Tanks becoming Obsolete?

• Tanks becoming Obsolete?

Do you think that tanks are becoming or will become obsolete? Or do you think that by continuing to improve, tanks will always remain a useful asset? And by tanks I mean main battle tanks such as the Russian T-90 or American M1 Abrams.

During and after the Vietnam War, many people thought tanks were going to become obsolete because of how easy it was for an attack helicopter to destroy many of them in quick succession with missiles/rockets. However, the invention of new armor creating techniques fixed this problem for the most part and proved that tanks are still useful. So personally I think that as anti-tank weapons continue to improve so can tank armor, as long as we still have people willing to work on it. On the other hand, there are bombs already in use such as the CBU-97 Sensor Fused Weapon that can destroy over 40 tanks in an instant. Such a weapon was used on a large force of Iraqi tanks in the 1991 Gulf War and it indeed succeeded in destroying most of the force while causing the rest to surrender. So I am quite worried about the future of the tank.

I certainly hope that tanks will not become obsolete because imo they are one of the most awesome weapons on the battlefield and one of the career options I am considering is becoming a tank commander in the Marine Corps.

So what are your thoughts?
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
    • Re: Tanks becoming Obsolete?

I think you're right about the part in which you mentioned anti-tank missiles improving along with the tank armor themselves improving as well.

Military technology will no doubt improve as time goes along, and we could only wait and see what new stuff comes about. With stuff like pilotless aircraft and land vehicles now in the scene, I think the actual tank in which people drive into battle might grow unpopular as the whole safer remote controlled stuff gets improved and perfected.

I don't think it will be anytime soon though. Also, nothing beats a human's intuition and judgement while in the actual battle in the flesh, so I don't think stuff like tanks would ever be obsolete.

Tanks will never quite become obsolete because developing industrialized nations will have a need for them as they become cheaper.

Maybe they'll become obsolete against the U.S. Military, yes, but say a civil war between a poor nation or its neighbor? Nah.

I mean, insurgents still use primitive Russian weapons and they're out there killing Americans and their superior technology every day.

When commenting on a Joke forum. ;)Sieg Heil like an iron fascist fist, mein Fuhrer. :)
    • i hope ak-47s never become obsolete.

anyway, i think tanks will evolve more into mobile artillery as smoothbore barrels and guided munitions become more advanced, there will be no need for classic tank to tank warfare.

but, if they ever do become obsolete, they will become cheap and i will buy a few.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [COLOR="Red"]Don’t pollute the planet. It’s where I keep all my junk.[/COLOR][COLOR="DarkOrange"]You say tomato, I say Lycopersicum Esculentum.[/COLOR]I GIVE REP TO PEOPLE WHO TELL ME THINGS ABOUT [COLOR="Red"]AVTOMAT KALASHNIKOVAS[/COLOR]

The post was edited 1 time, last by Jasmine: merged double post ().

Russia, already is selling tanks, such like that of the T-83 from WWII. However i doubt this will ever go away, as newer technologies come out, such as already mentioned and that of EMW's (electro magnetic weapons). Who knows, we may very well end up in the pages of a supposed fictional book.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [/CENTER]
      [CENTER]We're the first to fight, the last to leave. We're your worst nightmare, and your greatest blessing. We are the US Marines!
      [/CENTER]

Yuki wrote:

Are you a redneck?

would you fucking quit with the redneck bull shit. your getting to be annoying.

EDIT: if your gonna give me good fucking rep, leave your goddamn name so i can rep you back.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [COLOR="Red"]Don’t pollute the planet. It’s where I keep all my junk.[/COLOR][COLOR="DarkOrange"]You say tomato, I say Lycopersicum Esculentum.[/COLOR]I GIVE REP TO PEOPLE WHO TELL ME THINGS ABOUT [COLOR="Red"]AVTOMAT KALASHNIKOVAS[/COLOR]

The post was edited 1 time, last by Avtomat Kalashnikova ().

tanks are evolving into a new generation of heavy mobile artillary as long as there are ground troops tanks will be useful plus there is sumthing to said about the mental effect the have u see a tank u know ur
      in trouble
      [I]Any man can have one really bad day and end up just like me HA HA HA[/I]

We will always need armoured vehicles supporting the boots on the ground, always have always will.
      But the truth is that there is more focus on building up the foot soldier rather than the Tank or air support, Things like new apc's and new Rifles which will help the fight in the Ghan.
      Muhammed Ali-I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.'' STAND BY!!!!!!

DOM1664 wrote:

We will always need armoured vehicles supporting the boots on the ground, always have always will.
      But the truth is that there is more focus on building up the foot soldier rather than the Tank or air support, Things like new apc's and new Rifles which will help the fight in the Ghan.

That's because it's more urban warfare now, tanks aren't as effective in narrow alleyways compared to more open areas.
      [SIZE=6]
      [/SIZE]

No, they are not obsolete. People say that the style of warfare has changed, and that is true for the wars being fought in the Middle East. However, there is still the chance that a traditional, conventional war will break out in the future. It doesn't have to be between 2 superpowers, or a superpower and small country, as seen with Russia and Georgia. Such warfare will more than likely occur between 2 or 3 small countries, depending on their location of course. A T-90 would probably not fair to well in the Himalayas or in the Hindu Kush.

Geography is a very important factor in warfare. It's not as simple as controlling the water or air ways means controlling the war.
      11/4/08 - National Epic Fail Day

[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [/CENTER]