Homeschool?

• Homeschool?

So, any homeschoolers here? lol I was just wondering what homeschool techniques other people use. I use Un-schooling, which is basically where I learn by reading books, watching tv (Discovery and history channel ya'll), researching whatever I want to, and basically just learning what I want.

I know it sounds slacker-ish, but hold that thought and let me tell you that I score as a college senoir on my standerdized tests. lol So I gotta be doing something right. haha (though I don't think I'll EVER be good at math. uck)
    • Re: Homeschool?

Saved-by-Grace wrote:

*homeschooler* =)

I do what you do a lot of the time, but we've also ordered a curriculum from the state.

And you're right. The way you do it does work very well, but just out of curiosity... how do you earn a diploma your way?

lol I get curriculum from booksales that I read at my own leisure. That's what my technique has done to me. I consider some texkbooks to be leisure reading. lol Though most of them are biased, purposelyful (spelled sooo wrong) ignorant, foolish, annoying things. Seriously, how do they expect ANY generation to do better than the last, when you're only telling them HALF the truth?????????????? Sorry, sore point for me....

And I get my diploma the same way everyone else does. I take standerdized tests than show I know what I'm "supposed" to know according to some guy way back in the early 1900's (because that's when our 'current' school system was implemented, and not much has been changed since. I guess they haven't seen a need to update. I mean, after all, it's not like we've walked on the moon or had two world wars or anything like that. No, nothing's changed since the 'current' school system was put in place. Riiight... Yeah, you can see I'm not a big fan of the school system. Which doth make one wonder why I'm planning on getting my master's degree in teaching (as well as whatever minor I choose. Unless I choose to do a double mayjor with teahing and something else, and a minor). lol

Anyway, I seriously strayed from the point there. haha :p Well, getting back on track, I take the tests, I tell them that I got so an so subjects done that year (which I did. Just in my own unique way. :wink: ) and then I pass the grade into the next one. That goes on until I finish 12th and I've gotten all my 'reqiurments' done, then I buy a fancy diploma from some homeschool hotline/mail order person after the state tell me that I'm finished with high school. So fancy and personal, don't you think? lol

Btw, here's something that just occured to me: there has been some changes in the school system - they've taken recess away from little kids (which even the kids in japan have. And aren't they pretty damed smart over there? Hmm, maybe recess is the key to inteligence. You know, taking a break and trying to have fun. Oh, and in additin to taking away recess, they've added more requirments and made them harder. Yet we still seem to be kinda dumb over here. At least compared to Japan. lol Sorry if I offend anyone, Ibut 'm not patriotic and I wish that I lived in Japan (or Ireland. hehe). instead of america. We started off great (if you ignore the slavery, but that's present in every culture, just about though history), but somewhere along the line, we lost track of democracy and took a left turn into buaracracy (sp?). lol

Oh, here's something else: I AM NOT GOING TO HAVE TO TAKE THE SAT!!! lol Know why? Because you take the SAT to get into college, right? Well, by the time that I finish high school, I'll be a sophmore in college because of the fact that I'm doing dual enrollment. lol Which also means that by the time other's are getting their bachelor's degree's, I'll be getting my Master's (unless I decide to take a year off or something... eh, after I get the Master's degree. lol). All thanks to beautiful Dual Enrollment. I am such a fan of Dual Enrollment. lol

Geez, I sound so snotty and annoying and kinda advertisy (not a word...). lol Well, forgive me, but I am dead tired (why haven't I gne to sleep yet?!?) and I'm also on a hyper hyper high. lol Damn hormones. So basically, I'm like a kid on a sugar high, except the only sugar I've had was from the apple I ate (natural sugar). lol ***goes to jump off of some walls***

Bye! lol

Btw, Mayank, there are homeschoolers all over the world. Though I'm not sure if it's legal in all countires. It's only been legal in Japan for a few decades now (maybe less). Yeah, I have a Japan obsession. Plus an obsession with weird little facts that most poeple don't know/care about...lol

WriterChick wrote:

lol I get curriculum from booksales that I read at my own leisure. That's what my technique has done to me. I consider some texkbooks to be leisure reading. lol Though most of them are biased, purposelyful (spelled sooo wrong) ignorant, foolish, annoying things. Seriously, how do they expect ANY generation to do better than the last, when you're only telling them HALF the truth?????????????? Sorry, sore point for me....

