Stereotypes.

• Stereotypes.

Okay, so I'm probably going to get some pretty negative comments here..but I dont care. Screw it. Whatever. :rolleyes:
      Sue me but I just DONT see the point in stereotypes. Period. They are annoying as fuck, especially when people stereotype themselves.

Here...let me give you an example of what my 'crowd' is like, kay?
      *We're the type of people that get along with most people...like we talk to people from different 'cliques' but mostly, we like to just hang together amongst ourselves because well...we're just the closest friends and we share common interests. We are the type of people that listen to bands and songs that noone knows anything about and would be like 'wtf...who is that?' if we mentioned them.
      *We absolutly cannot stand bands like Falloutboy, GreenDay, Simple Plan..and mainstream shit like that because they're just annoying. They are played on the radio all the time and they are bound to suck eventually after what? The tenthousandth time you listen to them?
      *We do wear skinny jeans...and the guys do wear tight jeans and we all are into flats and vans and converse....and we all wear band T's and cute little tops from Charlotte Russe and Aggaci...you know, not just the Teeshirts that say Hollister or Abercrombie and Fitch on them just so people know that we can actually aford them. Because other than that, I see no point in buying them...they aren't cute...they just have a lable inprinted on them. How fun.
      *you know...all that ect ect ect shit.
      HOWEVER...we beat the shit out of anyone that calls us emo. People have actually come up to us in a 'mocking attempt' to ask us if we were emo and we have been like "Hell no. We are ghetto bitch!"... (inside joke by the way).

I just honestly cant stand stereotypes....I cant stand posers. I cant stand people that go around saying "I'm emo!!" or "I'm preppy!"..."I'm goth!"..."I'm Scene!!"
      No. The. Fuck. You. Aren't!
      Labeling yourself just makes you a poser.
      It's ridiculous.
      I mean sure....we all go through 'depressed' phases and we all go through hard times where we just want to be alone and not talk to anyone for a while...but then again, we also all have to go through times when we are happy as hell and just wanna be damn tards that run around for no reason.
      Our moods should not stereotype us.

Like my friends and me! Sure...we shop at Hot Topic at times...we go to shows...we WILL be going to the warped tour... we dress the way we do and our hair is the way it is...we idolize people like Audrey Kitching when hardly anyone else doesn't know who she is....but we are the dorks that will laugh our asses off for every little thing and just joke around without having to pull of the whole "I'm emo. I cant smile or laugh or appear to be humanly excited or else people wont feel sorry for me anymore." act.

So, I ask...why stereotypes? I mean..you cant help what people decide to call you...but you CAN decide what to call yourself. I'm NOT emo. I'm NOT scene. I'm Lala...and that's way better than any stereotype anyone can give me. Kthanx.
      My rant is finished.
    • Re: Stereotypes.

I can definitely understand where you are coming from. Stereotypes suck.

As for me my "favorite" (sarcasm) stereotypes that have been assumed about me:

I am bisexual, so of course you can watch me make love to my girlfriend.
      I am white, so of course I live in an upperclass neighborhood and have money.
      I am a teenage girl, so of course I am shallow and boy crazy.
      I listen to Marilyn Manson so I must be goth/satanist/demonic.
      I listen to AFI so I must be emo.
      I am italian so of course I have family in the mafia.
      I am irish so I must have a drinking problem and violent temper.
      I live in Oklahoma so I must live on a farm and be a "redneck".
      I am a feminist, so of course I hate men.
      I love Jay and Silent Bob and find them hilarious, so I must be a stoner.
      There are many more but I need to get off to bed....

