Homophobic Parents?

• Homophobic Parents?

Hi everyone, this is my intro post aswell. :P

Anyway this is just a little rant, you can post your problems with parents like this aswell :). Oh and how are you all?

I've never really thought about being gay but I do have a friend who I think is gay but my parents are always like...

Mum wrote:

If I ever had a child like that he'd live on the streets.

Dad wrote:

The only right they have is the right to die.

Just that kind of thing, I'm not allowed to invite him to parties or go over to his house and he knows if he ever tried anything with me I wouldn't go along or I'd hurt him (in a friendly yet still painful way o.o Nothing suspect.)

My parents are very devout Catholic, and this topic is neither one for bashing homosexuals or religious people but I'm confused with what I should do. He's a very nice person and admittedly up until and for quite some time after I had met him my parents had brainwashed me and I had either ignored or tried to hurt them. My town is very homophobic as a whole, my friend gets death threats and the like from other high school kids.

Anyway I don't know what to do... any suggestions? Any similar problems?
    • Re: Homophobic Parents?

Hey there,

Much respect to your parent's religious beliefs, but your friends are your friends. My mom is also homophobic, but she's not as severe as your parents. She just doesn't like gay people, but I don't really talk to her about that sort of stuff seeing how I know a few gay people in my school and are friends with them. Would you care to talk to them about this issue? Ask them why it is that they think of gay people in such an insulting way. It's a really sticky situation to be in, especially when you have a friend who's gay. As I've stated before, your friends are your friends. Your parents do not choose who you can hang out with, you do. As much as a religious couple they are, they probably need to be more open-minded and they need to be educated about this issue. They're probably homophobic, because they have no knowledge of homosexuality. Until then, I'm afraid that you just have to keep your friend under wraps and don't let your parents know about him until they're ready to accept anything.

Much love,

armyforthebroken
      [CENTER]You bitches are beautiful. :hugs:[/CENTER]

Aww, *feels loved*.

They were brought up this way, so was I. I had no idea my friend was gay until recently...

My parents aren't accepting to other beliefs/races/sexual orientations. Although my community is a very much white, straight, Catholic society so they have no problem fitting in. At any rate I don't think it's my right to change their views, no matter how wrong I think they are that's their decision.

I'd like to just tell them but I'd feel much better telling Mum, Dad is way more extremist. I'm just worried that they won't accept my acceptence... :S.. don't worry that sentence confused me to.

Doughnut is DROP DEAD GORGEOUS.

Just because they're not accepting your beliefs doesn't mean you have to distort your own values to satisfy theirs. If they challenge you, then why can't you challenge them in return? I'm not in any way saying that you have to resort to violence or leaving home, but start standing up for yourself. Use your freedom of expression. Keep your friends and beat your parents' hardheadedness with your own persistence.

If your community doesn't turn out to be as supportive as you hoped, remember that change is not always a bad thing. Now there's a thing called justice for homosexuals when there was none to be found a century ago.
      [CENTER][SIZE=4][/SIZE][SIZE=4]
      [/SIZE]
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [/CENTER]

VanMavus wrote:

My parents aren't accepting to other beliefs/races/sexual orientations. Although my community is a very much white, straight, Catholic society so they have no problem fitting in. At any rate I don't think it's my right to change their views, no matter how wrong I think they are that's their decision.

I'd like to just tell them but I'd feel much better telling Mum, Dad is way more extremist. I'm just worried that they won't accept my acceptence... :S.. don't worry that sentence confused me to.

No need to change their views, just let them see yours. Your personal beliefs are important, too, and they need to understand that. You've accepted what they can't accept, you just have to let them know why.
      [CENTER]You bitches are beautiful. :hugs:[/CENTER]

armyforthebroken wrote:

No need to change their views, just let them see yours. Your personal beliefs are important, too, and they need to understand that. You've accepted what they can't accept, you just have to let them know why.

The only belief that is right to them is the belief of the church.. =/

Anyway thanks for all the help, I might end up telling them. Just not now.

VanMavus wrote:

Hi everyone, this is my intro post aswell. :P

Anyway this is just a little rant, you can post your problems with parents like this aswell :). Oh and how are you all?

Just that kind of thing, I'm not allowed to invite him to parties or go over to his house and he knows if he ever tried anything with me I wouldn't go along or I'd hurt him (in a friendly yet still painful way o.o Nothing suspect.)

My parents are very devout Catholic, and this topic is neither one for bashing homosexuals or religious people but I'm confused with what I should do. He's a very nice person and admittedly up until and for quite some time after I had met him my parents had brainwashed me and I had either ignored or tried to hurt them. My town is very homophobic as a whole, my friend gets death threats and the like from other high school kids.

Anyway I don't know what to do... any suggestions? Any similar problems?

Hey,

If I were you, maybe try and talk to them about this? Your friends are you friends, no matter what sexuality they are - Gay, Bisexual or Straight. What should it matter to your parents, you know? As much as I do respect your parents beliefs, it shouldn't effect you. You, i'm sure, have your beliefs and they have thiers - its your own personal preference of what you believe, whether it be about Santa Clause, Ghosts or sexulality. It's your choice, not thiers.

Keep being a friend with him, by the sounds of things, the more friends he has to support him, the better. If it causes trouble with you're parents - chat to them, or try to and go from there? Maybe not talk to them now about it all, but when you feel ready to?

Good luck.

Support Leader,
      SimpleGirl*

I am not homosexual BUT my parents are indeed too very homophobic. It bugs ME because when I see a person, I see a person......I don't exactly 'love everyone' but I give everyone a chance to let them let me find out who/what they are as I just love picking the mind :P
      Anyway...my parents aren't too friendly towards homosexuals and literally call it a disease. So I guess I can relate to you on that matter.....But you know the saying "you can't teach an old dog new tricks"...may be the case. You need to remember they they are practically from a different world. Grew up with different values and different beliefs....If I were you, (judging from the quotes you provided) I would keep them in the dark. Not only to protect your self but to protect them. Not that there is anything WRONG with you but because u may pull the vital block from their "jenga-like" built world. But that doesnt mean you should not enjoy your self :P
      I say make the judgment, no one here knows your parents better than you do. They just maybe a little pissed at first...but eventually grow to accept who you are, and that is their child

Hope this helps
      O.o

The post was edited 1 time, last by DeamonD: typos XD ().

DeamonD wrote:

literally call it a disease

Heard that one before...

DeamonD wrote:

You need to remember they they are practically from a different world. Grew up with different values and different beliefs....

I hope my beliefs and values aren't instilled in me 40 years down the track... we're the one animal capable of changing our actions by choice (rather then evolution) and yet we continue this crap until it ends in war.

DeamonD wrote:

Hope this helps
      O.o

It did, thankyou :).

Your parents view on homosexuals is unacceptable.
      I think you know this.
      Bottom line you have to accept people for who they are.
      people like them are the reason society is so fucked up.
      Who are your parents to judge anyone?
      In bible it clearly states you are no better than any other man alive.
      They are your parents I know you love them.
      but that kind intolerance is wrong.
      My parents won't bumpheads with me when it comes to things like this.
      I'm not saying I think gay is ok.
      But nobody is really sure what causes people to be gay.
      I'm not going to ridicule something I don't fully understand.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]