And I get my diploma the same way everyone else does. I take standerdized tests than show I know what I'm "supposed" to know according to some guy way back in the early 1900's (because that's when our 'current' school system was implemented, and not much has been changed since. I guess they haven't seen a need to update. I mean, after all, it's not like we've walked on the moon or had two world wars or anything like that. No, nothing's changed since the 'current' school system was put in place. Riiight... Yeah, you can see I'm not a big fan of the school system. Which doth make one wonder why I'm planning on getting my master's degree in teaching (as well as whatever minor I choose. Unless I choose to do a double mayjor with teahing and something else, and a minor). lol

Anyway, I seriously strayed from the point there. haha :p Well, getting back on track, I take the tests, I tell them that I got so an so subjects done that year (which I did. Just in my own unique way. :wink: ) and then I pass the grade into the next one. That goes on until I finish 12th and I've gotten all my 'reqiurments' done, then I buy a fancy diploma from some homeschool hotline/mail order person after the state tell me that I'm finished with high school. So fancy and personal, don't you think? lol

Btw, here's something that just occured to me: there has been some changes in the school system - they've taken recess away from little kids (which even the kids in japan have. And aren't they pretty damed smart over there? Hmm, maybe recess is the key to inteligence. You know, taking a break and trying to have fun. Oh, and in additin to taking away recess, they've added more requirments and made them harder. Yet we still seem to be kinda dumb over here. At least compared to Japan. lol Sorry if I offend anyone, Ibut 'm not patriotic and I wish that I lived in Japan (or Ireland. hehe). instead of america. We started off great (if you ignore the slavery, but that's present in every culture, just about though history), but somewhere along the line, we lost track of democracy and took a left turn into buaracracy (sp?). lol

Oh, here's something else: I AM NOT GOING TO HAVE TO TAKE THE SAT!!! lol Know why? Because you take the SAT to get into college, right? Well, by the time that I finish high school, I'll be a sophmore in college because of the fact that I'm doing dual enrollment. lol Which also means that by the time other's are getting their bachelor's degree's, I'll be getting my Master's (unless I decide to take a year off or something... eh, after I get the Master's degree. lol). All thanks to beautiful Dual Enrollment. I am such a fan of Dual Enrollment. lol

Geez, I sound so snotty and annoying and kinda advertisy (not a word...). lol Well, forgive me, but I am dead tired (why haven't I gne to sleep yet?!?) and I'm also on a hyper hyper high. lol Damn hormones. So basically, I'm like a kid on a sugar high, except the only sugar I've had was from the apple I ate (natural sugar). lol ***goes to jump off of some walls***

Bye! lol

Oh. Alright, thanks. =) I guess we just don't do it like that.
      I really don't even need a diploma.
      So long as I take the SAT, I hear from colleges. (depending on the score, of course)

BTW, I totally agree about the recess-deprivation deal. Overloading young kids with studying and bookwork without giving them breathers doesn't sound like a bright or profitable idea.

Plus an obsession with weird little facts that most poeple don't know/care about...lol

Heh... seems to be a common homeschooler-possessed trait. :rolleyes:

Well, I don't know where you live, but each state has different laws concerning homeschoolers. Some states even pretty much outlaw homeschooling. Some help homeschoolers.

What I just told you was the laws for North Carolina homeschoolers, i.e. as long as I take a standerdized test at the end of the school year each year, they don't give a damn about me. Gee, I feel so cared for... lol

Btw, good luck with that SAT.

And yeah, I have more to say about recess, but I'll save it for another time since I'm sure no one really wants to have to deal with my ranting. lol

Quote:
      Plus an obsession with weird little facts that most poeple don't know/care about...lol

Heh... seems to be a common homeschooler-possessed trait.

lol Isn't it amazing the way those little facts seem to stick?