Shoegaze

• Shoegaze do you... 6
        Heard it, and like it? (3) 50%
        Heard it, and don't like it. (1) 17%
        Don't know it, but will listen. (1) 17%
        Don't know it, but won't listen. (1) 17%
      So I love shoegaze, it's the greatest genre ever to me. And I was wondering how many others have heard it, like it, whatever. If you haven't heard it and want to see what it's like I'll post some videos below.

The British music press (notably NME and Melody Maker) called this genre "shoegazing" because the musicians in these bands often maintained a motionless performing style in concert, standing on stage and staring at their effects pedals or the floor while playing their instruments; hence, the idea that they were gazing at their shoes.

Common musical elements in shoegaze are distortion, droning riffs and a "wall of sound" from noisy guitars. Typically, two distorted rhythm guitars are played together to give an amorphous quality to the sound. Although lead guitar riffs were often present, they were not the central focus of most shoegazing songs.

Vocals are typically subdued in volume and tone, but underneath the layers of guitars is generally a strong sense of melody. However, lyrics are not emphasized; vocals are often treated as an additional instrument. While the genres which influenced shoegazing often used drum machines, shoegazing more often features live drumming.

My Bloody Valentine - Soon
      [ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=N5kKzRuPyO0]YouTube - My Bloody Valentine - Soon[/ame]

Slowdive - When The Sun Hits
      [ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=MF96gNl7O5A]YouTube - slowdive- when the sun hits[/ame]

Fleeting Joys - Lovely Crawl
      [ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=ymixDJ3jWcQ]YouTube - Fleeting Joys - Lovely Crawl[/ame]

Lush - Nothing Natural
      [ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=Wt6Ubq0gL_w]YouTube - Lush - Nothing Natural Video[/ame]
      [COLOR="Plum"][FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="4"]Shoegazer...[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    • Re: Shoegaze

DeLarge wrote:

Shoegazing is old. Look at The Verve mate.

Old =/= bad, I like plenty of new music anyway like Downtempo and IDM.

I don't like the Verve, their first album looking at youtube had some shoegazing tracks but also some non-shoegazing ones like Blue, but any work after their first album is poopy britpop, which was a sad turn for a few shoegazing bands like Lush and Boo Radleys. Their shoegazing tracks on youtube seem okay but then the ones that aren't aren't shoegaze. :|

The post was edited 5 times, last by Dezer ().

leave it to you to make this thread bro.
      i personally dont disliek the genre but find pretentious people like you to be poorly representitive of what it is really about.
      in other threads i have observed u relentlessly bashing other's tastes in music just because you think you are intellectual enough to appreciate the jumbled mess that is 'shoegaze.'
      now ive seen mbv live and it was one of the greatest shows of my life, but lemme tell you, if i knew what you looked like and i saw you there i would get your ass kicked.
      [CENTER][FONT="Garamond"]This is the part of me that needs medication
      This is the part of me that believes in heaven[/FONT][/CENTER]

xxjulyxx wrote:

leave it to you to make this thread bro.
      i personally dont disliek the genre but find pretentious people like you to be poorly representitive of what it is really about.
      in other threads i have observed u relentlessly bashing other's tastes in music just because you think you are intellectual enough to appreciate the jumbled mess that is 'shoegaze.'
      now ive seen mbv live and it was one of the greatest shows of my life, but lemme tell you, if i knew what you looked like and i saw you there i would get your ass kicked.

Good morning, troll.

Esmo wrote:

Liked the first one, didn't like the second two, sorta liked the fourth. I think I might give the genre as a whole a thumbs up though, the first was impressive, and you seem to hold My Bloody Valentine in the highest esteem anyway.

Yes, MBV are the most known shoegaze band, and for a bloody good reason. They're the best one.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Dezer ().