Islam overtakes Catholicism as world's largest religion

• Islam overtakes Catholicism as world's largest religion

Islam has overtaken Roman Catholicism to become the world's largest single religious denomination, according to L'Osservatore Romano, the Vatican newspaper.

In an interview with the paper Monsignor Vittorio Formenti, compilier of the Annuario Pontificio, the Vatican yearbook, said "For the first time in history, we are no longer at the top: Muslims have overtaken us." He said that figures for 2006 showed that Catholics accounted for 17.4 per cent of the world population while Muslims accounted for 19.2 per cent.

Asked for an explanation Monsignor Formenti observed that "While Muslim families, as is well known, continue to make a lot of children, Christian ones on the contrary tend to have fewer and fewer". He said the figure for the Muslim global population was derived from data submitted to the United Nations by Muslim countries.

However Christians as a whole, including Catholics, Orthodox, Protestants and Anglicans make up 33 per cent of the world population. Mosnignor Formenti said Latin America remained "the stronghold" of Catholicism, and the American continent as a whole had nearly half the world's total. He noted the decline in numbers of Catholic priests, and said the number of nuns was also suffering a "drastic reduction".

The Vatican puts the number of Catholics in the world at 1.13 billion people, while the figure for Muslims is estimated at around 1.3 billion.
      Let me not to the marriage of true minds
      Admit impediments. Love is not love
      Which alters when it alteration finds,
      Or bends with the remover to remove..
    • Re: Islam overtakes Catholicism as world's largest religion

:eek: it looks that he's admitting that they are violent....lol....
      maybe the only problem in islam is the Jihad

jihad is "holy war." Or, more precisely: It means the legal, compulsory, communal effort to expand the territories ruled by Muslims at the expense of territories ruled by non-Muslims.

jm_payot wrote:

:eek: it looks that he's admitting that they are violent....lol....
      maybe the only problem in islam is the Jihad

jihad is "holy war." Or, more precisely: It means the legal, compulsory, communal effort to expand the territories ruled by Muslims at the expense of territories ruled by non-Muslims.

When you say this the Crusades spring to mind. When people took up the cross to expand the lands of the Catholics into "The holy lands".

What does it really matter if there are more Muslims than Catholics? Nothing to me.
      [CENTER]This is a gift it comes with a price
      Who is the lamb and who is the knife
      Midas is king and he holds me so tight
      And turns me to gold in the sunlight
      - Florence + The Machine, Rabbit Heart

I'm not a misanthrope, but I can utterly empathise with them.
      [/CENTER]

Why does it matter which religion has more followers? Do you think you could possibly find something better to worry about? Such as this:

worldproutassembly.org/images/darfur_starving_girl.jpg

starving child in Darfur. Wouldn't that be a slightly better use of your time?

actually there's no problem with the no. of religion followers, what matter is the despiration of the muslims to dominate the world.....

what sasha said above is true... and this is a real treat, just observe the recent incidents... just to clear myself, i'm not referring to the whole muslim community, just to those muslim authorities who have the right on waging war, who infecting the minds of it's inocent members.....

i'm not saying this coz i'm a christian, i'm just concern for the future.

JR wrote:

lolz.. i'm scared..

this guy is probably from saudia arabia they are pretty strict there!

anyways your right islam isnt extreme or violent, its those terrorists who think islam is under threat when it isnt and yes they are extreme islamists and think that killing innocent people who have nothing to do with anything will solve the problem.
      [CENTER][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][SIZE=2]Courage is when you stand up for what's right, even if means being an outcast! [/SIZE][/CENTER]
      [CENTER]
      [SIZE=3]=============[/SIZE][/CENTER]