Flags and their meanings

• Flags and their meanings

Well, in a survey from another topic there was a question that said would you burn an American flag if someone gave you $1 million? Many people said yes for the money. But what troubles me is that some said things like 'sure, who cares? its just a piece of material', and stuff like that. Well that's what this topic is about:

1. What do you believe the flags of nations mean or symbolize, if anything?

2. Do you think that burning or defacing a nation's flag is a very offensive insult? Why or why not?

Here's my response.

I believe that a nation's flag symbolizes everything about that nation. It may be just a piece of material physically, but the entire reason it exists is because it symbolizes something special. When you burn or deface the flag of a nation, especially publicly, you are basically saying "Fuck that" to everything special about that nation: its people, its culture, its history, its government, its traditions, its constitution and laws, etc. I believe it's one of the most offensive things one can do and I don't think I could bring myself to burn the flag of any nation, even those that are hostile to the U.S.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
    • Re: Flags and their meanings

The flag is a symbol of that country; It normally has a deep meaning relating to that country. Pissing on a flag, Is like pissing on their country, This is why they find it offensive.
      [CENTER][SIZE=3]If you want any Support/Advice/Just someone to talk to, PM me.[/SIZE]

[COLOR="Purple"][SIZE="3"]Please [COLOR="Orange"]Plus[/COLOR] rep me if you think i'm useful[/SIZE][/COLOR] [/CENTER]

I agree with all of the above, a Nation's Flag is the representation of everything the nation stands for, i.e. the US flag stands for our 50 states, the 13 original colonies, and our freedom and spirit.

As for the burning part, I would never burn a flag in spite or disrespect. However, Boy Scouts is one of the few organizations allowed by the Government to burn a US flag, and that is to retire old and worn flags. I've done it several times, but it is a ceremonial retiring of a worn and no longer usable flag, very much respectful and thoughtful, much different then tearing down a flag and throwing it into the flames to watch it burn.
      I'm Proud to be an American.
      Pro-Choice Before Conception, Pro-Life After.
      A person cannot help what they Feel, only what they Do.
      You will never find proof of a god... because it's Faith

If someone were to burn a British flag then it would show that they dislike Britain and British people. It would symbolise that they seek the destruction of Britain. That offends me.

If someone who does not dislike Britain for whatever reason burns a flag I would not find it offensive.
      I would burn my own flag for five pounds so long as the flag was paid for. I would have no sinister intentions or offensive thoughts towards Britain, so I would not find that it really meant anything.

Burning a flag is only offensive if there are negative intentions for me.

I'm not a nationalist, and I ultimately believe that nationality is unimportant, though I understand that nationality is understandably important to some people and that should be respected. If someone was to burn the Union Flag I would not be bothered; I wouldn't take it as an insult, because I simultaneously see that we're all individuals and we're all human.

Although I agree that a national flag symbolises all the aspects of that country, I don't believe that defacers are saying 'fuck that' to everything about that country, partly because they're highly unlikely to know everything. The only reason someone would sincerely deface a flag with dislike would be the majority of things they associate with that country are bad. For instance, in some ex-British Empire countries, the Union Flag can be an offensive symbol, because all the natives have known from the carriers of that flag is oppression. I'm sure that they would deface the Union Flag because they hate the oppression that they suffered, not because they hate British law, or hate British culture. Why be offended when, looking at the context, it makes sense?

It is unwise to be insulted just because it superficially seems to be a negative gesture towards you. You need to know the background. If it happens that they are actually saying 'fuck that' to the whole country, then they either:
      -Are ignorant to the country's positive aspects.
      or
      -Are correct, and that country doesn't have anything positive about it.

Assuming that the latter is too extreme to be possible, then what do we say of the 1st? Be the better man (and woman, of course ;)) and don't take offence from people who don't know what they're talking about.
      [CENTER]

[RIGHT]Ta-ta
      [/RIGHT]
      [/CENTER]

flags only have as much meaning as u give them so for me burning a us flag is no big deal because i never bought into the whole "symbol of our country" there really just to help us identify different nations there like name-tags
      [I]Any man can have one really bad day and end up just like me HA HA HA[/I]

I believe a flag is something meant to represent a culture and what they stand for.

But even if I disagree with what they stand for, I wouldn't burn their flag. =\

For a million dollars? I wouldn't burn a flag, no matter what flag. Money just isn't that important to me. I may never have a million dollars in the bank, but at least I'll know I earned what I will have with hard work.
      She kept lookin' at her watch (Doesn't matter; had sex)
      But I cried the whole time (Doesn't matter; had sex)
      I think she might've been a racist (Doesn't matter; had sex)
      She put a bag on my head (Still counts)

well no i wouldn't burn an american flag for money because it would show others that im a person who hates america and im not that kind of person and i dont have anything against any country so.

i do think people would find it offensive to have a flag of their country burnt.
      [CENTER][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][SIZE=2]Courage is when you stand up for what's right, even if means being an outcast! [/SIZE][/CENTER]
      [CENTER]
      [SIZE=3]=============[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Well with that paticular question it was about America's flag so it didn't really bother me, i'm sure it would if i was American.
      However if someone burned an English flag i would take it as a big insult. If i was given money to do it i don't know if i would or not that depends i would have to be actually asked in real life and be put on the spot to make a decision. If it was a British flag i wouldn't care though.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIZE="4"]<3[/SIZE][/CENTER]