My problems aren't 'big enough'

• My problems aren't 'big enough'

...for anyone to care.

Okay, basically what my problem is, is that I always listen and try to help my friends when they have problems, but when I try to talk about mine, they keep spitting about their own. What usually happens is that, I'll listen to what's up with them until they're done and try to give advice. Then I'll start talking about my own issues. That's where things start to go downhill.
      Whenever I talk about what's wrong with me, they start by saying, "I know how you feel..." and then they start talking about themselves again. This irritates me, but I try not to bring attention to it and just change the subject back ... but then they start COMPARING our problems, basically saying (indirectly), "Shut up and let me talk, my problems are bigger than yours, so yours aren't worth hearing about."

But then nothing in my life gets resolved.
      Now, recently I've been having a lot more trouble than usual, so I've really been trying to talk to my friend about this. The pattern goes as stated above, but then she starts talking about how she handles her problems expertly, which is about as far from the truth as possible. -____-;;

She always talks about how she's so great at arguing, and how she really gets her point across with a cool head and changes things, so they're taken care of. I've witnessed her arguments many, many times, and it's kind of the opposite. She usually just ends up exploding, swearing at her mom, her brother, or whoever she was talking to, and storming off crying and breaking things. Then, she calls me to ask how to fix everything.

And she wants me to argue with my dad, the source of most of my family problems. She think's that'll take care of things. My dad? Most stubborn, unshakeable, and unreasonable man on the planet.
      I have TRIED talking to my family about problems I have with them, and if anything they just get worse.

I'm just so sick of getting a raw deal with my friends like this! I mean, I don't want to cut ties with them completely, I've known and loved them for such a long time, I just wish all this crap would go away!
      My friend didn't used to be so angry, especially towards me. But now, I'm starting to get snappy to her, too, and I don't want to lose her. I just absolutely cannot be around her when she's always talking so highly of herself and won't believe a thing I say.

I've tried telling her about her attitude, and how it's really hurting me. You know what she said?
      "Believe what you want."
      [SIZE=1][SIZE=2]S i m u l a t i o n: M e + H i m[/SIZE]
      :hugs:
      [/SIZE][SIZE=1][/SIZE]
    • Re: My problems aren't 'big enough'

Looks like you need a new friend, if the ones you currently have won't help you through your problems.
      But I would start acting like them and see their reaction through, if they start talking about their problems to you and expect advice, just say "I know how you feel.." and start talking about your own. They will probably get annoyed by that, but just tell them that's how they act and hopefully they will stop.
      [CENTER][LEFT][SIZE=1]Oh the lights still on, we're dancing[/SIZE]
      [/LEFT]
      [SIZE=1] Yeah the floor is shaking[/SIZE]
      [RIGHT][SIZE=1] In this disco heaven[/SIZE]
      [/RIGHT]
      [SIZE=1]
      [/SIZE][/CENTER]

Well your friends are trying to "connect to you" when they compare problems. Do you tell them that you want to ask for advice? If you get quiet really fast when they start talking and don't try to interupt them, they assume you are interested and continue.

As for you father...oh man I feel you, mine isn't the ray of sunshine either and I am afraid "talking" or arguing with him will be pointless (assuming he is as bad as mine).

And as for your friend...dump her. She is too full of her self and she will only drag you down.
      The King of Mind-Fuck

Well, I just want to start off by saying that *no one* has the right to tell you that your problems aren't big enough or aren't serious enough. We can only determine the severity of our problems according to our past experiences. Allow me to explain. If your dog died, it might have a different effect on you in comparison to your friend if she lost her dog.. Putting aside how close you two were with the dogs, there are experiences in our lives that shape who were are and how we deal with things in the future.

If your friend had lost her grandmother in the past whereas you have never lost someone or something close to you, who do you think this death will affect more? It will definitely affect you more. Why? Because you've never experienced losing someone or something close to you whereas your friend had to deal with the loss of her grandmother. Does that make any sense? Anyway, what I was trying to say is that no one can tell you that your problems are not severe or serious because they have no right to judge.

How to deal with your current situation? Friendships can be really difficult to deal with, can't they? -Especially during your teenage years. All you can do is talk to your friend about the way you're feeling. Now, it seems like you have spoken to her and have received a negative response from her. That's unfortunate but you cannot change the way people are. Yes, you may have been close and loved her for a long time but unfortunately, people change - and not always for the best.

It seems like your friend is going through a lot at home and everything, which could definitely contribute to the behaviour that she's displaying with you. There is a reason as to why people do what they do. Perhaps her parents make it seem like her problems are not important and compare her problems to their own, which is inevitably much more serious as they are adults. Therefore, she models the same behaviour with you. I'm not saying this is an explanation regarding her behaviour but it is a possibility.

