My parents are splitting up :|

• My parents are splitting up :|

Well for the past few years, my parents havn't really been in love. They did promise though that no matter what happened, they'd stay with me. Today that promise was broken. Dad came home today and had a private chat with my Mom. I thougth nothing of it because they always have private chats about stuff which doesn't concern me. Then Dad called me downstairs and told me he was leaving. He was going to live with one of his Canadian friends. I thought she was just a friend and one that he'd seen when some of them came over to the UK once. It turns out that she is more than a friend and that she isn't one of the ones Dad saw before. So basically he's leaving home to live in a house nearby with a woman he's never even met. Dad asked if I wanted to see the house but really I'm too angry to see it. If it wasn't for me, he would have moved to Canada but he couldn't do something that shocking. I asked Mom afterwards and she said she begged Dad to keep it a secret until after Christmas but he said no. I have like nothing to be excited for because I know my Dad won't be at my Nan's for Christmas or at my Aunt's for Boxing Day. This woman flew over here today. They're probably settling into their new house right now. I really don't know how I should be reacting. help? xx
    • Re: My parents are splitting up :|

Hey,

I know how you feel, because my parents split up when I was pretty young. I was about 8 years old when it happened and I remember how it went down. My dad came home and my mom and him had a fight, verbal and physical. I remember crying and I remember my dad telling me that he'll always be with me, and then I remember him packing up his bags, and then he left for the door. I was in tears, because I thought everything will always be good and that I'll have both my parents together. It didn't quite work out that way, but I still keep in touch with my dad although both my parents cannot stand each other. Sometimes, divorce is for the best if your parents aren't getting along really well. It's not fair that they didn't consult you about it either, but maybe if you sat down with each one of them individually, got to know their situation, you might learn about it and you might understand. Your dad is a grown man, so he has to do what he has to do. As long as he talks to you often and as long as he's a support system for you, then things won't be so bad after all. However, to answer your question: Your reaction was a little bit unfair. Don't automatically assume the worst, try to talk to your dad about it if it's bothering you.

Hope this helped!
      Support Leader,

armyforthebroken
      [CENTER]You bitches are beautiful. :hugs:[/CENTER]

hmmm
      thanks for the help

I'm just in shock right now. I made a list of pros and cons of dad leaving. pros were 50, cons were 4.
      I know it's better in the long run that dad's not here.
      I love him to bits he's just a bit irritating to live with.
      The house is getting tidier already though with dad clearing his crap.
      It's 2.17am and I decided to sleep downstairs with my laptop on the table that my dad finally gave me back.
      Mom couldn't stop worrying so now she's on the sofa opposite me with a book in her hand :)

wispaaaaa wrote:

hmmm
      thanks for the help

I'm just in shock right now. I made a list of pros and cons of dad leaving. pros were 50, cons were 4.
      I know it's better in the long run that dad's not here.
      I love him to bits he's just a bit irritating to live with.
      The house is getting tidier already though with dad clearing his crap.
      It's 2.17am and I decided to sleep downstairs with my laptop on the table that my dad finally gave me back.
      Mom couldn't stop worrying so now she's on the sofa opposite me with a book in her hand :)

Hey Wispa,

I read your original post, too. And, I think how you are reacting right now, is perfectly normal and your own personal way to a sad situation. No one wants to see a parent leave thier other, it's heartbreaking and sad - unfortunately though, it happens. It's happend to me, and I can relate to how you're feeling.

It adds insult to injury for really bad things to happen this time of year. But, the best you can do is look forward, and not back. Your dad is still your dad, and always will be, that will never change. You and your mum sound strong, and close, and thats brilliant. Keep your head up and try to enjoy your Christmas. As for your dad leaving your mum; it's sad, but the list you made said everything - maybe it is for the best? Maybe you don't want to see it that way now, and that's expected. Give yourself some time to digest whats going on, and soon, you will accept whats going on and try to work with it best you can.

Good luck, Merry Christmas :)

Support Leader,
      SimpleGirl*

I fear I will share the inevitable and similar experience very soon.

But...no one here can tell you how to react.
      And judging from your initial reaction you will be 100% fine. I am not one-bit worried about you. I am actually a little proud of you because you did not freak out.
      Of course this will take a little adjustment but it will work out in the end. ;)

Divorces are so common these days it's not funny. But these things happen. My parents broke up when I was 13, and yes it was just before Christmas, I think it happens this time of year because people realise that they want to move on the next year. You can feel bad, but don't be angry at your parents neither your mum or dad. The thing is, your parents don't sound like the hate each other and they both love you very much so you'll find it won't be so bad, you'll probs all get along in future. Now, I actually enjoy living with just my mum because it simpler and she's a lot happier and when dad comes up to visit there no work or anything in the way and end up spending more time together.

You have every right to feel sad, and you probably just wanted to talk to about it, so I hope this made you feel a bit better :o You should be there to support your parents too, there going through I really hard time, you probably can't imagine how they feel. Remember it isn't anybodies fault.

You'll find you'll move on, and life will continue.

Support leader
      Maddi
      [CENTER]Maddi Love's Ryan
      >> teensuite.net <<
      [/CENTER]

Thanks for the herlp and support everyone, it really mean a lot to me that I have somebody to help out, wether I know them or not.

Dad said he would have left years ago if it wasn't for me because Mom and Dad were like friends in the same house. They said I could shout and swear at them but I just thought there's no point in making the situation worse.

Saturday I was depressed and crying and pissed off completly.
      Sunday I cried, then was thinking of happy stuff, got pissed off, then got happy.
      Monday I was thinking of the happy side, got a bit teary but I was ok. I then decided to o over to Dad's house. It turns out that his girlfriend is really nice and I feel like I understand Dad's decision a bit more now.
      Today I feel happy, relieved and a lot better. I won't be arguing as much with Dad and I get to spend more time with Mom. Now I've took the laptop downstairs, I have it on all day but I still manage to chat and communicate with Mom. We also went shopping to get me a new top and a few things to make a Christmas/Boxing Day outfit. My Mom knew I'd want an outfit, I swear she's physcic XD

That's rough and I'm sooo sorry.
      I say you're reactting pretty well.
      you have all right to be angry, but eventually the shock I guess you could say will set in and maybe you'll get upset maybe not, I don't know you so yeah it really depends on you.

so, I think after you cool down you should talk to your dad about all this, tell him that you're angry and why.

hope I helped. good luck! :]
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [/CENTER]
      [CENTER][SIZE=3]I[/SIZE][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][SIZE=3]am....[/SIZE][/CENTER]
      [CENTER]RockMeBaby<3[/CENTER]

I'm in the same boat as you... My parents have been married for 18 years and were the perfect couple. They're splitting up for my mom's health issues mainly and lack of energy wanting to do anything ever etc. Going to Christmas with my grandparents without her was weird... You'll get through it, if you need anything just message me. :)

everything has been much much MUCH better
      i explained how i was feeling to mum and she understands it all
      the only thing is that mom doesnt get how im nice to dad
      im afraid to chat to the guy whos fault it is
      but mum hasnt done anything wrong and i stupidly take it out on her
      we made up though
      but i just cant tell dad how angry i am because i've been acting fine for about a week now