online friend going to suicide

• online friend going to suicide

my online friend told me and my other online/real life friends in ventrilo(voice chat program) that he is going to suicide... him and my other friends play online games with eachother like counter-strike, world of warcraft etc.

but yesterday he came on ventrilo and told me and my other friends on vent that hes going to suicide, he told us that hes very depressed his parents recently told him he was a mistake child, his girlfriend broke up with him, all his friends are moving to different places far away to go to other colleges, he doesnt want to go to college now and that he has nothing to live for, he told us that hes telling us this because hes giving us his accounts in the online games.

then he told us hes going to do it on saturday, that wednesday hes going to sell his car and transfer the money to his moms bank account, thursday do some other stuff, friday spend the day with his little brother and saturday do it... he told my friend how hes going to do it, hes going to take ALOT of sleeping pills, i forgot what it was but he said his mom has 3 bottles of sleeping pills so 100+ or more chug a bottle of vodka and slit his wrists verticaly( now i dont know if this is true or not but why would my friend lie about such a thing)

he lives in the miami while all of us live in canada, we have no idea where he lives or anything of that matter. the last time we spoke to him was wednesday night and he told us that was going to be the last time he was going to be on vent.
      We tried talking him out of it and everything but he had made his decision. i wish i could do somthing, inform someone he knows but i dont know any of his friends in real life or anyone close to him.

i dont know what to do, its killing me inside knowing that someone is going to suicide, someone that i know and that i cant do anything about it.

but hopefully he will change his mind i pray.
    • Re: online friend going to suicide

Be there for him and keep insisting there are other ways. There isn't much you can do for online friends, especially if they fail to login to the program which is your only form of communication.

Real life friends and online friends are different in this aspect, as you stated you would do something, such as notifying someone of his intentions, but you are unable to.

I wish you the best of luck, be a friend and if he logs on, be there for him, do not give up on trying, you'll regret it later in life. But if he does change his mind, as terrible as this sounds, take everything with a grain of salt. I do not want to sound like an ass, I really don't, but a lot of people who change their minds don't really change their minds, they predominantly were looking for some form of attention, this isn't always the case, each case is different because of its own mitigating circumstances, but it is something to consider.

Has he given his games accounts up? That would be truly a terrible sign, as gaming accounts to a gamer means a lot to them, it is what they have worked on for hours at a time.

Call 911, ASAP, his IP can be traced from ventrilo logs, msn logs, or however you contact him.

It has been done in the past, every time I've heard of it happening 911 was able to trace the person's location from however they maintained contact on the interet, find the person, and prevent the suicide.

Don't be afraid to do it, and don't doubt that he's actually going to do it, just do it.

Oh and if he's giving his game accounts to you THAT'S NOT A GOOD SIGN. As a gamer, I know how much that means. That's like giving up your house/car/ALL worldly possessions at the same time.

that just doesnt sound like him, and he already told me he isnt trying to get attention or anything like that he just doesn't want to live anymore and we are the only people hes telling and thats because hes giving us the accounts and when we also tried to talk him out of hit he didn't seem like he wanted attention we just chilled in vent playing music and talking and whatnot about things, and yes he did give us the accounts already and his accounts together are worth $1000 minimum if not more.

evan i dont know at first when he said it in vent i didn't believe him and upto this time i still have the doubt that hes lying or somthing but i just dont know, because he typed all the stuff about suicide but he still gave his accounts away but he always seemed happy but im just so confused rightnow what if he actualy isnt and i call the police and then if he actualy isnt trying to suicide

The post was edited 1 time, last by mak ().

All the things you just said are textbook examples of things a person does before committing suicide. On top of that, he *said* he's going to commit suicide. And even if you have doubt... which is better? You not calling, and him dying? Or you calling, and it turning out to be fake. I choose call; better safe than sorry. You will regret it if you don't.

I realize calling 911 is a scary thing to do, but the operators won't take offense if turns out to be false, no one will. He told you he was going to commit suicide, and you acted on that assumption as a friend. They wouldn't care if it turned out to be fake.

p.s.
      If you're still unsure about calling 911 about it, you should talk to your parents about what is going on and bring up the possibility of calling 911.

Try talking to the guy. Tell him there's stuff to live for, etc, etc. Through googling I found:
      Florida Suicide & Crisis Hotlines - When You Feel You Can't Go On... Call a Suicide Hotline. / SuicideHotlines.com - Direction for immediate crisis intervention for the gravely suicidal & treatment for major clinical suicidal depression.
      Might not be real, I would check it out if I were you.

First thing to do is get a chat log of him saying this. The next would be to contact the Miami police. If you want to help them, get the admin for that Vent server and ask him for help. Try and see if he can get the kid's IP address, send that to Miami police. They will then contact the kid's ISP(probably need a subpoena for this), and attempt to contact him.

No guarantees, as Miami is a big city. You might also not be taken seriously, either.

Usernamegoeshere made a fair point, but what he doesn't realize is the chatlogs.

The police have the ability to retrace and check over any chat log in order to find the information they need, from any communications system that goes online. Xat Chatboxes excluded.

Which by this means, they can find and get information regarding his suicide.

Vanack wrote:

Usernamegoeshere made a fair point, but what he doesn't realize is the chatlogs.

The police have the ability to retrace and check over any chat log in order to find the information they need, from any communications system that goes online. Xat Chatboxes excluded.

Which by this means, they can find and get information regarding his suicide.

No they don't. Chatlogs aren't kept on every server/program. Therefore the police would then not have anything. I was just suggesting saving some evidence to pass forward to police, plus it would make the cop's jobs less difficult.