Violence

• I just came back from my lesson [it was sth like 20:15] and my parents were watching tv, the news. topic: violence...

Fans (i d better say "hooligans") of two opponents football teams [olympiakos & panathinaikos, in case some 'football lover' knows..] arranged a 'meeting' in order to fight, for no apparent reason.... ['football is their religion'] ... They had guns, daggers, everything they needed. and so they did. seriously, people almost got KILLED. there was a video, and i saw it, it was SHOCKING. they hit each other, there was blood everywhere, and they kept punching and kicking people who had fallen down... like if they wanted to kill them. actually they WANTED to kill them.. for what? for football? for their teams?? i just cant understand.. i have to mention that there was NO FOOTBALL MATCH this day, they just wanted to fight.. some person [not showing his face of course] said that they were going to kill them because they were supporting the other team.. and another man hit a small boy just because he was wearing a t shirt of another team. A SMALL BOY. i mean, its insane. people are sick..

and this is just an example... everyday we see wars, where people get killed for economical profits, for NOTHING, [like in iraq]
      how many people were killed? how many children lost their parents?

and even in our everyday life: boys of my age [at around 16-17] or even younger, fight with each other, when they have an arguement.. and this way, they think they solve the problem... not to mention this 10year old boy who was killed by his classmates, for gods shake! i heard it in tv. everyday, something new.. how many kids in this forum say the problems they face by their own families? abuse, violence..

we are supposed to be humans and we want to say that we are superior than animals cause we have the ability to think and understand whats wrong and right..

but why, why, why are all these things happening? why is our society like that? i know i ask things that cannot be answered... but i just kept thinkng of it and thought that i HAD to tell someone..

tell me ur opinions....
      [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]butterfly_sophie :eek: :rolleyes:[/COLOR]

• Re: Violence

Violence has gone on for thousands of years, the reason that we're so aware of it now is because of the news and it's ability to relay information in seconds.

There will be death, there will be struggles, there will be war until the end and that depends on what you place your faith in.

At one point in the past there was a picture painted of war, as it being "romantic" and "honorable." This was all but abolished for youth when they saw it first hand and when the radio came out.

We can only keep on a moral path ourselves and try not to join the amassed crowds of the world, becoming another face in the crowd.

i guess u are right but dont u think that some things are REALLY exaggerate?
      i m not sure if things used to be that way some years earlier....
      i dont know, everyday i see such horrible things on tv that make me think that all we deserve is a meteorite, to destroy the earth and us all..
      [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]butterfly_sophie :eek: :rolleyes:[/COLOR]

You need to be careful with the news because you don't know how well they told the story. They can edit clips to make it seem worse.
      But non the less, violence has gotten worse over the years.
      But it will always be there.
      Someone always has to be better than the other.
      Sadly, its always judged on strength.

My opinion about violence.
      I've been around it all my life.
      So I try to avoid it.
      But, if called for it happens.

"World Peace"
      Will never happen.

: ]

Lynn

Strawberry_Wine wrote:

"World Peace"
      Will never happen.

: ]

Lynn

?

I think the reason violence is so prevalent is that our society touts it as normal and sane. Violence is almost never sane. It is an absurd and mutually damaging way to resolve conflicts. I think in general children need to be taught not just that violence is "bad" but that it's completely absurd and unnatural.
      And your very flesh shall be a great poem.
      -Walt Whitman

Violence occurs when a person closes his ears, opens his mouth and shuts off his brain. It is the same with all violence. It is the deactivation of all logical and reasonable thought that leads inevitably to violence and conflict.
      The one solution to violence is the ability to consider the situation in a logical manner that is not abscured by anger or something similar. If a person cannot judge a situation based on the facts, but instead relies on subjective beliefs, there will always be conflict. It is a matter of clear, level-headed thought. Violence is the tool of those whos minds are too weak to consider alternatives.