But I understand where you are coming from
      [SIZE=4]"Penguins. Lovely." - Edward in Eclipse

Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer. You know you want to read it.
      [/SIZE]
      [SIZE=5][SIZE=2]
      [/SIZE][/SIZE]

Dollface wrote:

I'm Italian- which means my dad is from the mafia (I've actually been ASKED if I'm protected by the Mafia, the tards)

I repetitively get asked if I have family in the mafia. Not once not twice but so many times I cannot count. "Is your dad in the mafia?" "Do you have family in the mafia?" "If I pissed you off would you get your mafia uncle to kill me?" Stupid shit like that. I usually have fun with it though and either tell them that I do, or that if I did I couldn't tell them because that would be asking to get killed for giving out too much information....I figure if they are stupid enough to assume I have family in the mafia because I am italian, then i'll let them think what they want to think and I don't care.
      [SIZE=4]"Penguins. Lovely." - Edward in Eclipse

Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer. You know you want to read it.
      [/SIZE]
      [SIZE=5][SIZE=2]
      [/SIZE][/SIZE]

Dollface wrote:

Okay, so I'm probably going to get some pretty negative comments here..but I dont care. Screw it. Whatever. :rolleyes:
      Sue me but I just DONT see the point in stereotypes. Period. They are annoying as fuck, especially when people stereotype themselves.

Here...let me give you an example of what my 'crowd' is like, kay?
      *We're the type of people that get along with most people...like we talk to people from different 'cliques' but mostly, we like to just hang together amongst ourselves because well...we're just the closest friends and we share common interests. We are the type of people that listen to bands and songs that noone knows anything about and would be like 'wtf...who is that?' if we mentioned them.
      *We absolutly cannot stand bands like Falloutboy, GreenDay, Simple Plan..and mainstream shit like that because they're just annoying. They are played on the radio all the time and they are bound to suck eventually after what? The tenthousandth time you listen to them?
      *We do wear skinny jeans...and the guys do wear tight jeans and we all are into flats and vans and converse....and we all wear band T's and cute little tops from Charlotte Russe and Aggaci...you know, not just the Teeshirts that say Hollister or Abercrombie and Fitch on them just so people know that we can actually aford them. Because other than that, I see no point in buying them...they aren't cute...they just have a lable inprinted on them. How fun.
      *you know...all that ect ect ect shit.
      HOWEVER...we beat the shit out of anyone that calls us emo. People have actually come up to us in a 'mocking attempt' to ask us if we were emo and we have been like "Hell no. We are ghetto bitch!"... (inside joke by the way).

I just honestly cant stand stereotypes....I cant stand posers. I cant stand people that go around saying "I'm emo!!" or "I'm preppy!"..."I'm goth!"..."I'm Scene!!"
      No. The. Fuck. You. Aren't!
      Labeling yourself just makes you a poser.
      It's ridiculous.
      I mean sure....we all go through 'depressed' phases and we all go through hard times where we just want to be alone and not talk to anyone for a while...but then again, we also all have to go through times when we are happy as hell and just wanna be damn tards that run around for no reason.
      Our moods should not stereotype us.

Like my friends and me! Sure...we shop at Hot Topic at times...we go to shows...we WILL be going to the warped tour... we dress the way we do and our hair is the way it is...we idolize people like Audrey Kitching when hardly anyone else doesn't know who she is....but we are the dorks that will laugh our asses off for every little thing and just joke around without having to pull of the whole "I'm emo. I cant smile or laugh or appear to be humanly excited or else people wont feel sorry for me anymore." act.

So, I ask...why stereotypes? I mean..you cant help what people decide to call you...but you CAN decide what to call yourself. I'm NOT emo. I'm NOT scene. I'm Lala...and that's way better than any stereotype anyone can give me. Kthanx.
      My rant is finished.

I stereotype myself all the time. Does that make me a poser? No, it's just that I rather give myself a label than someone else. Okay, I'm going to go through your little rant and pick out shit. Follow along now, I don't want you to get lost.

• We are the type of people that listen to bands and songs that noone knows anything about and would be like 'wtf...who is that?' if we mentioned them.
      • *We absolutly cannot stand bands like Falloutboy, GreenDay, Simple Plan..and mainstream shit like that
      You hate stereotyping but here you are knocking down a stereotype. Punk/emo/screamo/hardcore, those are the labels that would totally listen to that shit. Now just because you don't doesn't give you the right to knock down other people's style.

