Gay Marriage..ok, or not ok?

• Re: Gay Marriage..ok, or not ok?

Word meanings change over time as well. Just because a word BEGAN as meaning one thing does not stop it from growing to change into a new meaning. If you know about word roots and etymology then you should be comfortable and knowledgable with that idea as well.

Personally, you're right about people putting up a fuss about creating a new name for "gay marriage". I can see why some would think it is not a big deal (and logically it isn't a big deal). But there are certain connotations with marriage, and having to make a new word for "gay marriage" really just emotionally makes some people feel that "gay marraige" doesn't live up to "straight marriage", like it's a second-rate type of marriage. Whether this idea is right or wrong really depends on personal preference, but it is a matter of fact, and one cannot ignore basic instinct to believe that.

If two people want to get married regardless of their sexual orientation then I don't have a problem with it and quite honestly, don't see why anyone else should have either. They'll most likely not be directly involved in your life (unless you know them) so even if you did have a problem with it, you wouldn't have to know about it.
      [SIZE=3]"If you visit the killing floor of a slaughter house, it will brand your soul for life." :( [/SIZE]
      [SIZE=3]- Howard Lyman.[/SIZE]

Veggienator wrote:

If two people want to get married regardless of their sexual orientation then I don't have a problem with it and quite honestly, don't see why anyone else should have either. They'll most likely not be directly involved in your life (unless you know them) so even if you did have a problem with it, you wouldn't have to know about it.

:thumbsup:GP

brantleyj2011 wrote:

its not of god

Pointless.

brantleyj2011 wrote:

and its un natural

Absolutely not. Natural means "of nature," and homosexuality has been observed in nature, in animals and humans for thousands of years. Of course, straight hamsters run away from gay hamsters, similar to that in humans.

brantleyj2011 wrote:

thats why people have a problem with it.

I agree with the conclusion, but not from your premise. People have a problem with it because they are homophobic, not because it is natural.

It is, however, a common logic error to attempt to evade a proof by finding a similar proof that doesn't prove what the target proof does. If the other proof proves the literal opposite of the first, this is valid, but if the similar proof simply fails to reach the same conclusion, it doesn't invalidate the first proof in any way.

Neal C.
      Nice guys talk because they have something to say; pick-up artists talk because they have to say something.

The only thing I have a problem with are the 1050 federal rights married couples get that domestic partnerships don't have. In Calfornia it's a bit better (you at least get to see your lover in the hospital unlike in most states), but there are literally hundreds upon hundreds of tax, insurance, and legal benefits that all Americans should get. It is UNCONSTITUTIONAL that same sex couples cannot have these rights on the basis of religion.

flygirl382 wrote:

So what does everyone think about gay marriage? Where I'm from (Canada) it's legal, but do you guys think it should be?

Oh, and I think that gay marriage should be legal :)

I really see no problem with it.

In my opinion, love is love. And the world is filled with too much hate for us to try and tell a certain kind of love that it shouldn't exist.
      [CENTER][LEFT][SIZE=2]"Anyone unable to understand how a useful religion can be founded in lies will not understand this book either.[/SIZE][SIZE=2] So be it."
      -Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle.
      [/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [/CENTER]

Targeted wrote:

gays should be allowed to get married, people say its against the bible etc but this world is not a church, we have free will and we should be allowed to use it.

People also fail to realize that the bible is hardly applicable in today's world.
      [CENTER][LEFT][SIZE=2]"Anyone unable to understand how a useful religion can be founded in lies will not understand this book either.[/SIZE][SIZE=2] So be it."
      -Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle.
      [/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [/CENTER]

We shouldn't even be giving religious or reasons from the Bible... Marriage has nothing to do with religion. You go to a court house, read and sign documents, and then you are married. It's then up to you two if you WISH to take part in a religious ceremony. Religion has nothing to do with the legality of marriage, nothing to do with the benefits, and you get DIVCORCED in a COURT... not a church. Marriage is secular. Religion is not applicable to this issue.

Bible this, bible that, honest to god, who cares?! So many people who get married aren't religious at all! Marriage is about two people who love each other not god. If two people love each other they should be allowed to get married, why should they be unhappy because of some book written thousands of years ago which a majority of people don't even agree with!!!
      Two consenting adults who are in love should marry, regardless of whether they are the same sex or not!
      [CENTER][SIZE=2][/SIZE] [/CENTER]

x-mercedes-x wrote:

Bible this, bible that, honest to god, who cares?! So many people who get married aren't religious at all! Marriage is about two people who love each other not god. If two people love each other they should be allowed to get married, why should they be unhappy because of some book written thousands of years ago which a majority of people don't even agree with!!!
      Two consenting adults who are in love should marry, regardless of whether they are the same sex or not!

Agreed.