As long as there are heathen (I will not apoligize for calling them that) who will strap babies to bombs without second thought, there will be war. Look at Iraq; a simple mission to restore goverment became grossly overcomplicated when extremists, fueled by weapons and supplies from North Korea (might have been Iran, I get the two confused when I'm tired) who sacrifice themselves for belifs conjured out of stupidity. War will exist as long as people have differences of opinion. Sorry, but "utopia" is impossible.
      It is a sad day when an innocent nation's flag is decried as hate speech.

If I say it, I believe it. Most of the time, anyway. :lol:

FutureNavyMan08 wrote:

As long as there are heathen (I will not apoligize for calling them that) who will strap babies to bombs without second thought, there will be war. Look at Iraq; a simple mission to restore goverment became grossly overcomplicated when extremists, fueled by weapons and supplies from North Korea (might have been Iran, I get the two confused when I'm tired) who sacrifice themselves for belifs conjured out of stupidity. War will exist as long as people have differences of opinion. Sorry, but "utopia" is impossible.

Unless violence is made physically impossible.
      -Walt Whitman

My body turns sore at the thought. Personally, PT (Physical Training) and Military drill do wonders for me and my stress. See, part of drill involves control over your mind. You can't burst out laughing when some head honcho guy is standing in front of you. The same goes for beating the crap outta him if he makes an unfortunate comment about your shoes not being shiny enough (trust me, don't ask ;)). So I manage to control my emotions and testosterone more. :)

FutureNavyMan08 wrote:

Thats not possible unless you throw every human on the planet in jail.

Everybody these days assumes a thousand things about the future. Technology is advancing exponentially, in fact the *exponent* is growing exponentially. Even the near future (our lifetimes) will be so different that nobody today can begin to imagine it. I for one don't even assume that we will have physical bodies, nor anything close to the minds that we possess now. I don't know whether there will always be violence, but I consider it a distinct possibility that one day there will not be (not physical violence, at least.)
      -Walt Whitman

Sorry godless, I don't see that happening. Man has made many attempts at world peace: the League of Nations, the United Nations, and the camp David Accords for example. A world without violence is simply not going to happen. What you are suggesting is a society controled by technology. Such a society, in my beleif, would be destructive to mankind.

Might I recommend Farinheight 451 by Ray Bradbury?

FutureNavyMan08 wrote:

My body turns sore at the thought. Personally, PT (Physical Training) and Military drill do wonders for me and my stress. See, part of drill involves control over your mind. You can't burst out laughing when some head honcho guy is standing in front of you. The same goes for beating the crap outta him if he makes an unfortunate comment about your shoes not being shiny enough (trust me, don't ask ;)). So I manage to control my emotions and testosterone more. :)

Trust me. I know about all that. My Fiance is a soldier. And that is why I applaud all of them because I can't controle my anger to save my life these days.

Back to the topic for a minut.
      With the future comming I don't see a reason to doubt that Violence could stop. I dont think "world peace" will happen, but maybe physical violence can stop. I never doubt things 100% unless I have full reason.

FutureNavyMan08 wrote:

Sorry godless, I don't see that happening. Man has made many attempts at world peace: the League of Nations, the United Nations, and the camp David Accords for example. A world without violence is simply not going to happen. What you are suggesting is a society controled by technology. Such a society, in my beleif, would be destructive to mankind.

Might I recommend Farinheight 451 by Ray Bradbury?

I have read Fahrenheit 451. Society is already ruled by technology, if you hadn't noticed, and it will only be more so in the future. But because of the anachronistic view people still have of "machines"--that they are slow, stupid, and unfeeling--they cannot foresee a future "governed by technology" except as some kind of dark dystopia. (Luddites anyone?) I don't know if this will happen, but it is theoretically possible that in a society that exists essentially inside a single computer network, violence itself--or any other abridgement of freedom--will simply be metaphysically impossible.

It is difficult to wrap your head around, and even I have trouble believing it, but I have to consider it a possibility. I would go into more detail but as I'm bad at explaining these things you all would think I was completely insane. Instead I'll recommend the book "The Singularity is Near" by Ray Kurzweil. If you have time to read it, (it's rather lengthy...) then I highly recommend you enlighten yourself.
      -Walt Whitman