"Don't Label Me!" said the song.

• "Don't Label Me!" said the song.

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone else has a hard time answering the question, "What kind of music do you listen to?" or "What kind of music do you write/sing/play?"

I definitely have a hard time. I listen to various kinds of music. It's not the genre or label that interests me most; it's the artists, the individual songs-- even the lyrics, chord progressions, orchestrations, masterings, etc. --that attract me to music. The simplest answer I can give when people ask what "kind" of music I like is, "Good music, of course!" The same goes for the stuff I write. I have a terrible time trying to classify it. It's a little like pop, a little like romantic (post-classical) music, a little like folk music, and a little like songs you'd find in a musical... But that's all excluding my dance tracks and soundtrack-esque instrumentals!

I don't mean to say that labeling music is a very bad thing to do--just in my personal opinion it's a little like trying to label people. Why do people need labels? Aren't someone's unique quirks and characteristics more important than their "personality type"? I think it's the same with music.

How do you guys feel about this?
    • Re: "Don't Label Me!" said the song.

"Good music, of course!"

my exact response to the question w/e its asked.
      the only thing thats hard is that alot of people i talk
      to about music only like rock. i like rock music but i like underground
      hip hop more so im easily bored.
      "Something to relieve the pressures of their everyday life, like having to tie their shoes. "