• *We do wear skinny jeans...and the guys do wear tight jeans and we all are into flats and vans and converse....and we all wear band T's and cute little tops from Charlotte Russe and Aggaci...
      Once again, you hate labeling people but you are labeling yourself due to your sense of upright style. Sweetie, after your first sentence you looked stupid as shit because you are going against your own word. Okay, next.

• HOWEVER...we beat the shit out of anyone that calls us emo.
      You mean to tell me that if I happen to come up to you and classfiy you emo then you will kick the shit out of me? I highly doubt that, princess. I'm going to class my opinion on you rather you like it or not. It's called life. Suck it up and deal with it.

I really love how you decided to bring up the label emo and sceneic. Why didn't you bring preppy or goth into it? I guess emo's are so speical that we get brought up everywhere.

I do label myself and that is a right. I do have what's called Freedom Of Speech and liberty to back that up. But on the internet you have either. I really don't care what people say to me because I don't let it bother me. Apparently it does to you because you took the time to make this thread.

1. I'm emo.
      2. I wear skinny jeans, tight band shirts, jet black hair, spiked with gel and hairspray. Converse and vans as shoes.
      3. My nails are painted black and red.
      4. I listen to Screamo/Emo/Hardcore/Metal/Rock/Old Rock.
      5. I don't hang out with other labels, sometimes maybe.
      I don't give a shit what people say, like I said before. Since I labeled myself am I going to see you follow me around calling me a poser? You shouldn't take the time of day to waste five letters on me because your words are worthless and hurtless as well. Deal with life and the shit that comes along with it. Stereotyping will be along for a long time.

Stick that in your juice box and suck it.

Well, I guess everyone has the right to have their own oppinion, but I am letting MINE known. I think I have the right to that.
      I personally think that if you stereotype yourself, you are NOT the person you say you are but rather the person you WANT to be. Which is dumb...it's like giving yourself a nickname.
      You let OTHERS do that...you cant just decide that you're going to be called something else...it's a wierd example but it's one nonetheless.
      I just cant tell you how annoying it is for being going up to me that just because they think it's 'cool' to be labeled something going around saying "Zomg I'm a punkette!"
      it's like...no bitch. you're a poser. get over it.

I didn't bring out preppy or goth because
      nothing about the people I hang out with fit under any 'prep or goth' category.
      I still dont think that we should be classifed period. We're ourselves...
      Just becuase I cry I'm emo? Um...I think NOT. Everyone cries. Everyone feels depressed at one point or another. That does NOT make anyone emo. It makes us human

I am agreeing with you. If you are open, go ahead with it, its totally ok :)

I dislike people that label themselves and think they are bigger than everybody else. Sorry for those that are naturally like this, do not mean to sound offensive 'but' in my view i just hate them. It makes me think of all those poor people, people who do not get much in this world, and when people are showing off terribly, looking to be out labelled etc, it just makes me sit and think about it and "why" they do it knowing there are those people in asia etc.
      I want to be a star so much but i cannot help but hate the glam side of it all. Yeah it is great to be center of attention time to time but when it is all the time and going overboard, i cannot stand it. Disadvantage of hollywood. lol

Labelling yourself and trying to make yourself look great is just great, i do not see a problem in that. It is when people are acting BIG what i cannot stand. I believe everyone has a right to have an opinion on this however.

Thats so not down to earth. Dollface you have a good point in this.

Dollface wrote:

I didn't bring out preppy or goth because
      nothing about the people I hang out with fit under any 'prep or goth' category.
      I still dont think that we should be classifed period. We're ourselves...
      Just becuase I cry I'm emo? Um...I think NOT. Everyone cries. Everyone feels depressed at one point or another. That does NOT make anyone emo. It makes us human

Crying doesn't make you emo. That's where you got your facts totally fucking messed up. I'm going to explain it very gently so you will understand the basic logic of being emo and shit. Follow along, once again.

