Is the Education System in America too lax?

• Is the Education System in America too lax?

Is the System Too Easy 19
        Yes (11) 58%
        No (2) 11%
        Maybe (3) 16%
        HUH? (1) 5%
        I don't like school (2) 11%
      The Education system in America has become more and more lax in recent times. Expectations of students continue to decrease and the difficulty of the courses in schools is such that it would not stimulate learning. Schools become too dependent on Standerdized testing and do not encourage logical, reasonable and critical thought.
    • Re: Is the Education System in America too lax?

jnifw3nloi wrote:

The Education system in America has become more and more lax in recent times. Expectations of students continue to decrease and the difficulty of the courses in schools is such that it would not stimulate learning. Schools become too dependent on Standerdized testing and do not encourage logical, reasonable and critical thought.

I hate that learning is an institution at all. Nobody's going to learn rational, individual thought in a setting like that. I'm homeschooling myself as soon as I get the chance.
      And your very flesh shall be a great poem.
      -Walt Whitman

Why should it not be possible? To hear the opinions of you peers, to root out prejudice and blind ignorance before it starts, is that not beneficial to everyone? The problem is how it is done at the moment. The system is too easy, people are not motivated, not taught well, they are not challenged to grow.

jnifw3nloi wrote:

Why should it not be possible? To hear the opinions of you peers, to root out prejudice and blind ignorance before it starts, is that not beneficial to everyone? The problem is how it is done at the moment. The system is too easy, people are not motivated, not taught well, they are not challenged to grow.

And how can they be when they're just another head in a classroom? I think it's dehumanizing to be taught like cattle, even more so when your education is directed nearly completely by your parents and teachers and not by yourself. Learning should not and cannot be something shoved down your throat; you should go out and achieve it yourself.

Students who sit for seven hours in desks watching the time tick by are not doing that.
      And your very flesh shall be a great poem.
      -Walt Whitman

I do not remember mentioning class size or teaching methods. I ask that if you are discussing things with me you do not insert words into my mouth or meaning into my post.
      There must be basic education before there can be higher education, the latter directed by oneself. When a person is not mentally mature, he needs guidance because he cannot make the descision that will benefit him the most. Afterwards, a person can be free to learn by himself.

I need to put my 50 cents in here.
      The main problem with public education stems from the local side. The national goverment funds education very richly, and laws such as the "No Child Left Behind Act" are there to help improve things. However, an increasingly large amount of local boards of Education are exhibiting nothing short of incompetency in the way they spend money. For example, fat paychecks. Only when that is fixed can one continue to the next problem: morale. Thanks to celebrities, the picture has been painted that school is a waste of time. Something needs to be done about that.
      It is a sad day when an innocent nation's flag is decried as hate speech.

If I say it, I believe it. Most of the time, anyway. :lol:

jnifw3nloi wrote:

I would have assumed that with all schools being so dependent on standardized testing, expectations of students would increase.

JCpatriots wrote:

Compared to other countries, yes, it probably is...but it is still pretty tough over here.

not really... the teachers here really cant do anything 2 the students that act out or that dont pay attention in class so they jux let it happen & that causes the students that wanna learn sumthin not b able to because the teachers let the students disrupt then they jux quit all 2gether... so no1 learns
      LUV ME OR HATE ME... EiTHER WAY ULL NEVA 4GET ME

JR wrote:

they should just cancel all standarized testing practice. its shit
      other than that. i think its alright. a little bit easy infact. i barely show up to class and when i do, i get A's B's and C's. i like it this way

I agree with you completely there, but not the second half. I go to school in hopes of learning something, but do I often accomplish this? NO. They're teaching us the bare minimum, enough to pass standardized test. Do they teach to learn outside of that? NO.
      i don't sleep

Alot of schools are forced to rely so heavily on Standardized testing because the government forces them too, If the government doesn't think your teaching your kids the right way, then your out and they will just hire someone else,

If you want a special type of Education, Your best bet is private school, and most of the time thats too expensive for people like me, so I'm forced to just get a new book at the library and read up.

I think its more students in America are too lax. Most high schools have a curriculum that will allow students to really challenge themselves .. but only if they want to. Schools could make it where every child in the school was required to take an extremely challenging schedule, but if the students don't want to succeed, they aren't going to.
      [CENTER][SIZE=1]------------------------------------------[/SIZE][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][SIZE=1]We've been treating love like a battlefield
      For far too long.
      [/SIZE][/CENTER]
      [CENTER] [/CENTER]