Why are lesbians seen as cool and gays seen as discusting?

• Re: Why are lesbians seen as cool and gays seen as discusting?

My best friend is gay, and i also have a friend whos lesbian. With the lesbian, asoon as she told me i felt nothing, i kinda already knew, so it wasn't a big deal, i even find it kinda cool, we play this game where we rate women that walk past (yes we get really bored), its a laugh.

With the guy, i was kinda freaked out, it was a huge bomb to drop because he acted like the straighest guy in the world. I think it was made worse by the fact he said he loved me. I thought our friendship was over. It was weird and awkward at first, but now (6 months on) im really comfortable with him again and we're even closer than before.

He is still the topic of ridcule and jokes, but most of it is light hearted and hes generally accepted by everyone.

I think, as mentioned before, that straight guys seem to think that because their gay their going to fancy every man and try and jump into bed with them. Also, tehy may be questioning their own sexuality, and not coming to terms with it, so taking it out on gays instead.

Lesbians are generally more accpeted by guys cos they find the thought of girl on girl action hot. Girls seem to be more socially accepting of difference than guys (whether it be pshysical, sexual orientation, religion), because men have to be "macho".
      [CENTER]"I don't belong here, we gotta move on dear escape from this afterlife[/CENTER]
      [CENTER]’Cause this time I'm right to move on and on, far away from here"[/CENTER]
      [CENTER]~[/CENTER]
      [CENTER][/CENTER]

homophobia is a lot worse than its cause would suggest for this reason: When gays are frowned upon (to put it lightly), they stay in the closet so they can seem normal. then the gay community seems smaller, so more people think that they don't associate with gays (when really their friends are in the closet). And if someone doesnt associate with certain types of people, they wont feel the need to respect them. so they get more homophobic and more people stay in the closet.

So with that going on only people who dont care what other people think of them (and so are considered weird by most people) are the only gays that people notice, giving gays a reputation of being very different from "normal" people. This also causes more people to be in the closet, and the process repeats.

so maybe the solution is for closet gays who seem straight to their friends to casually come out of the closet as if its no big deal (unless their friends are really homophobic), and people will start to see that anyone could be gay and wouldnt be so discriminate.

if you wanna rim punch some guy, so be it. those that don't understand, don't know how to act, i've had mates who were a bit fruity, nevertheless good people.

smack someone sideways, you won't get treated like a nancy no more.
      [CENTER][SIZE=4][/SIZE][SIZE=2]Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?[/SIZE] [/CENTER]

My school must be out of the norm.... Pretty much no one is made fun of for being gay/lesbian/bi.

Random note: As one of my friends pointed out once, she loves hanging out with gay guys, because then she can practice her flirting on them, and not only do they not care, they won't retaliate. :rolleyes:

I suppose my school is normal.
      Word got out that a girl was bi, and she changed schools just because of all the ridicule and hatred she got. She became depressed, started cutting herself, drinking and smoking. She overdoses on prescription drugs. She's only 14 years old now. Its sad.
      Also, a guy who most people thought to just be metrosexual has a crush on arguably the most homophobic guy in the school. I just hope that it doesn't get out, for his own sake. He also struggles with depression and bulimia. It's terrible.

Starlight822 wrote:

My school must be out of the norm.... Pretty much no one is made fun of for being gay/lesbian/bi.

Random note: As one of my friends pointed out once, she loves hanging out with gay guys, because then she can practice her flirting on them, and not only do they not care, they won't retaliate. :rolleyes:

Well, you do live in the Pacific Northwest. I think something in the water must make you guys a little different.
      i don't sleep

GSLING wrote:

someting i ask myself a lot
      how come lesbians are seen as cool and gays are seen as discusting?
      in my school there are two lesbians in yr11 + yr12 and they are accepted and are seen as normal in the school
      but me and two guys in yr11 are seen as discusting and have our lives made hell
      and bisexuals in general are accepted

why is a guy who has fallen in love with another guy weird?

i think its because guys think lesbians are hot etc and because when most people think of gay men having sex etc they think of anal sex and stuff which is still seen as taboo by many....mainly i think its just ignorance
      [SIZE=3]Lunatics are similar to designated hitters. Often an entire family is crazy, but since an entire family can't go into the hospital one person is designated as crazy and goes inside. - susanna kaysen :rockon: [/SIZE]

GSLING wrote:

Miss Fit u sound like a nice gal :D
      :D:D
      Wth is wrong with tht prince guy?

Aw thanks

He's after sex thats all
      [CENTER]See, the problem is that God gives men[/CENTER]
      [CENTER]a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to run[/CENTER]
      [CENTER]one at a time.[/CENTER]
      [CENTER] [/CENTER]
      [CENTER][SIZE=5]I'm part of Team S[/SIZE][/CENTER]

I dont dislike gays aslong as they aint camp around me. That really is annoying, campness. If someone takes the piss out of you for being gay dont get all weird and react like a girl it just instigates further harassment.

Gotta disagree about the average bloke being a hypocrit. Those who hate gays are NOT just insecure about their sexuality. That's just some crap made up by homosexuals to use for some way to insult them back. And when people say that it only enrages me.

In short, dont act camp and i have no problem.

S1919 wrote:

IThose who hate gays are NOT just insecure about their sexuality. That's just some crap made up by homosexuals to use for some way to insult them back. And when people say that it only enrages me.

Couldnt agree more on this part.
      #1 pickup line of all time: "Hey, does this rag smell like chloroform to you?
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]