Pedophilia

• Disclaimer: I know this is an extremely emotionally-charged (if not exactly "controversial") topic so before I throw questions out there I want to specifiy that I AM NOT A PEDOPHILE NOR DO I SUPPORT CHILD MOLESTATION. Just because I am (as you will see) more sympathetic to pedophiles than the average Joe, that does not mean I think some motherfucker on the street raping a child is justified. I think such people belong in prison or mental hospitals. The topic of this thread is PEDOPHILIA. I repeat: not CHILD ABUSE, but PEDOPHILIA. Please no personal attacks or "debating" at all. I want this to be a discussion. so hotheads can leave.

Also: the below are not rhetorical questions.

Now here are some questions that I have to anybody out there who cares to answer, especially those who think that pedophiles are by default sick or criminal:

1. Aren't there pedophiles who do not act (illegally) on their desires? Why is there such a stigma against pedophilia, ANY pedophilia, if clearly not every pedophile molests children? If you remove the act, all that's left is an attraction. Why is that in itself any more disgusting than, say, homosexuality?

2. Aren't age of consent laws a little arbitrary? When does a person become "mature" enough to have an intimate relationship and why is the law justified in essentially making up an age at which this happens?

3. What EXACTLY is the psychological harm of having consentual sex at a young age?

4. Can it be assumed that pedophiles are mentally ill? Is pedophilia an illness in all cases or can it just be regarded as another orientation.

I'm not going to respond to anybody who jumps down my throat or is hotheaded.
    And your very flesh shall be a great poem.
    -Walt Whitman
  • Re: Pedophilia

The biggest problem of accusing someone of pedophilia as well as a number of such "sexual abuse" cases is defining the maturity of a person. If this is determined, it is possible to clearly and logically define the legal limits and issues associated with these actions.
    It is shown by scientific study that the human brain does not fully develop until the age of 19-23. When the brain matures, the individual is capable of processing information from all areas of the brain fully. I judge this to be maturity and thus the age during which a person may be fully responcible for his or her actions.

jnifw3nloi wrote:

The biggest problem of accusing someone of pedophilia as well as a number of such "sexual abuse" cases is defining the maturity of a person. If this is determined, it is possible to clearly and logically define the legal limits and issues associated with these actions.
    It is shown by scientific study that the human brain does not fully develop until the age of 19-23. When the brain matures, the individual is capable of processing information from all areas of the brain fully. I judge this to be maturity and thus the age during which a person may be fully responcible for his or her actions.

Pedophilia is usually accepted as those attracted to children or adolescents. So attraction to those up until around the age of 19 is considered pedophilia; although stricter definitions only include pubescent or prepubuscent children.

As for maturity, don't you think there are plenty of examples of responsible/mature people below the age of 19 as well as "grown-ups" who despite being large and hairy are still childish?
    -Walt Whitman

Such "maturity" is not grounded in biological development, such a thing is prone to scrutiny of the law. Until biological maturity is developed, a person is still not completely able to consiously use all of his resources to make a descision. The large hairy adults, on the other hand, must bear responcibility for their own actions.
    Despite the greatness of the human mind, it must always be known that our intelligence is based upon the inperfection of our biological brain. Until the brain is completely developed, any person, no matter how logical, intelligent or understanding, will not be able to make full use of his or her mind.
    Think insanity. Not a choice but the result of chemical imbalances in the brain.

Honestly, I'm not even sure if I should be commenting on this as I was a victim of this particular crime.

Here's what I say: Anyone who Thinks of a child in that way is sick. Just sick. Anyone who who acts it out should be flogged publically. Not only is it just horrible, it also damages the child mentally. I always thought that what happened to me was my fault. Still do in fact. And what happened has also gave me many many trust issues and made me suicidal. I finally sort of got over the suicidal tendacies, but the issues are still affecting everything I do. It's destroyed my relationships with the people i care most about. What I think people don't understand is that just a few instances (though it was more than a few) of things that most people wouldn't think much of since it was *not* technially rape could affect someone so greatly. Just once can give a person a lot of problems later on.

Anyway, i have a lot moreto say about this subject, but I'm just going to shut up now. lol

EDIT: oops, i forgot the 'not' in that sentence...lol

WriterChick wrote:

Honestly, I'm not even sure if I should be commenting on this as I was a victim of this particular crime.

Here's what I say: Anyone who Thinks of a child in that way is sick. Just sick. Anyone who who acts it out should be flogged publically. Not only is it just horrible, it also damages the child mentally. I always thought that what happened to me was my fault. Still do in fact. And what happened has also gave me many many trust issues and made me suicidal. I finally sort of got over the suicidal tendacies, but the issues are still affecting everything I do. It's destroyed my relationships with the people i care most about. What I think people don't understand is that just a few instances (though it was more than a few) of things that most people wouldn't think much of since it was *not* technially rape could affect someone so greatly. Just once can give a person a lot of problems later on.

Anyway, i have a lot moreto say about this subject, but I'm just going to shut up now. lol

EDIT: oops, i forgot the 'not' in that sentence...lol

WriterChick, I don't claim to have any experience or even idea of what you went through, but please know that I do empathize with you. I agree with jnifw3nloi's last post that if it causes psychological or physical suffering it should not be allowed. So please, as a friend, realize I'm not trying to belittle the situation you're in but only trying to ask questions honestly and dispassionately.

Was what happened to you consensual or was it coerced?

And why do you think that anybody who so much as *thinks* that is sick? What is your grounds for that? People can have all kinds of thoughts that would be bad in practice to carry out but that does not make them sick. It makes them human.
    -Walt Whitman

godless_musician wrote:

WriterChick, I don't claim to have any experience or even idea of what you went through, but please know that I do empathize with you. I agree with jnifw3nloi's last post that if it causes psychological or physical suffering it should not be allowed. So please, as a friend, realize I'm not trying to belittle the situation you're in but only trying to ask questions honestly and dispassionately.

Was what happened to you consensual or was it coerced?

And why do you think that anybody who so much as *thinks* that is sick? What is your grounds for that? People can have all kinds of thoughts that would be bad in practice to carry out but that does not make them sick. It makes them human.

Well, thanks for that, i guess.

And, well, it's complicated. See, it was my dad that did it. And,.....honestly.....I wa so young that i honestly thought that it was normal. At least, that's what he led me to believe. It went on from since i could remember, to when i was about 9 or 10. And, at first it was just him convincing me, but then....sometimes i would go to him. But only because i didn't know that i wasn't supposed to. I would never call it consensual though. Just a little kid that didn;t know any better.

And i think that because it makes me sick. Just knowing that my dad looks at my breasts and all that...it just makes me sick...and guilty.

And, yeah, i know, plenty of people have weird fantasies. I have plenty myself. But to think of a little *child* in that way. it's just wrong. And i should tell you what I consider child: birth to 11 or 12. Once a kid hits the teens and hits puberty, well, that's when they start to know what's going on and all that. But a little child is innocent and should be kept that way for as long as possible. I never really got a chance to be innocent and i blame my father for that.

So, yeah, I don't approve of even thinking of a child in that way. Now, a 25 yr old thinking about a 15 yr old? that's fine i guess. agianst the law, but fine to me. But a 30-something yr old thinking about a 6yr old? that's bothers me.