High School Stereotypes

• High School Stereotypes

Ok, we've all heard of them - High school stereotypes. The classic ones that you see in movies all the time, like the jock and the nerd, and some relatively new ones like the emo kid, and the crazy ones like the quiet kid who snaps and shoots everyone...

Ah yes, beloved high school. It's not fair to judge, but by god, we can't possibly know everyone, so we make little categories and groups in our mind, right? I've heard of a few, but help me out here guys. What stereotypes/cliques/groups/fads/etc have you all seen or heard of? What exactly does that mean (not everyone might know)? Which groups do you love? Which groups do you absolutely hate? Which stereotype(s) are you, in your opinion? What high school stereotype(s) are you considered by your peers? And any other thoughts on stereotypes... This is a discussion! Blab all you want.
      Hey. My name is Jay.
    • Re: High School Stereotypes?

I think that all of the high school stereotypes are basically true up to a point. As far as which ones I identify with, I honestly have to say...none of them. I can't really think of a good category to organize my friends into, either. And honestly, I'm not too upset about this because most stereotypes are formed based on the variety of ways that people can be dumb/annoying.

That's another high school stereotype, lol... the normal kids who don't really fit into one stereotype.

CAFricans, lol, what does C stand for?

I know what you mean by Abercrew, I just never had a name for them... they are always wearing those brand name clothes and I envy them because they have rich parents to spoil them...

We don't really have a tech crew, but TV Video is pretty substantial at our school. They make video bulletins and cover major sporting events and school events...

I consider myself the guy who does everything, the prep, who is... in cross-country and track teams, is trying for the lead in all 3 school plays next year, is going for a seat in acadecathlon, takes as many AP classes as he can cram into 7 hours, is learning to strum the guitar, is doing community service (volunteering) every weekend, is going to start a Salsa dancing club next year, a member of Link Crew, an officer of Key Club, has the most hours of our Red Cross, and is friends with all the teachers in order to get recommendations, all to go to college. I pretty much hang out with everyone everywhere. ^^

The only stereotypes I can't stand are the underachievers and the kids who don't talk to anyone at all, no matter what you say. I don't mean underachievers like "Ah, I don't feel like I need Honors English this year, and it seems pretty hard, I'll drop it." I mean underachiever like "School's GAY I think I'll just come here to bash on the teachers and make sniping comments toward everyone."
      Hey. My name is Jay.

When I attended college we had a wide selection of annoying assholes.

The Pakistani cunts who love to block hallways and even though they live in our country, still speak urdu and try insult you if the oppertunity arises.

Goths, typical really, they stay in the common room whenever they are not in lessons and play music, they don't cause a fuss.

Emo kids hang with the goths.

Chavs don't make it to college generally, but the ones who do are scarce and have learnt not to be such dicks and hang around in various casual groups.

General population, the people who don't care to stand out and are generally the nicer bunch, unlike the goths and emos whom like to shit stir amongst each other, they're everywhere and anywhere and make no fuss.
      #1 pickup line of all time: "Hey, does this rag smell like chloroform to you?
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MyNameIsJay wrote:

I've just generally noticed that a lot more of the goth looking kids are having sex with each other than other 'groups' are. Is this just what I see or is it kind of true?

Your school must be different than mine. At my school, it's the usual: the jocks and the girl-jocks. (I can't just say "cheerleaders" because everyone who's on a sports team at my school thinks they're the best thing since sliced bread.)

I'm fairly new to the school I'm attending now but from what I've seen there is a couple basic high school stereotypes:
      Drama kids
      Band kids
      Smart Jocks
      Not-so-smart Jocks
      The Socially Awkward
      And finally the kids who come to school just because they're forced and figure they might as well ruin people's days while they're at.

The only group I'm really not fond of is the last one. I hang out with everyone and try to not get too deep into their circle so I don't have to deal with any of the drama :].

At my old school there were only two stereotypes:
      The rich kids
      The scholarship kids
      [CENTER][SIZE=1]------------------------------------------[/SIZE][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][SIZE=1]We've been treating love like a battlefield
      For far too long.
      [/SIZE][/CENTER]
      [CENTER] [/CENTER]

I don't think I'm really in a group. People think I'm really weird though, but that's only because I can't communicate my feelings properly.

my school isn't too diverse:
      -the stoner really "cool" crowd that wears the "green team" shirts and listen to hip hop and are all really lame
      -the speech and debate/choir/theatre kids who are cool
      -the band kids who smoke too much weed, generally
      -the skate boarders/BMXers who often fit in the with the stoner crowd
      -the hipster crowd who are pretty okay, but boring
      -the scene/emo kids who are generally freshmen.
      -the mexican emo kids who are okay
      -the mexican pride kids who generally don't like me.
      -the jocks who are okay, I guess I could fit in this crowd, but not really. I remember at the my English teacher saying "Liz, I didn't know you were a jock" at the mention of my name on the announcements during soccer season. They're okay.
      -the really pretty girls I like but don't talk to me girls.
      they're really neat.
      i don't sleep

Yeah, some jocks don't seem like jocks straight away... like no one knew I did cross country until after CIFs... Lol.

Some of our band twinkies smoke weed, but not really. Some are going out just to have boyfriends and girlfriends, I think it's kind of weird. Like Taylor really shouldn't be going out with ANYONE, he never has any money and makes promises he can't keep, he's totally irresponsible, and his girlfriend pays for his meals for god's sakes. GROW UP TAYLOR. Sorry, went off on a little rant.

