Problem With a friend

• Problem With a friend

I have a friend and she is constantly saying she is fat and ugly, when actually she is the opposite.
      she is really quite thin (going by bmi she is actually just underweight) and she talks about how she needs to eat less and things like that. the fact that she thinks this was not helped by the fact that her boyfriend (who means well but can be quite insensitive) said that all her weight go to her legs.
      she also thinks that she is ugly when again it is the oposite, her boyfriend thinks that, i think that and her friends think that - she's even said that random guys look at her when she goes out - thats got to show something!
      she is the only one who think she is fat and ugly and nothing that anyone says to her changes that.

i really dont know what to say to her anymore has anyone got any ideas what i could say to make her feel better about herself?

oh and another thing, it is quite frustrating (and annoying) to here her go on about it all the time
      [SIZE=3][/SIZE][CENTER][SIZE=2] I think, its time for a change
      [/SIZE]
      [/CENTER]
    • Re: Problem With a friend

I've had similar situations like these. I can't believe how many guys and girls are like this. It seems like you've done all you can, and have talked to her about this lots of times already, so I'm not sure sure what else you can say that hasn't already been said. Have you tried talking to the boyfriend, and to her friends? Tell them that they should appreciate her more. Tell them the situation : She's not fat, but she thinks she is, and wants to lose weight. That can be dangerous, and you need their help to assure her that she is fine.

If all else fails, maybe she should leave her insensitive boyfriend, and find someone who would appreciate her more for what she is.

Her friends do apreciate her, its not like they dont care about her
      and her boyfriend.. well he does really care about her it's just he's not allways that sensitive towards her feelings, he always realizes when he's upset her and he is allways sorry
      [SIZE=3][/SIZE][CENTER][SIZE=2] I think, its time for a change
      [/SIZE]
      [/CENTER]

I can relate to what she is going through. I trust you when you say she isn't fat, nor ugly. But, the fact is, if she's accepted the fact in her mind that she is fat, ugly and needs to lose weight - then no one can tell her different, she will not believe it. No matter who reasures her. Now, her 'boyfriend' is just not helping the situation at all nor are her friends. I'm sure they don't mean it in a mean way, but it's not helping her really, is it?

If she is underweight according to her BMI and she still thinks that she needs to lose weight then the situation can get alot worse. I know it must be annoying and frustrating for you to hear her say things about herself that just aren't true.

Keep reasuring her that she isn't all them things, be there for her and keep an eye on the situation as a whole - especially with the weight situation. Constant reasurance is key. If the situation doesn't get any better - maybe have a serious chat about it all with her?

SimpleGirl*