Common Misconceptions About Homosexuality.

• Re: Common Misconceptions About Homosexuality.

gay guys listen to britney spears, madonna, and c. aguilera,
      and rave music
      [SIZE=2]'The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and goodwill shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.'[/SIZE]

i meant that as a misconception i heard.
      i have known gay guys who are metalheads, and thats weird to find.
      [SIZE=2]'The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and goodwill shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.'[/SIZE]

HAH! i've heard these:

1. We are posessed(spellcheck?) by the devil
      2. we cant be trusted with young kids, because they are too impressionable and we'll turn them gay.
      3. We are sick, and need to be cured.
      4. We are arrogant.
      5. Its a lifestyle CHOICE.

yes. gay is a choice. just like cancer is.
      [SIZE=2]For if we are not within ourselves; We are without.
      -Chris Crocker

[/SIZE]

The post was edited 1 time, last by Paramore1264: Screwed up the numbering ().

yeh JC- cant you trace where the -reps are coming from?

i got one as well.. some people need to stay out of the Gay Les Bi section if they cant handle us =D
      [CENTER]We Are Living Orwell's Nightmare:[/CENTER]
      [CENTER]Come One, Come All, To Nineteen Eighty Four: Three, Two, One, Lights, Camera, Transaction.[/CENTER]

Oh oh, im going to add some more:

"We want to fuck every guy we meet"

"99% of us are designers"

heres one that i dont even get.

"if your ring finger and index finger are the same size, your gay"

As you can see, all of these are Complete and utter bull-shit.

Buttt, there ARE some people that actually believe this.
      Lol.
      [SIZE=2]For if we are not within ourselves; We are without.
      -Chris Crocker

[/SIZE]

nobody. wrote:

and rave music

I love rave music, so not entirely a misconception.

adamEcstacy wrote:

I don't listen to those. the "gayest" music I've listened to is Lady GaGa. :/

See above.

nobody. wrote:

i meant that as a misconception i heard.
      i have known gay guys who are metalheads, and thats weird to find.

See above.

dh226 wrote:

that every gay guy is a promiscuous slut.
      thats what my mom told me (before she knew i was gay)
      :(

You're mum is a smart woman! ;) haha!
      Nah. There are just as many gay sluts as there are straight sluts, trust me, I know.

Misconceptions I have noticed are;

- All gay guys enjoy being butt secksed.
      - All gay guys had no father in their life when they were growing up.
      - Two gay men will raise a gay child (because two hetero parents can only raise a straight child).
      - Gay men are paedophiles
      - Gay men will have sex with any living man, as long as he has an arsehole and/or huge cock
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      Australian | 20 | University Student | Epic
      [LEFT]
      (818): dude you made out with his girlfriend and stole his credit card to buy more drinks.
      (626):
      well when you put it like that, I sound like a terrible person.

[/LEFT]
      [/CENTER]

MYTHS
      1. all gay people are atheists
      2. gay men like to shop
      3. lesbian women are tough and assertive
      4. gay men dress well
      5. lesbian women are all good at sports
      6. gay men are connoisseurs
      7. lesbian women are all environmentalists
      8. gay men are never loyal in relationships
      9. lesbian women have short hair
      10. all gay people are smart

FACTS
      1. Most of my gay friends are religious.
      2. The most un-materialistic friend I have is gay.
      3. The daughter of one of my teachers is lesbian and one of the shyest people I've ever met.
      4. One of my gay friends and other gay people whom I've heard of just throw on whatever is clean in the mornings.
      5. I have known and heard of lesbian women who aren't the type.
      6. One gay man I know eats storebought dessert all the time and thinks it's great.
      7. I can't think of *specific* examples for this at the moment, although I think I have come across a few in the past.
      8. I have gay teachers and gay adult friends who have wonderful longterm relationships.
      9. Schoolmates, friends, teachers... I have known many lesbian girls and women with long hair! Not to mention celebrities
      10. Well I know this can't be true... but right now I can't think of an example of why not :) --which is a little funny since so many people say 'gay' when they mean 'stupid.' X(

ps--@ runner: I see your point, but in my experience 'disorder' always has a negative connotation. And I think that according to my biology book a 'disorder' is something that hinders someone's health or wellness. Homosexuality hinders motivation to procreate.... which is unfortunate for gay people who want to have children naturally with the one they love, and slowing to human population growth (which in moderation actually is a good thing)--but otherwise harmless.

