LONG Story

• I am a 16 (almost 17) year old boy and I’ve liked this girl whose 18 in my school for two years now. At the beginning of my sophomore year I noticed that she gave me lots of signs. (Talking loudly when I was near, playing with hair, smiling at me, looking away when I looked at her, etc.). However I never returned any signs or even talked to her. So, when prom came she went with her friend’s brother and then they began dating. About a month after prom I called her and asked if she was dating anyone. She told me, but we continued a conversation. However, summer arrived and I went away. I had lost contact with her. When my junior year started, we saw each other in the halls but didn’t say anything to each other. I once heard her say, “Maybe I should tell him”. She would usually look away, but she looked really sad during homecoming week. She still kept giving me signs, but I didn’t do anything. I’ve heard that she once had a fight with her boyfriend when he told her that she loved her. In January, I overheard her say, “Maybe he doesn’t like me anymore”. When Valentine’s Day came she looked sad again and sometimes would stare off into space. I saw her with her boyfriend once at a basketball game, where she was a player. She sat in the front of the bleachers while her boyfriend was sitting in the back. While playing she seemed like she was showing off whenever she was near me. When the game ended and her boyfriend came to talk to her, she looked back for me, and when she saw me, she quickly turned away. When spring break came, we both went to Europe on a school trip together. We went for ten days and she gave me signs there also. On our first day, it was raining and we both had umbrellas. We both took peaks at each other from under our umbrellas. On another day, she called home and had a conversation with her sister. I overheard her telling her friends that her sister asked her “how are things with him?”. Later that night we went dancing in a club together.
      On another night, I finally worked up the courage to tell her that I still had feelings for her and that I believed that she like me. However she said that she was with someone and that she loved him. She lied and told me that she liked someone last year who didn’t return her feelings, so she started to date her boyfriend when prom came. She told me that there were millions of people in the world and that I would find someone. When she went back to her room, I could hear her scream, “Yes!” to her best friend. After this, she started to talk to me more, even at school. She was always talking about prom for months, but once it did come she said, “Oh, it’s this week? I guess I’ll go”. Weeks passed by and we didn’t talk for a while. She still gave me signs like smiling at me and other stuff. Eventually our school had an awards ceremony, which was where I first fell for her two years ago because we both won a lot of awards. When I came down from the stage after getting an award, I could see her look really sad like she did during last year’s ceremony, only this time she looked even sadder. When the ceremony ended I stood outside waiting for my ride. She came out with her family and she congratulated me while asking if I needed a ride. I told her that I didn’t. School was ending and I was so afraid that I would never see her again, so I decided to ask her for help to become a club president. I asked her to meet me at the end of the school day to help me. She answered some questions I had and we had a conversation. I asked her for her phone number, which she seemed really happy to write down for me. She even started to twirl her keys around and almost hit me with them. So when I called to her to ask more questions, she answered them casually. When I ran out of questions she just said, “See you in school”. The next day she kept looking at me, but we didn’t say anything to each other. School has practically ended and I really want to keep in touch with her. However I really want to know if she has true feelings for me. I mean she has told me twice that she doesn’t and she has a boyfriend. However whenever she looks sad, I just can’t help but think that she does like me deep down. I want to be her friend, but I just don’t know how to ask her.
      I understand that my life will change a lot when I go to college and that I will meet new people, but I've never felt this way about anyone. I mean the least I could do is keep in touch, right? I just think there is something special between us and I want to find out more about it. I tried calling a second time, but she wasn't home. The next few days I didn't call her, but whenever she passed me in the halls, she would quickly look to the side. I just need a way to keep contact with her. However I don't know what EXACTLY to say if I do call her. (It really doesn't help that she acted so casual the last time I called).