No Fair

• ok, so there's this mixer (dance) Friday, and everyone I know is going (including all the friends my mom knows). so I go and ask Mom if I can go, and she says No. So then I get really mad, and I'm just like, "why can't I go?!?" And do you know what she said? "I don't know everyone there."
      HOW IS THAT AN ANSWER?!?
      first of all, no parents know all the kids who are going to be there. and they get to go! second of all, the point of the dance is to meet new people. people i don't know! GAHHHHHH, THAT'S TOTALLY UNREALISTIC!
      so then i tell her what i'm thinking, and she goes, "you know, i told you this last year. the only reason i let you go to those parties was that i knew everyone there."
      FIRST OF ALL, NO YOU DID NOT!
      and second of all, i'm getting older. i'm in high school now, and you've gotta learn to trust me! SERIOUSLY, THIS IS NOT COOL! YOU'RE TREATING ME LIKE A LITTLE KID!
      i asked her, "what do you think could possibly happen?!?"
      and she goes, "let me think about it."
      so now, i'm in my room, steaming off of anger.
      correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't she trust me?
    • Re: No Fair

Yeaa, that is unfair.
      And you're right it just isn't an answer at all - it's more like a cocky reply to be honest. It's not really a valid reason "I don't know everyone there" to not let you go.

She should trust you this time and let you go because it will make her realise that you are trustworthy and that you can go to places and she need not worry too much, it'll also, quite possibly, make her say "yes" more often to other places you want to go to in the future, maybe? Know what I mean?

Don't blame you for being annoyed. Parents can be so frustrating sometimes.

SimpleGirl*

The following advice could result in angry mom.
      :D

rebel
      if shes going to treat you like a kid
      just go do it.

shes being retarded, if she doesn't trust you by now, i doubt shes going to trust you by the time your 18, and by then you can make your own decisions.

just sneak out, or something bro, lie saying you got this new friend and plan to go to the movies or something, then just go to the party.

OH wait, thats not gonna work, its a 'new' friend, she doesn't know.

oh wait, heres something that could work. HOPE to god theres a football game Friday, and say your going to that, then go to party.

oh wait, theres even more people she doesn't know there, so football cant work.
      shit bro, don't even go to school tomorrow, your mom doesn't know everyone in your class.

junk don't get on computer, she doesn't know everyone you talk to.

junk don't think about anyone, she doesn't know everyone your think about.

junk don't look at everyone, she doesn't know everyone you look at.

ok I'm sorry i went on a little to long.

/rant.

mum knows best.

you will understand when your a mother! no, seriously your constantly worrying.

you don't really know anybody thats going to the party anything could happen to you. i sound like the biggest dork but from experience i can tell you its a pretty dangerous environment to be in.

don't do what these people are saying and 'sneak out' then she definitely wont trust you thats really dumb.

listen to your mum, atleast she cares about you.
      [CENTER] [/CENTER]
      [CENTER] [/CENTER]
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

It was the last sentence with the word "trust" that makes me wonder why your mum is hard on you. I'm not making any assumptions here but trust has to be built up.

It's not that she doesn't want you to go. It's because she's concerned as any decent parent is for the safety of her child. I am not labelling you as a "child". But in your mum's eyes, you are her "baby" as it were, so naturally she is worried although I wouldn't mind betting that she does feel she's being unfair to you.

Your mum when she was your age, her mum was probably just as difficult as you see yours. All parents went through the same difficulties and hardships you're experiencing now. But perhaps the time has come where you have got to be working on getting your mum trust you more. For with trust comes liberty.

Best,
      Poppi

Since I've been in high school my dad would just become unreasonably strict about me going places for no reason apparent (to me). Here's what I found works;

Instead of screaming and crying like a little baby, which will most likely result in her not changing her mind, you need to compromise. Go down there, talk CALMLY to her, and try to make a deal. You'll do extra chores, you'll promise to do better in school, you won't ask to go out for the rest of the week, etc.

And if you want her to trust you, earn it. Tell her what you plan to do, and when you plan to leave, etc. If you want to be treated like an adult, you can't go whining and bitching about every time things are unfair.

This works every time with my dad.
      In the end, what you have to understand, is that nobody really cares what YOU want.
      Constantly yelling about what "you you you" want to do, is not going to help you at all. Make sure she believes that in the end, she is winning. That is how you influence an argument.
      [SIZE=1]“He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”[/SIZE]
      -Douglas Adams