Psychology vs. Business

• Re: Psychology vs. Business

Ah, yes, I knew of undergrad economics, accounting, and finance, and they're all slightly different, didn't think there was an individual called business.

A bachelor's and master's in economics is pretty useless. And finance, I'm going to say not anymore. My rich Uncle was a finance major and he's making considerably less money than before.

But my personal preference - those majors tend to have corrupt people (imagine working on Wall Street). At least that's in the U.S. I'd do whatever one makes you happy. I think being a psychologist, though, is a lot less stressful than finding out everyday that the economy is getting worse and worse and the Dow is down, etc.
      Nice guys talk because they have something to say; pick-up artists talk because they have to say something.

Business gets you more job choices.
      Buut, if you decide to get a degree in psychology and you can "sell" your degree in a business type setting, then you're a shoo-in. Best of both worlds.
      As in...you can get them to hire you because you can "think outside the box."
      etc...sorry if that was confusing.

In the end, it's your choice, you should choose what makes you happy.

Yuki wrote:

A bachelor's in economics useless? Uh, no. It's actually one of the top 10 paid college majors, but only one of the few BAs...

English vs. Engineering: Highest-Paid College Majors - Careers Articles

By useless I meant the scarcity of finding a job, not the average salary.

For example, you can have salaries that are really good, but really hard to find if there is a small demand for them.

That link you pasted apparently apparently includes "finance" in the top 10. Finance majors can have really high salaries (my Uncle, for example, whom is a millionaire for years). But the scarcity of finding a job now is the problem. For example, my Uncle now is somewhere near unemployed. But he's happy. He and his wife will stay that way for years because they are so rich, with their mansion worth over a million.

Where I got that idea about the economics degree was from the boyfriend of a economics major. She had a bachelor's and master's degree in economics. The boyfriend was a chemistry major, going into graduate school for Ph.D.

He says, it's hard for her to find a job, because most places prefer M.B.A. That pure, theoretical economics is useless compared to M.B.A. That the only jobs she could find was to teach economics.

Anyways, they decided she will go wherever he goes to get accepted to for graduate school. Whatever city the boyfriend is going to, she will find a job as a high school economics teacher.
      Nice guys talk because they have something to say; pick-up artists talk because they have to say something.

Anyways, I will definitely recommend psychology over business, especially on the stress level.

Sabrina seems like a normal person to me, so I can't possibly believe she has knowledge of what a psychologist does besides what she sees on T.V. or if she did internships.

I happen to know a lot about psychologists - from myself being autistic. And that I happened to see psychologists all my life, until in high school.

I was diagnosed as autistic by a top level psychologist - the head guy of the University of Chicago, medical center, at ages 4 to 6. It had a clinical center and a psychiatry center. Therefore, I saw the luxury of what it was like to be a psychologist.

He had a huge office, with tall bookshelves, a desk for his own computer, and then, I sat on a couch. The room was well air-conditioned. However, anything else my memory on this is limited since I was seeing him from ages 4 to 6 I think.

After being diagnosed as autistic, the rest of the psychologists I saw after that, the offices were smaller and smaller. Especially school psychologists. I remember seeing a school psychologist every week in 3rd and 4th grade!

Then, in 9th grade, after still seeing a psychologist in school, during class times, I fought to no longer see them, and I guess my Mom either okay'd it or approved of it.

But I still recall seeing psychologists outside of school - after school, I think as late as 10th grade.

I can't imagine the life of a businessman being any better, or less stressful, especially after that Bernard Madoff investment scandal. Sigh. Unfortunately, I have no idea how much psychologists make, but I assume it varies.

Sooner or later, I will find out about the mind of a psychologist.

Last spring 2008, after still not being able to find jobs, I found about a Department of Illinois, Health and Human services, Rehabilitation Services. It was to help disabled people find a job.

Most of the time, their people were those that had problems seeing, hearing, or walking. To help them find a job. As well as those that are mentally disabled.

I came into their office 1 day, after applying on-line. For the on-line application, I did not select seeing problems or hearing problems. I selected "getting along with others" as my problem.

So at the office, they seemed kind of confused, until I mentioned I was autistic. Then they go, you're autistic? So they would like to see proof of that, and so I contacted my Mom, and while she could send me my school I.E.P. records, I could also go back to the University of Chicago and get my entire diagnostic!

There were 2 sections, hospital and psychiatry. I guessed wrong and thought hospital, where I went in and filled all the forms, and they will mail it - the full diagnostic!

Can you believe it? All I had to know was my social security number. And they will mail the full, entire, diagnostic, that my psychologist doctor diagnosed me with including his notes and everything, which will be several pages.

Anyways, when I get my hands on his report, I will see into the mind of a real, psychologist.

But since I was wrong, it was in the "psychiatry" department, they couldn't find it, so I had to go back. And by that time, summer was over and school started so I haven't had the volition to go back there again, but I do plan on it sometime anyways.

I've written my own essays on why I think I'm autistic, and I'd love to compare 'em with the doctor that diagnosed me with autistic. The only problem is is I wrote it from a teenage standpoint reflecting my teenage years, whereas he saw me at ages 4 through 6, so that should be somewhat different, I think.

By useless I meant the scarcity of finding a job, not the average salary.

Well, most people with college degrees really should have no worries about finding a job after graduation, as it definitely guarantees some financial security. Do you have any sources for "scarcity of finding a job" in this field?

Anyway, what kind of autistic are you and what exactly makes "getting a long with people" hard? Interesting.

Oh, OP, I think Business majors are c0ck-suckers, really. Not only is it a petty degree, but people actually think they need to go to colelge to learn about business or run their own business? LOL.

Psychology is easy, but it should at least be fun. But keep in mind that people usually don't "dive" into their major until at least 2 years after they have completed their core requirements in college, so it is most likely you'll inevitably be taking some of the same classes as a science or math major, like English, History, Philosophy, or any core graduation requirement that your university may require.

When commenting on a Joke forum. ;)Sieg Heil like an iron fascist fist, mein Fuhrer. :)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Yuki ().

Yuki wrote:

Well, most people with college degrees really should have no worries about finding a job after graduation, as it definitely guarantees some financial security.

This is certainly true, before the recession (which started December 2007).

Our recessions is already 16 months, and next month, it will break the record for the longest recession we ever had since 1950. Our G.D.P. fell 6.5% (which is actually huge, when talking about trillions here).

Yuki wrote:

Do you have any sources for "scarcity of finding a job" in this field?

No, I can find it just as well as you can. My macroeconomics professor.

Yuki wrote:

Anyway, what kind of autistic are you and what exactly makes "getting a long with people" hard? Interesting.

NOS.

But on another category, possibly imaginary, I think I'm a "high-functioning" autistic as opposed to other possible choices.

Yuki wrote:

Oh, OP, I think Business majors are c0ck-suckers, really.

Are you making it sound like it is a bad thing?

Yuki wrote:

Not only is it a petty degree, but people actually think they need to go to colelge to learn about business or run their own business? LOL.

Psychology is easy, but it should at least be fun. But keep in mind that people usually don't "dive" into their major until at least 2 years after they have completed their core requirements in college, so it is most likely you'll inevitably be taking some of the same classes as a science or math major, like English, History, Philosophy, or any core graduation requirement that your university may require.