Atheism

• hey,
      so u do you believe in god ... i used to know a very churchy person ( who goes to church very often) he suddenly turned atheist so whats happening with u ppl more and more ppl are turning atheists!?
      i do believe in god .. most people areound me do .. most of my friends DONT
      [SIZE=4][COLOR="Red"]YOUR MOM LIKES MEN [/COLOR]:allnight:
      PLEASE GIMME A NEGATIVE REPUTATION! IM COLLECTING THOSE
      [/SIZE]
    • I don't understand Atheism atal. No offence to Atheists, but I think it really doesn't make any sense. We've been studying what Atheists think in college and it really does show that the idea of a universe being created that allows for life withuot a god creating it is literally one in a billion.
      THERE IS NO GOD. PUT YOUR TRUST IN SCIENCE.
    • Re: Atheism

I do not agree with nor believe in organised religion. I may be called an atheist because I don't believe in how organised religion depicts a God but I believe there is something out there be it maybe just the energy in everything and I'm not sure what it is. That's how I think faith should be, where you can't ever understand it and it is different to each individual. I don't like how organised religion tries to say why everything happens and say it is all because of a creater in heaven. I also don't agree with the amount of contradictions are within organised religion. Also religion was used as a source of power, whoever wielded religion wielded power over their subjects. I think it all seems a little too corrupt.

Also to the person above me, if it is a 1 in a billion chance that it happened could that be the reason that our planet is the only planet that we know of that has managed to harness life? Out of the billions of planets we know of we have never managed to find evidence for other life forms. If God is real why did he choose Earth?
      [CENTER]This is a gift it comes with a price
      Who is the lamb and who is the knife
      Midas is king and he holds me so tight
      And turns me to gold in the sunlight
      - Florence + The Machine, Rabbit Heart

I'm not a misanthrope, but I can utterly empathise with them.
      [/CENTER]

Zeal0201 wrote:

Christianity: In the beggining there was one ultimate being, which created everything.

Atheism: In the begging there was nothing which exploded.

See.. Im catholic but i just look at religion in a different way.

no offense, but thats a pretty ignorant view of the big bang theory. there wasn't 'nothing which exploded'. there was everything - all the elements, all the cells, everything - in one hyper-compressed piece for fsm knows how long, but then, purely by chance, one part reacted with another and then it expanded rapidly, thus forming the universe as we know it. then little bits of dust began to clump together and form planets and stars. then millions of years later, cells began to mutate and began forming living organisms.

lets be honest here, doesnt that sound a bit more reasonable than what is essentially a magician producing a rabbit from a hat on a massive scale?

Tomski wrote:

I do not agree with nor believe in organised religion. I may be called an atheist because I don't believe in how organised religion depicts a God but I believe there is something out there be it maybe just the energy in everything and I'm not sure what it is. That's how I think faith should be, where you can't ever understand it and it is different to each individual. I don't like how organised religion tries to say why everything happens and say it is all because of a creater in heaven. I also don't agree with the amount of contradictions are within organised religion. Also religion was used as a source of power, whoever wielded religion wielded power over their subjects. I think it all seems a little too corrupt.

Organised dogma is an utter nonsense. They build churches. They ask for provision of help, charity. When they get it, they build more churches, more cathedrals. What else do religious organizations do with their almighty treasure? Build Christian schools where kids will be teached creatonism?

Faith indeed should be individual, since every person has different standards, different beliefs and different criteria. Aceeding to one religion means accpeting other's ideas and denying your own.

so whats happening with u ppl more and more ppl are turning atheists!?

We've experienced revelation, no?
      "Sometimes it seems pity that Noah and his party didn't miss the boat."

and having an omnipotent being that created the universe is also part of some scientific theories. some people believe that intelligent life forms in another universe creates other universes, including ours. then, there is a "theory of evolution" for universes themselves; the universe that fosters the best intelligences survive to reproduce. (note that this does not refer to biblical god, but an intelligence "god"). These are the theories of James Gardner.

Tomski wrote:

Also to the person above me, if it is a 1 in a billion chance that it happened could that be the reason that our planet is the only planet that we know of that has managed to harness life? Out of the billions of planets we know of we have never managed to find evidence for other life forms. If God is real why did he choose Earth?

hmm thats pretty much how i feel about things i think there is a term for that agnostic maybe im not sure please correct me if im wrong ppl
      [SIZE=3]Lunatics are similar to designated hitters. Often an entire family is crazy, but since an entire family can't go into the hospital one person is designated as crazy and goes inside. - susanna kaysen :rockon: [/SIZE]

authanam wrote:

no offense, but thats a pretty ignorant view of the big bang theory. there wasn't 'nothing which exploded'. there was everything - all the elements, all the cells, everything - in one hyper-compressed piece for fsm knows how long, but then, purely by chance, one part reacted with another and then it expanded rapidly, thus forming the universe as we know it. then little bits of dust began to clump together and form planets and stars. then millions of years later, cells began to mutate and began forming living organisms.

lets be honest here, doesnt that sound a bit more reasonable than what is essentially a magician producing a rabbit from a hat on a massive scale?

definitely:rockon:
      [SIZE=3]Lunatics are similar to designated hitters. Often an entire family is crazy, but since an entire family can't go into the hospital one person is designated as crazy and goes inside. - susanna kaysen :rockon: [/SIZE]
    • methsnax wrote:

Being a true atheist takes concerted effort. I would state that you (or they) are misclassifying themselves as atheists instead of agnostics.

what would you define the methods of a true aethiest to be then, o wise one?:sarcasm:

bobbie wrote:

definitely:rockon:

i thank you (but you should be thanking eddie izzard for that nugget of humour):D