Have you spoken to anyone else about what's going on with you? I understand that you don't feel comfortable talking to your parents about it and that's okay - there are other people that you can go to. Have you ever considered talking to a teacher or guidance counselor about what's going on with you and perhaps, you can touch on what's going on with your friend? Remember, you can talk to anyone that you trust and feel comfortable talking to. I would really recommend that you talk to *someone* about what's going on. It could help a lot.

I don't think that you should just drop your friend and end your friendship. I do not think that is the right thing to do. It seems like you and your friend are both going through a rough time and are not able to cope on your own, which is normal. You are not expected to cope with these kinds of things on your own. Perhaps you can try to encourage your friend to talk to someone about the way she's feeling - maybe a teacher or guidance counselor as well. I really hope that everything works out with the two of you. Good luck with everything.

Take care of yourself.

Some people are just arrogant self centered bitches, like me.

You can't really change those people unless they want to change. The thing about personal relationships is that you can either deal with someone or you can't, people change over time and they may no longer be the people you loved and cared about for all these years. Some people will bend and put up with the new person even if they don't really like the new person simply because of the past but I'm a realist, if you've decided to change your attitude and you aren't compatible with me anymore...well...you aren't.

It's a shame to hear that your friend is too self centered to be your confident, that she will use you to help her out through her problems but doesn't have the patience to do the same. Then again, you see how she handles her problems so why are you asking her in the first place?

She is your friend for a long time and perhaps a lot of your anger issues towards her are because she can't be the friend you want. I suggest finding someone else to be your confident, someone else you can trust and who can help YOU out. Just because you have the ability to help someone out, doesn't mean they have the same ability to help YOU out and at the same time just because this girl can't help you in the way you need, doesn't mean she isn't the friend you've shared so many memories with.

We all have our skills and not everyone can fill the roles we may wish they could. That is why we need more then a single companion in our life.
      Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind. ~Immanuel Kant, Critique of Pure Reason
      [CENTER]The greatest thing you'll ever learn
      Is just to Love
      And be Loved in return
      [/CENTER]

Thank you everyone for your advice, and for simply reading, but there is one thing I want to make clear - my friend usually isn't like this. She's usually very sweet, and a really good friend. It's just that, in this case, I don't think she realizes how she's acting, and I just don't know how to wake her up to that.

She has problems at home, big ones, which is why she explodes at her family. I just don't think that any amount of problems she has gives her the right to say that that's handling things smoothly.

Oh, and DeaExMachina, it isn't exactly advice that I go to her for so much as solace and comfort...
      [SIZE=1][SIZE=2]S i m u l a t i o n: M e + H i m[/SIZE]
      :hugs:
      [/SIZE][SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Of course she doesn't have the right to behave in the way that she is. She needs help; this isn't something that she can handle on her own. If she continues to attempt to take all of this on without seeking adult support, she could end up completely ruining your friendship and perhaps a lot worse...Try to talk to her about it and encourage her to talk to someone that she trusts about what's going on. Just remember, you can't help someone who doesn't want to help themselves. I think it's really important that you understand that. If she doesn't want to seek help herself, continue to be there for her and everything but also, take the initiative to seek help for her. Perhaps you can try talking to a teacher, guidance counselor, neighbour, etc. - basically, anyone that you trust. Good luck with everything.

Take care.

Sometimes it takes a firm hand to make her wake up and realize everything else that's going on. At this point, her own problems are probably the biggest thing in her life, and as much as it's unreasonable, yours don't mean anything. Some people can multitask, others can't handle it. If she's not usually like this, then you should give her some time to sort herself out. For the time being, confide in other friends, a forum, or a teenage hotline. There's really nothing much you can do if you've tried talking to her and all she responds with is "Believe what you want". I've had people say it to me, and it's damn outright infuriating. It's not what you believe, it's fact. Right? As time goes on and she learns from her mistakes, eventually she'll also learn to open her mind wide enough to allow other people's problems in.

Not everyone is like that, so the one thing you can do is just to find more friends. Don't drop her if you feel she's been a good friend, just extend your social circle. Meanwhile, you can start growing to be more independent on your own.

Suppot Leader,
      Kase~
      [CENTER][SIZE=4][/SIZE][SIZE=4]
      [/SIZE]
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [/CENTER]

Maybe you need to not talk to her about your problems?
      I mean, I love all my friends, but if I need something from a friend, and one doesn't have the ability to help, then I may be able to rely on another one.
      If you don't have someone like that, make a friend that you can?
      [CENTER]R.I.P Captain Jack Sparrow, 13/3/09[/CENTER]
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [/CENTER]
      [CENTER]You did it, beautiful.<3[/CENTER]
      formspring.me/Asperitas <- Don't be a fgt. It makes you look bad.
      [RIGHT]omygaga.tumblr.com/ <-Blog of godlike proportions.
      [/RIGHT]