But I see your point and I have often thought through this same matter myself.
      [FONT="Garamond"]
      [SIZE="4"]I will compose until I decompose. :p[/SIZE]
      [/FONT]

My religion doesn't have gods, but philosophers.
      I like shopping.
      I'm always worried about the clothes I choose, unless I'm grumpy and/or late to the bus.
      I like art and fine cuisine, but ehh, normal stuff is all I have time for...
      I've never really been in a relationship, so idk. But I'm a loyal person, so...
      I'm smart. 4.0gpa for lifeeee. Ok, maybe not last semester, i don't know. i think gay asians are the exception to that myth. S:

does that make me a bad person? ahaaaa. ._.
      [CENTER]i found jesus
      [SIZE=1]...
      in a gay bar.
      [/SIZE]
      [/CENTER]

musicgeek#23 wrote:

MYTHS
      1. all gay people are atheists
      2. gay men like to shop
      3. lesbian women are tough and assertive
      4. gay men dress well
      5. lesbian women are all good at sports
      6. gay men are connoisseurs
      7. lesbian women are all environmentalists
      8. gay men are never loyal in relationships
      9. lesbian women have short hair
      10. all gay people are smart

I am 2, 4, 6, and half of 10. :) haha.
      There are always exceptions to the rules/myth/whatever.

adamEcstacy wrote:

My religion doesn't have gods, but philosophers.
      I like shopping.
      I'm always worried about the clothes I choose, unless I'm grumpy and/or late to the bus.
      I like art and fine cuisine, but ehh, normal stuff is all I have time for...
      I've never really been in a relationship, so idk. But I'm a loyal person, so...
      I'm smart. 4.0gpa for lifeeee. Ok, maybe not last semester, i don't know. i think gay asians are the exception to that myth. S:

does that make me a bad person? ahaaaa. ._.

It makes you the most stereotypical gay ever.
      hahahaha!
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      Australian | 20 | University Student | Epic
      [LEFT]
      (818): dude you made out with his girlfriend and stole his credit card to buy more drinks.
      (626):
      well when you put it like that, I sound like a terrible person.

[/LEFT]
      [/CENTER]

runner wrote:

when people deny and are even offended by the idea that homosexuality is a disorder. These are people who think they are helping the gay cause by having opinions that they think sound good but haven't really thought about.
      The most important instinct next to survival is reproduction. A complete reversal of that instinct which makes it biologically useless is clearly a disorder.

No I'm not saying gays are bad, that is like saying anyone with a mental disorder is bad. And by denying that it is a disorder, people are basically saying it is a choice, which is certainly not true.

Is it because people want to deny that gays are imperfect like everyone else? Or do those people not realize that people with disorders of some kind (which is pretty much everyone) can still be good people? And that disorders don't necessarily have to be harmful?

If it helps my credibility at all, I am gay and my dad is a Psychiatrist.

I think that thinking of homosexuality as a disorder is only a hindrance to our cause. I'm not sure about this but I think it was only 2-3 decades ago that being gay stopped being a disorder.

Today, basically as I type, there is a bill being presented to the legislature that if passed will give LGBT people many more rights in Washington. I'll be praying (yes, im religious) from now until June that it is passed.

Anyway,
      I think the stereotypes I run into are:

Homosexuality is contagious
      One guy commenting another makes him a fag
      All gay people are promiscuous

This goes with the "Gay guys want to sleep with every guy with a pulse" one.

My grade went on a camping trip kind of thing a few years back, and my gay best friend was stuck in a cabin with this super homophobic kid. The kid was like: "OH NO! I'm in a cabin with HIM! I'm going to get raped in my sleep, I just know it!"

Totally pissed me off. <_<
      [COLOR="Silver"][FONT="Arial Narrow"][SIZE="2"]Back me down from backing up
      Hold your breath, now, it's s t a c k i n g up!
      Etched with marks, but I can deal
      And you're the p r o b l e m, and you can't feel.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]