Have you actually, clinically, been diagnosed with depression?

• Re: Have you actually, clinically, been diagnosed with depression?

Sayitagain wrote:

I know of so many instances of teenagers bemoaning that they are 'depressed' and sooo mIsErAbLe but just seem to be having a bad day. For those of you that consider yourselves depressed-- have you actually been diagnosed by a doctor? If not, how do you know you are?
      It's just a case of standard narcissism and the need to be individualized. Standard procedure, really, a kid feels mopey and automatically attaches a mental disorder to themselves.

While I agree with what you're saying, many people actually are diagnosed with depression. I was.

I had it diagnosed... 3 different doctors have diagnosed me with sever depression, Insomnia,nightmares caused by loss of someone close and anxiety because of trauma and loss... Also i am classified as a danger to myself... So if your going around telling people you are depressed because of the occasional mood swing or random little cut on your body then get over it.. Most people get that.. Its not depression.Its Puberty Love..

xxx

The post was edited 1 time, last by BigFatTeen ().

CashMoney wrote:

Nope, I won't pay $550 dollars an hour for some doctor to tell me what I have and what I don't have, just thinking about shelling out the money for something I don't need makes me depressed.

Frankly, its not just shelling out money.

Getting yourself diagnosed is a very important thing.

Yes, i have been diagnosed with depression.

Well, sort of.
      A year and a half ago I was going to a psychiatrist and he said that I seemed to be suffering from depression, but he didn't feel the need to put me on medication and figured that I wasn't suicidal, so he said that I didn't have to come see him anymore.
      A year later I went back to his office because I had attempted suicide three times since I saw him. Now I refuse to EVER go back there, because he obviously didn't know just how badly I'm screwed up.

So a word of advice: If you plan on going to a therapist or psychiatrist or whatever, make sure it's a good one. Because if they can't read you and think that you are perfectly fine- it could turn out badly.

Why does it matter if you get diagnosed?

There is no test to run for depression. All a psychiatrist does to make the diagnosis is see how many of the DSM-IV criteria you fit and assign anti-depressants accordingly. It's not like there is some litmus test a psychiatrist can do to determine if you are really depressed or not. Besides, depression is way over-diagnosed in the first place. Chances are, if you feel depressed, and entire an interview with that mindset, a psychiatrist will give you that same diagnosis. It's not exactly people with a flu touting lung cancer here...
      [CENTER]"Young King, pay me in gold."
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

I've wondered from time to time, because I've struggled with thoughts of suicide and fit other symptoms, and there's a history of clinical depression and mood disorders in my family.

I'm going to get evaluated for it by a doctor soon anyway, so I guess I'll know then.
      [COLOR="Silver"][FONT="Arial Narrow"][SIZE="2"]Back me down from backing up
      Hold your breath, now, it's s t a c k i n g up!
      Etched with marks, but I can deal
      And you're the p r o b l e m, and you can't feel.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]