Our school doesn't really have a cafeteria, we all just kind of eat outdoors in the quad and on prep hill.

I think socially awkward kids are decent people, they just don't know... I don't know how to say it... express themselves? Open up? Be themselves?

I would be on debate team, there is just one girl who really... ugh. Our school respects the acadec and debate and scientific olympiad kids, but I hear in other places they actually get picked on, is that true?!?

Emo kids are always middle schoolers or freshmen, I think it's just a phase. By the time you're an upperclassman, you've grown out of it. But I'm curious as to what makes emos tick, I can understand cool music and all that, but why do some cut themselves and wear eyeliner O.0
      Hey. My name is Jay.

MyNameIsJay wrote:

I would be on debate team, there is just one girl who really... ugh. Our school respects the acadec and debate and scientific olympiad kids, but I hear in other places they actually get picked on, is that true?!?

They don't necessarily get picked on at my school. They're just not very popular.

It's actually kind of ironic when you think about it: we go to school to learn and all of the clubs that involve learning are considered "uncool".

MyNameIsJay wrote:

Emo kids are always middle schoolers or freshmen, I think it's just a phase. By the time you're an upperclassman, you've grown out of it. But I'm curious as to what makes emos tick, I can understand cool music and all that, but why do some cut themselves and wear eyeliner O.0

"Cutting" and "emo" are unrelated. The "emo" kids at my school are all just stoners who like to dress like the people in their favorite bands. They don't necessarily cut themselves.

We have:

-jocks.
      -dumbasses. usually jocks and rednecks in the classroom.
      -CAFricans. (well thought of name.)
      -rednecks.
      -redneck jocks. most common.
      -rodeo. typically bullriders, some barrel racers, and ropers.
      -white trash.
      -self-proclaimed 'ghetto' white people.
      -ghetto white trash!
      -the snobs. everyone hates those.
      -whores/sluts. sort of fit in with the snobs. numerous.
      -band geeks.
      -potheads.
      -wanna be emo/gothic/i don't know.
      -losers. we have about two or three different groups of losers.
      -fat girlies who all hang out together and dress skanky and sleep with the CAFricans.
      -proud mexicans.
      -geeky mexicans.
      -pregnant girls. they all hang out together, regardless of their former clique.
      -normal kids, who don't really fit anywhere.

that's about it. i'd probably be fitted in somewhere with the rodeo people or dumbasses. i sit at a table with band geeks, normal kids, geeky mexicans, pot heads, and white trash. :)

The post was edited 2 times, last by freckles.: i forgot one :D ().

Ahh I forgot proud mexicans, I love those guys.

I forgot about the artists and deep thinkers too, that go around with messy hair, strange hats and coats on, and create great masterpieces of art but don't really socialize much.

Exactly, what is it about learning that is uncool? Over here we give it respect, even the CAFricans here do their homework before they terrorize people. But my friend just one city away is afraid to join decathlon because 'it will be social suicide'.
      Hey. My name is Jay.

Honestly, I think sterotypes get better in the transformation from Middle school to High school. I think that a sence of matturity comes for most people, if not by their freshman year, for sure by their junior. I think that there will be your typical groups, but its different. People don't hate you for no reason, like in middle school, they just choose to hang out with different people, but would still be nice to you.

But then again, depends on where you go to school and what your school is like, so go figure.
      [CENTER][SIZE=5]♥ [SIZE=1][SIZE=5]bailey [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=1][SIZE=5]♥[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=1][/CENTER]
      [/SIZE]

Hah, how come this thread's gone two pages without someone going "Don't label people!"

I think that within the whole labelling/not labelling debate, the answer is balance. We should work with every individual to see what they are like, not simply going off how they appear or who they hang around with. However, you'll often find that there's a lot of people that do fit their stereotypes, so it is no massive crime to call someone a chav, or whatever, even if you don't know them too well. Most of our school are chavs, but then I do live in the chav central that is Macclesfield.
      [CENTER]

[RIGHT]Ta-ta
      [/RIGHT]
      [/CENTER]

baileyx wrote:

Honestly, I think sterotypes get better in the transformation from Middle school to High school. I think that a sence of matturity comes for most people, if not by their freshman year, for sure by their junior. I think that there will be your typical groups, but its different. People don't hate you for no reason, like in middle school, they just choose to hang out with different people, but would still be nice to you.

But then again, depends on where you go to school and what your school is like, so go figure.

I have to politely disagree with that. The labels/stereotypes have definitely been worse this year (my freshman year) compared to last.

Esmo wrote:

Hah, how come this thread's gone two pages without someone going "Don't label people!"

I think that within the whole labelling/not labelling debate, the answer is balance. We should work with every individual to see what they are like, not simply going off how they appear or who they hang around with. However, you'll often find that there's a lot of people that do fit their stereotypes, so it is no massive crime to call someone a chav, or whatever, even if you don't know them too well. Most of our school are chavs, but then I do live in the chav central that is Macclesfield.

It would be unrealistic to say "Don't label people!". I mean, I know people say "Don't label me!" but they don't mean it. They work themselves to death trying to fit in with a certain group/club. Anyone who doesn't try desperately to catergorize themself is an anomaly.