Why is masturbation such a taboo subject?

• Re: Why is masturbation such a taboo subject?

because the world is full of hipocrites and incult people
      [SIZE=2]'The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and goodwill shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.'[/SIZE]

Yeah, our society is so prudish about this, and about anything sexual, or even natural nudity with no sexual connotation. 96% of all guys (and probably girls too) masturbate, and the other 4% are damned liars.

Dad: Son, stop that or you'll go blind.
      Son: Then can I just do it till I need glasses?

Dad: Son, stop that or you'll go blind.
      Son: I'm over HERE, Dad.

angelafwks wrote:

I've never understood why such a big deal is made about masturbating. And most of my friends do it everyday but just don't like admitting it. I do it most mornings or in the shower and last thing at night, its natural and fun.

exactaly i masturbate almost every day i will admit it i know other people do it and its is not a crime to have fun

MarkS88 wrote:

Think about it....statistics show that every single guy and almost all girls masturbate at some point or another. Most people start around the onset of puberty.

Chances are, everyone you look at masturbates.

So why does society still have such a puritanically outdated outlook on it?

And why are guys and girls held to such a double standard? Everyone views it as normal and accepted for guys to masturbate, but if a girl admits she does it her friends usually respond by calling it gross and calling her desperate.

Thoughts?

Its because of the different religions, actually, most religions are agianst mastrabation, even if all of them do it anyway, lol THATS why its a 'Taboo' subject, and if ur wondering why your friends don't talk about it, do your friends talk to you about having sex? (Don't answer if yes..)
      [CENTER][SIZE=1]If someone is rude to you when you try to befriend them, would you really want to be friends with them anyway? :cool:[/SIZE][/CENTER]

I dont think its a sin
      everyone does it
      EVERYONE has at least done it once in their life
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [/CENTER]
      [CENTER] Cassie: Do you remember when you rode with me in the ambulance after I tried to kill myself?
      Jal
      : Of course.

Cassie
      : That's what love feels like.
      [SIZE=4][SIZE=3]
      ♥
      [/SIZE]
      [/SIZE]
      [SIZE=4]I Love You Dylan[/SIZE][SIZE=4] [SIZE=3]♥[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=1]
      [/SIZE]
      [/CENTER]

From a linguistic point of view, all sexual words are considered inappropriate (not to linguists, but to society). Some words however are used more often, and if a word is used enough it can begin to become more acceptable. [sex] for example used to be unutterable, however nowadays we openly have sex-ed in schools. As masturbation was considered a sin, it acquired a strong shade of black connotation. While sex was religiously acceptable within certain bounds, masturbation was never acceptable, and was discussed less. The more it is discussed the less controversial it becomes.

Most taboo words or topics hark back to religion and religious restrictions. This word has developed more slowly than some, but it is still in use, so it will almost certainly become quite acceptable to use without embarrassment or being looked down upon in the future.
    • xOxiloveyoux7 wrote:

It's in the bible or something that its a sin for a man to spill his seed/ aka masturbate to ejaculation. so people read it literally and take it as that you cant masturbate. but really its normal and natural
      That is referring to the story of Onan. Onan's brother had died and under the tradition of Levirate marriage, Onan was required to provide a child for his dead brothers wife but, if he did so (and the child was a boy), his dead brother's inheritance would go to that child. If his dead brother's wife remained childless, Onan would get the inheritance. So, he pretended to fulfil this duty by having sex with his dead brothers wife but, at the last minute, pulled out and "spilled his seed on the ground". God saw what he did and killed him.

So that Catholics, and some others, have interpreted that as "God hates guys spilling their seed and that was the sin he killed Onan for", except there seems to be nothing else to support that interpretation. Fundamentally, Onan was greedy and allowed that to cause him to abandon a duty under their law at that time and then on top of that he played a trick on those around him to make them think he had tried and failed, rather than having deliberated avoided her having a child. That combination seems much more of a sin to me.

Then the Catholic interpretation seems to be completely out of step with what we know about how the male reproductive system works. From a certain point in puberty guys start producing sperm and it is a continuous process. Although they take a while to mature, once mature they don't last very long. So a guy who is not yet ready to be a dad can't save them up until some future time; they will be wasted, as in die having never been near an egg, whether he ejaculates them or not. Can you really believe God would design our reproductive system that way and then worry about a silly detail like whether we deliberately ejaculated when we weren't intending to father a child?

So my view is don't worry about that, just enjoy masturbating as pretty much everyone else is doing anyway.
    • zano wrote:

Personally I enjoy a good wank.
      Me too.

It's funny that part of the taboo seems to be that we can we can say that we get horny, how we feel like we need to respond to being horny and how we wank because it is a good way to do that, but few people talk about how much fun it is. There have been discussions about who has a harder time of puberty, comparing the negatives for each sex but starting to masturbate is one of the really positive things about puberty.

So it is time to see this in a positive light. Getting horny is not curse that forces you to wank - it's a blessing that gives us the chance to enjoy a good wank and wanking is one of the great pleasures of life.
    • Sean2001 wrote:

Me too.
      It's funny that part of the taboo seems to be that we can we can say that we get horny, how we feel like we need to respond to being horny and how we wank because it is a good way to do that, but few people talk about how much fun it is. There have been discussions about who has a harder time of puberty, comparing the negatives for each sex but starting to masturbate is one of the really positive things about puberty.

So it is time to see this in a positive light. Getting horny is not curse that forces you to wank - it's a blessing that gives us the chance to enjoy a good wank and wanking is one of the great pleasures of life.
      Let's face it, masturbating is probably the most fun you can have by yourself. It's still fun for me