Emo is a somewhat ambiguous slang term most frequently used to describe a fashion or subculture linked to hardcore punk fashion and its subculture. The slang term emo is best known for referring to fashion style[1] and attitude. Emo may describe this fashion or music, or a general emotive state (as in to "feel emo"). It is also, sometimes pejoratively, used to identify someone fitting a particular emo stereotype or category.

The term emo originated in the 1980s to describe a genre of music stemming from the hardcore punk music scene in Washington, D.C. Early bands labeled emo (or sometimes emocore) in this scene included Rites of Spring, Embrace, and Rain.[2][3][4] The term emo as a music genre has become broader and broader with time, and now is loosely understood to mean "rock music with emotionally-based lyrics or effect," which could be used to describe a broadly and poorly defined group of nearly every popular (or unpopular) rock band. The term is so loosely defined because its definition is still the subject of debate. [5][2][3] Emo is now often used to refer to a person's fashion, personality, or both, as well as a musical category.

By almost all current definitions, emo clothing is characterized by tight jeans on males and females alike, long fringe (bangs) often brushed to one side of the face, dyed black, straightened hair, tight t-shirts which often bear the names of rock bands (or other designed shirts), studded belts, belt buckles, Chuck Taylor All-Stars, skate shoes, or other black shoes—often old and beaten up—and thick, black horn-rimmed glasses.[5][2][6][7][8][9] Emo fashion has changed with time; early trends included haircuts similar to those worn by the Romulans and Vulcans in Star Trek, tightly fitting sweaters, button-down shirts, and work jackets (often called gas station jackets).[6]

When referring to a person's personality and attitude, most definitions of emo hold that an emo person is emotionally candid, sensitive, shy, introverted, glum, and quiet.[7] Emo personality is also often connected with writing poetry that addresses confusion, depression, loneliness, and anger, all resulting from the world's inability to understand the author. Emo poetry uses a combination of any of: a highly emotional tone; stream of consciousness writing; a simple (ABAB) or nonexistent rhyme scheme; references to the flesh, especially the heart; heavy use of dark or depressing adjectives; and concern over the mutability of time, love, or both. Themes such as life is pain are common.[10]

In the years since emo music's rise in popularity, it has attracted criticism, often severe.[11] The term emo itself is sometimes used pejoratively, to suggest that the target is overly emotional.[7] Emo has been characterized as a fad that will be discarded and forgotten in the near future.[12] Recent trends in music has also been compared to the teen pop of 1990s boy bands.[12][13] Critics cast the music as lacking any artistic merit, the fashion as "embarrassing," and the people as imagining or pretending that they lead harsh, painful lives when they actually live in comfortable, middle- to upper-class homes.[12] Members of the emo subculture are portrayed by critics as melodramatic, self-pitying teenagers who pour their efforts into writing bad poetry and spending a great amount of time on MySpace.[11][12][14] The current emo subculture has been called a "sad caricature" of what it once was.[11] Some have accused emo of celebrating self-harm.[15] Some assert that within some emo circles it is cool to pretend to be suicidal and self-harming.[12] Critics have gone so far as to contend that the emo's influence is likely to cause youth to commit suicide.[15][12]
      The backlash against emo has become so prevalent that it may itself have become a cliché: one commentator notes that "hating emo kids these days is as hackneyed as emo itself."[11]

The word emo can be used as either a noun or adjective.[7]
      Adjective (1): All my friends are emo.
      Adjective (2): I feel emo today.
      Noun: That person is such an emo.

I thinik yo uand your friends are the normal type of everyday people. Sterotypes do suck i hate how our world groups people int oto different sections like the goths, clacks, loosers,nerds,preps etc. cliques are stupid
      [CENTER]MUSIC is one of the most beautiful forms of[/CENTER]
      [CENTER]expression...says what the heart can't always put into[/CENTER]
      [CENTER]words....brings you places that have no roads....Unknown.[/CENTER]