Telling Parentals.

• Telling Parentals.

Well, my names kyle and im gay. Im going to tell my parents soon, and i have a few questions. but before that, id like you to know a few things. Im not really scared about their reaction, because they've asked me if i was gay before, and they told me it diddnt matter. but, stupid as i was, i said no, because if i would have said yes, they would keep bugging me to tell everybody, and i wasnt ready at that point to do that. Now i am.

Okay question time.

A. Id like to tell them in a funny way, because thats how i am, and thats what they would expect. should i? or should it be a more serious conversation?

B. Im out to my best friend sarah, and i told her id want her there for me. is that acceptable? or should it be a FAMILY ONLY type deal?

C. Im not worried about their reaction, like ive stated before. but i AM about the akward-ness. any suggestions on how to like, Kill that?

The post was edited 1 time, last by K-tothe-yle. ().

• Re: Telling Parentals.

A) Um, I'd suggest that you do it in any way that you feel comfortable doing it. I think that it's very important. However, I don't know if joking about it is a good way because then they might not take you seriously, and that won't be fun. Ultimately, do what you feel is best for you. Don't do anything that you don't feel comfortable doing.

B) No. It's great that you have your best friend on board. This does not have to be a family thing only. In fact, I'd encourage you to get additional friends on board because the more support that you have, the better. I think you did a wonderful thing here. Good for you. Look to her if you ever need support regarding any of this. It's nice to see that you have such a good relationship with her.

C) This kind of situation might be a bit awkward, despite whether you want it to be or not. It all depends on how your parents are. Parents are all different and will therefore react differently than others. This isn't really something that you can plan for because you don't know what's going to happen. My advice would be just to go out and tell them. Then, take the conversation as it comes; just go with the flow.

Good luck with everything. Take care.

A: i think you will know best. How you present who you really are to your parents and their reaction is known only to you.

B: Hmmm.....I think it is best if you go at it alone. Depending on how well they know Sarah, they might feel uncomfortable around her and feel "trapped" by not being able to let out their true feelings and that will make them angry. If you go face-to-face, at least you will get an honest response and they can be themselves around you.

C: Hm..honestly I do not know what you mean about awkwardness. Perhaps just act....normal as you do everyday. As long as you don't "change" in what you do and how you are, I do not think there will be any discomfort (again, depending on your parents). People are just afraid of change.....which I do not think will be a problem because they just might be expecting you to "come out" since they already asked you about this before.

Hope that helps
      O.o
      The King of Mind-Fuck

not really. I screamed it to my parents. just say it, do it in a way that makes you feel comfortable. you've already shown acceptance, this isnt about them, this is about you. do what YOU have to do to feel comfortable and unafraid. want a friend there? have a friend there. just do it for yourself.
      [SIZE=2]Gay and looking for a friend? Hell, any sexuality is welcome. PM ME FRIENDS VERY WELCOME! hehe[/SIZE]

Reliving life as I should. :)

Good advice from above commentators, I think.

A - yeah, if you feel most comfortable being funny about it, go ahead. You could look up coming-out vids on youtube or look up coming out stories on the net to get ideas. Or you could come up with something yourself that's clever. (Maybe don't overblow it, but nothing wrong with giving your parents a laugh.) And then if you sense that your parents aren't taking you seriously, or they ask you if you're really serious, just let them know you are--you could say, "Actually, it's true," or "Yes, I am being serious," ... or whatever you want. (Those were just suggestions in case you were out of ideas. As are pretty much all the things in this post. Take them or leave them; they're just there for you in case you can't think of what to say.)

B - Agreed with DeamonD. If your parents are still new to Sarah and a little awkward around her, probably don't have her there. But if it makes you feel more comfortable and less awkward with her at your back, bring her along. And of course, if they know her well and like her a lot, why not have her there to share in the moment?

C - Haha. I know what you mean, I think. What doesn't have to happen is that you smile at them, and then they smile back, and you nod and go your separate ways and then come back together at dinnertime still smiling and wondering what on earth to talk about. No. Instead, you could do a variety of things. Maybe you could continue talking with them once you've told them. You might say something like, "Hey, thank you guys for being so accepting... oh, and can I tell you all about my crushes now?" (and proceed to tell them all about your crushes [if you have any at the moment]). Or--if this applies--you could say, "Wanna know when I knew?" and tell them about "when you knew" (although, not everyone has a so-called "when I knew" moment, so this might not work), or you could ask what things made them curious enough to ask you about your sexuality in the past, and then have an interesting convo about that. You could go political, or deep and contemplative, or humorous with this...

No worries. However you do it, just be yourself. Be happy don't worry and you'll do fine. Congrats on being ready :)
      [FONT="Garamond"]
      [SIZE="4"]I will compose until I decompose. :p[/SIZE]
      [/FONT]

The post was edited 1 time, last by musicgeek#23 ().