Sadness... A friend of mine has decided to...

• Sadness... A friend of mine has decided to...

So I talked to an old close friend of mine the other day.. to find out she is joining the marines... While I want her to do what she feels best is it selfish to say I don't want her to because I don't want to see her shipped off to some foreign country to get blown up? I mean I know it is a "good thing to do" and honorable and all that but still... And while it is her life and I cannot inflict my opinions on her I personally disagree with jinng the armed forces because I am against the war. Don't misconstrue this. I SUPPORT our troops but personally will not join the armed forces for a myriad of reasons, but one of them being I do not support the war and therefor will not add to it by giving the government another body to ship overseas to participate in a war I don't support. While I suport our troops and all I don't see the point in adding to the number of troops that get sent to fight this war.... If that makes any sense.... But I also won't join the armed forces for the whole don't ask don't tell bit, and my pacifist views..... So on a conscious level I really am not sure I am too fond of seeing my friend go add to the number of troops fighting a war I, and I know she doesnt support..... I am sorry if this offends anyone and please don't attack me for my opinions..... But its not just my views, it is I don't want to attend her funeral, and I don't want to miss her because I havent spent time with her in a year because we live 5 states away. And I am movin back to Philly, and was excited to be closer to her... Now our time together is limited.....

I don't know... Maybe I am just selfish.... But I am upset about this.....
      [SIZE=4]"Penguins. Lovely." - Edward in Eclipse

Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer. You know you want to read it.
      [/SIZE]
      [SIZE=5][SIZE=2]
      [/SIZE][/SIZE]
    • Re: Sadness... A friend of mine has decided to...

You have every right to be upset. I know, trust me. Because I'm joining SWAT and everyone is mad at me because they think I am thinking of myself. But you know it is my life. I want to look back and have something to be proud about. I know how you feel. Half of my friends and family are in the army. But if you are a good friend then you will understand that joining it is what they want even when in the back of your mind it hurts and kills you.

it's quite normal for you to feel like that. have you told her you were coming closer to her? maybe she's going there because she feels like nothing is making her stay.. try to talk to her and see what her objectives are.. maybe she doesn't really want to go, she just wanted to escape reality.

Have you asked her why she goes there? Maybe you should listen to her reason. But i can understand you very well. I think i would feel the same if one of my friends would do that. But actually such things are different in my country, the 'danger' is not so big that one of my friends would decide that. Anyway, ask her about her reasons, maybe it opens some kind of possibility to talk on about this topic.
      [CENTER]NOBODY EVER ASKED ME [SIZE=5]IF [/SIZE]I WANT TO LIVE,
      SO LET ME AT LEAST LIVE [SIZE=5]HOW [/SIZE]I WANT TO.

[/CENTER]

I agree with the fact that I don't support the war, but it's great that you're supporting your friend. Like SuperXEmoNinja said (I'm sorry dear I forget your name), if you support her but you don't agree with what she's doing, you're the best friend someone could ask for.
      [CENTER]. : Hard Work Pays Off in the Long Run. Laziness Pays Off NOW : .[/CENTER]

[CENTER]:wink: Member of the Kind of Weird Sexy Club :wink: [/CENTER]

You have a right to be upset. My fiance is in the Military Police Corps for the Army, and he is stationed in Germany. When he first joined I was very upset, and angery that he was leaving me. But it will pass. There is more than just getting blown up, and don't worry not an entire lot of going right now anyways lol. Just try and be there for her, and don't spend your last days being angery.

I would never totally get on your case about your views.. that is what America is about.. difference..

And You have every right to be upset. She is a close friend and you don't want her to put her life in jeapordy, especially since you do not believe in the war, correct?

I don't think it would be wrong to state your opinion and tell her how you feel about this. Just let her know that your views are in her best interest.

=]]

Shes your best friend! Of course its okay to be upset. All of my family is pretty damn happy that i am gonna be a marine, since my brother showed them how proud he is to be one, but i really feel for you. i do know i will be taking immense risks and ive wanted to do this for years, and most of my closest friends have the same opinions as you but i respect them for telling me and i did do my best to... erm... calm them down. im not upset so ur friend should be pleased that you were brave enough to tell her in honesty. if she is serious about it, shell appreciate it.

Yeah, its sweet as to be upset, but if shes going to be happy doing that, then let her go. Do keep in touch though. Definitely.
      If its what she wants to do, then be happy for her.
      Sure you can be upset, its kind of expected. Dont think of yourself as selfish. Of course you want her to stay behind, its what everyone would want 4 their best mate.

You can't stop your friend making a decision that's important to her, but you can prevent losing touch with her. I'm sure she understands that you're upset about it, just let her know she means a lot to you, and keep in touch with her. Think positivley, and chances are nothing bad will happen.
      "I don't mind, I think so..."

Most of my friends feel the same about my decision to join the army. They're against the war and don't agree with me signing up to help with it but maybe you should talk to her and explain how you feel. And thanks as well cause you might not know it but you've helped me understand some of the reactions from my mates which i got when i told them about me joining but you don't have to support WHAT she's doing but support HER doing it.
      [CENTER][SIZE=2][/SIZE] [/CENTER]

Wow. I've been in this situation, exactly, for a little while now. My best best best friend in the world, for years, has had his mind set on joining the marines for a while now. I'm so selfish about it, and do all I can to try to convince him not to, but at the same time I feel bad, because this is what he wants to do. I know exactly what you mean :( You've got every right to be upset, I certainly am. But I guess you just have to realize it's what she really wants, and you've got to try your best to not stand in the way of it, as horrible as it's going to be