Stupid band names

• Stupid band names

I really do wonder why some bands make the choices they do. The band's name is often the first thing you hear about them, you'd think many musicians would think more carefully about this...

So erm, what are your favourite and least favourite band names? I like simpler ones with sort of vague meanings, or ones that sound kinda cool...

Bad things for bands to have in their names:

- Punctuation, especially exclamation marks: !!!, Hadouken!, SunnO))), Godspeed You! Black Emporer.

- Uncreative and boring ones: The The, The Music, The Band.

- Ones containing stuff about blood, death or connotations of such things (you can tell the music is bad before you even listen to it, in most cases): All that Remains, As I Lay Dying, Bullet for My Valentine, It Dies Today, Funeral for a Friend.

- Ones that just sound completely stupid: Up C Down C Left C Right C ABC + Start, Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin, I Wrote Haikus About Cannibalism in Your Yearbook.

Hmm, I should get a life; I obviously think about unimportant things too much. Anyway, share band names you like and those you don't!
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

The post was edited 2 times, last by stratosfear ().

• Re: Stupid band names

band names that i like:
      maroon five
      one republic
      fall out boys
      the click five
      rivermaya
      band names i don't like:
      red jumpsuit apparatus
      my chemical romance
      sandwich
      callalily
      Let me not to the marriage of true minds
      Admit impediments. Love is not love
      Which alters when it alteration finds,
      Or bends with the remover to remove..

I find 'The <insert plural noun here>' tiresome, but I won't avoid their music.

My favourite band names are ones that sound like they are words but aren't really, or compounds. Things like Kasabian, Radiohead or Soundgarden. Band names that are just defined words are ok, but I wouldn't name a band a word that was already in the english language.

I concur with stratosfear's suggestions, although I think 'The Band' is a good name for it's simplicity.
      [CENTER]

[RIGHT]Ta-ta
      [/RIGHT]
      [/CENTER]

Esmo wrote:

I find 'The <insert plural noun here>' tiresome, but I won't avoid their music.

My favourite band names are ones that sound like they are words but aren't really, or compounds. Things like Kasabian, Radiohead or Soundgarden. Band names that are just defined words are ok, but I wouldn't name a band a word that was already in the english language.

I concur with stratosfear's suggestions, although I think 'The Band' is a good name for it's simplicity.

Well it'd be silly to avoid a band purely because of their name (except if you can tell from their name that they're going to have a ridiculously emo music...), but yeah I agree with both of the things that you said. :]

redhunter1989 wrote:

The The?

They should have forseen the arrival of Google.com and known that their name is almost impossible to search for. :l
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

The post was edited 1 time, last by stratosfear ().

Hey...i like It Dies Today :(

but speaking of horrible band names, I hate when people just try too hard.
      Like there's this band from my school, "Watering Dead Flowers"
      UGH.
      They're music is repulsive. Or maybe I just hate the band members so much that I don't want to give them a shot. but c'mon! WATERING DEAD FLOWERS?!
      They just want to be hardcore to the point that they sound pathetic -_-
      [CENTER]Nobody knows it but you've got a secret smile
      and you use it only for me
      <3
      [/CENTER]

ELECTRIC wrote:

UGH.
      They're music is repulsive. Or maybe I just hate the band members so much that I don't want to give them a shot. but c'mon! WATERING DEAD FLOWERS?!

Lol, sorry. I do try to be open-minded about stuff but with emo it's different...
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

ELECTRIC wrote:

UGH.

That is awful and I admit I'd avoid a band with that name.

Speaking of school bands, at mine we've got Bad Hair Day (often shortened to BHD) and Charlie Says. BHD is an -ish name and they're starting to fall apart at any rate. Charlie Says used to be called Little Rubber Ducks, which I thought wasn't bad, then they changed to Charlie Says, which to me just sounds like one of those american emo-ish bands, eg. Fall Out Boy, Panic At The Disco, etc. See what I mean?
      [CENTER]

[RIGHT]Ta-ta
      [/RIGHT]
      [/CENTER]

stratosfear wrote:

- Ones containing stuff about blood, death or connotations of such things (you can tell the music is bad before you even listen to it, in most cases): All that Remains, As I Lay Dying, Bullet for My Valentine, It Dies Today, Funeral for a Friend.

Wow. This is ridiculous.

So you're saying these bands are bad? Do you even listen to metal and hardcore?

Then what would be appropriate for a death metal band that talks about decapitating mass people and "making their own holes".

Bunny Avengers? Or Eviscerated At Birth?

Bands mostly have their band names because of the music/lyrics they have.

Like funeral for a friend. They have some songs that deal about well... friends dying. school shootings, stuff like that.

I think Gay Against You is such a stupid band name. like wtf

I can't really think of any others. The Fold is decent, but what a boring band name! also Murder By Death, and that's it really. I like silly band names in general.
      i fell into a wishing well, so guess what i've been drinking? turns out you drove me into the crowd, so much for wishful thinking.

panicmayarise wrote:

Wow. This is ridiculous.

So you're saying these bands are bad? Do you even listen to metal and hardcore?

Then what would be appropriate for a death metal band that talks about decapitating mass people and "making their own holes".

Bunny Avengers? Or Eviscerated At Birth?

Bands mostly have their band names because of the music/lyrics they have.

Like funeral for a friend. They have some songs that deal about well... friends dying. school shootings, stuff like that.

I don't listen to that kinda music, no, but I have tried it and I'm just not a fan of all that emo stuff in general: the bands annoy me, the music, the lyrics as well the names. Relax though, it's only an opinion.
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

stratosfear wrote:

I really do wonder why some bands make the choices they do. The band's name is often the first thing you hear about them, you'd think many musicians would think more carefully about this...

So erm, what are your favourite and least favourite band names? I like simpler ones with sort of vague meanings, or ones that sound kinda cool...

Bad things for bands to have in their names:

- Punctuation, especially exclamation marks: !!!, Hadouken!, SunnO))), Godspeed You! Black Emporer.

- Uncreative and boring ones: The The, The Music, The Band.

- Ones that just sound completely stupid: Up C Down C Left C Right C ABC + Start, Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin, I Wrote Haikus About Cannibalism in Your Yearbook.

Hmm, I should get a life; I obviously think about unimportant things too much. Anyway, share band names you like and those you don't!

lol, i dunno, i rather enjoy Hadouken!, and Bullet For My Valentine is one of my favorite bands, there name is extremely long but i still like the music :)