, so two people who don't believe in God shouldn't be allowed to get married because of their beliefs? Bullshit. Two people who don't believe in God can still believe in the institution of marriage. There's non-denominational churches. There's churches who would marry them despite their beliefs because some churches aren't that pig headed. They have the right to get married just as well as the next person.

Cold Girl wrote:

@Apotheosis its not always that simple. some people rush into marriage and later figure out that they have no idea who they spouse is for they turn out to be completely different person. i agree that they should try to work through their problems but only if its worth it.

Banning divorces would certainly make people think before marrying, huh?

Apotheosis wrote:

She shouldn't have gotten married to an abusive man in the first place. Her stupid mistake.

That's downright stupid. How can you predict that a man is going to turn violent? It's like saying she deserves to get beat if she made a simple mistake. That's barbaric.

Apotheosis wrote:

Banning divorces would certainly make people think before marrying, huh?

It would make people not want to get married at all. While I disagree with Kat, I will say that things do happen and if you did something like that, banning divorces, it would make people scared and instill in them that they're stuck if they become unhappy. That's absolutely nuts. As with everything else you've proposed.

Apotheosis wrote:

Correct.

CIVIL UNIONS. HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF CIVIL UNIONS? :D

YES, I HAVE. I CAN TYPE IN CAPS AS WELL. IF AN ATHEIST COUPLE WISHES TO GET MARRIED, YOU, NOR ANYONE, INCLUDING GOD, HAS THE RIGHT TO DENY THEM JUST BECAUSE THEY DON'T BELIEVE IN THE SAME THING AS YOU. IT'S THE SAME THING AS BANNING GAY MARRIAGE BECAUSE THE BIBLE DENOUNCES IT. IT'S NOT RIGHT. IT'S THE SAME THING AS BEING A BIGOT.

TheFunkyBunch wrote:

YES, I HAVE. I CAN TYPE IN CAPS AS WELL. IF AN ATHEIST COUPLE WISHES TO GET MARRIED, YOU, NOR ANYONE, INCLUDING GOD, HAS THE RIGHT TO DENY THEM JUST BECAUSE THEY DON'T BELIEVE IN THE SAME THING AS YOU. IT'S THE SAME THING AS BANNING GAY MARRIAGE BECAUSE THE BIBLE DENOUNCES IT. IT'S NOT RIGHT. IT'S THE SAME THING AS BEING A BIGOT.

MARRIAGE IS A RELIGIOUS CEREMONY.

SO YES, IF THEY'RE NOT RELIGIOUS OR IF THEY'RE GAY, THEY SHOULD FORM A CIVIL UNION INSTEAD OF MARRYING.

THERE'S REALLY NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO BESIDES BEING CALLED DIFFERENT THINGS.

WHY IN THE FUCKING WORLD WOULD AN ATHEIST WANT TO GET MARRIED ANYWAY? THAT'S A PRETTY FUCKING DUMB ATHEIST. HOW DOES ONE NOT KNOW THE ORIGIN OF MARRIAGE AND ITS CONNECTION TO RELIGION??