Catholics -- Bad Example of Christianity?

• Re: Catholics -- Bad Example of Christianity?

I was raised Catholic but I am not religious.

As far as my experiences go, I think Catholics are more moderate in their religious and political thinking than their other Christian counterparts such as Baptists and Born-Agains.

That's not to say that there are problems with the Catholic Church. It's primary function is being a money-making organization by selling an invisible product.
      11/4/08 - National Epic Fail Day

[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [/CENTER]

The Guardian wrote:

joe m wrote:

Religion = Evil not the people who are brainwashed into believing in it. There just dumb.
      How so?

Because it is run by a premise that cannot distinguish good from evil. The root argument here that you either believe or don't believe - is something that is a moral agent, but cannot distinguish good from evil, is itself an evil.

The Guardian wrote:

How can you, if you believe not in a religion, believe in the moral standings of Good and Evil?

Now wait a minute. Are you saying people can only believe in moral standings of good and evil only if they are religious?

Neal wrote:

Because it is run by a premise that cannot distinguish good from evil. The root argument here that you either believe or don't believe - is something that is a moral agent, but cannot distinguish good from evil, is itself an evil.

Now wait a minute. Are you saying people can only believe in moral standings of good and evil only if they are religious?

Yet, you cannot prove that, as you see truth as subjective?

If you do believe, in a common Good and Evil, than you unknowingly believe in something higher than yourself.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [/CENTER]
      [CENTER]We're the first to fight, the last to leave. We're your worst nightmare, and your greatest blessing. We are the US Marines!
      [/CENTER]

lol, I'm going to give you a couple of days for that, then I may do it.

If you cannot see it now, you, most likely, will not see it then.
      [CENTER]We're the first to fight, the last to leave. We're your worst nightmare, and your greatest blessing. We are the US Marines!
      [/CENTER]

The fact of the matter is, Neal, he has no point. This guy just throws statements out there at random in an order that looks like a carefully thought out argument until you get confused and give up.
      She kept lookin' at her watch (Doesn't matter; had sex)
      But I cried the whole time (Doesn't matter; had sex)
      I think she might've been a racist (Doesn't matter; had sex)
      She put a bag on my head (Still counts)

Endymion wrote:

The fact of the matter is, Neal, he has no point. This guy just throws statements out there at random in an order that looks like a carefully thought out argument until you get confused and give up.

I think it best, as you clearly demonstrated with your point that Catholics are judgmental, generalizing them, that you have no room to speak. As you yourself are among the ranks you so colorfully and hatefully painted.
      [/CENTER]

The Guardian wrote:

I think it best, as you clearly demonstrated with your point that Catholics are judgmental, generalizing them, that you have no room to speak. As you yourself are among the ranks you so colorfully and hatefully painted.

Are you judging her?

This is yet another misconception that Christians commonly have, and you are making it.

Is this post about the truthfulness of her argument - or about something else such as being judgmental to Catholics, therefore, "no room to speak?"

Because, what I think matter is whether her post is true or not. The "truthfulness" of her post. That is, "how true" is her post and "how false" is her post. Whether she supports abortion or is a sinner or judges others or whether she bites her nails is irrelevant, you know?

The validity of an argument does not depend in any way on the person who makes it.

You either agree with her post if you cannot find any errors in it - not any ad hominem fallacies dependent on particular attributes she has or outcomes she does.

Person A and person B can both make the same exact argument - the truthfulness of that argument will be the same, regardless of which person made it. This is a common misconception among Christians - that argument strengths are dependent on the person who makes them.

Neal, you mentioned the same thing twice. :rolleyes: I do see something wrong with it, as she is being personally biased toward a particular group or people, in this case Catholics. As such, this argument, as you and she as demonstrated very well, everyone has this particular flaw.

Tell me, how have I judged her? I have only stated what I see, as such that, it forms an argument against, not just her, but you and the rest of the world(including myself).

Now, defy that argument.
      [/CENTER]

I'd easily befriend a Catholic, and I wouldn't intentionally attack them for it -- especially personally.

I'm just wondering if the generally judgmental and overly strict nature of Catholicism brings up a bad image of Christianity.

The radical catholics who are judgemental are not the only denominations of the christian faith who can be some what judgmental and have views that are regarded as 'wrong'.
      I'm not an expert on religion but every religion has views that are taken to extremes.
      Whether it be the place of woman in the home, homophobic behavior, prejudiced views against a certain ethnic group.
      So what I'm trying to say Ammon, is that I doubt that the behavior of some catholics brings about a bad image of christianity. As I live in Northern Ireland I can say that Protestants during the troubles brought a bad image on christianity. Every denomination has its faults.
      [SIZE="4"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Depuis toujours, dans tes rêves![/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Guardian wrote:

Neal, you mentioned the same thing twice. :rolleyes:

Let's see it. Not that I would ever deny repeating myself. Sometimes I do that. There is no principle that says I can only say things once.

The Guardian wrote:

I do see something wrong with it, as she is being personally biased toward a particular group or people, in this case Catholics. As such, this argument, as you and she as demonstrated very well, everyone has this particular flaw.

Okay, fine, she's judgmental. She "judges" people. She does things you do not like.

And the fact of the matters is, she made this post:

You either agree with it or disagree with it (and all the possibilities in between). Now, what does being judgmental got to do with the truth value of it?

The Guardian wrote:

Tell me, how have I judged her?

In order for me to answer that, I would have to agree with that.

The Guardian wrote:

I have only stated what I see, as such that, it forms an argument against, not just her, but you and the rest of the world(including myself).

Now, defy that argument.

I'm not sure how that refutes her argument, or mine.

Do you agree with my argument?

"The validity of an argument does not depend in any way on the person who makes it."