My damn job!

• My damn job!

Hello everyone.

I would like to start off by saying I just turned 17, and this is pretty much my first real job. I work for the city leisure services. Basically, I watch kids play on the playground. There are other programs in the services; basically camps and extended care. Parks and playground is where I work. Now, that said, I am a sub. I do not have many guarunteed hours. I have no idea why, but its just the way it is. I may be new, but other people who are also new have full time jobs there. And some are younger than me too!

Now, I can accept this, since I also managed to get a shift every other Sunday watching the facility. However, my friend who works for extended care was offered a position by my boss on a playground site for all remaining Tuesdays and Thursdays! She has 15 hours a week already guarunteed! Now she will have 24 guarunteed hours! All I have guarunteed per week is 3! I call bullshit!

Now, I don't know what to do. They are giving me shit hours! Averaging 3 hours per week? And they pass me up to give a person from ANOTHER program, who is ALSO new, the hours I NEED? I don't want to quit, but this is some bullshit. I haven't done anything wrong. Grrrr.

Give some advice please. And if you are confused by this, let me know and I will elaborate. Thanks.
      Hello, how are you?
    • Re: My damn job!

Emo-(I think I know you...did you change your name?) It really is hard finding a decent job when you have no job references to list and are only a teenager. Most places hire 18 and up. I really, really would like to NOT work at a food place, because I am a vegetarian. So my options are kind of limited.

But yes, I think I will just have to talk with them.
      Hello, how are you?

This has happened to my mom as a nurse, and my sister at her boston market job. My guess is they like girls and are sexist, just an assumption first off. Is your boss the highest authority? If so, then I don't know what else you can do, but if not, go to the nest highest paid person and definitely report it.
      what lasts is what is written. We look to literature to find the essence of the past.

If you're working for the city, that must mean you'er unionized. Talk to your union rep and tell him what your boss is doing, see if those other people have more seniority than you. If you're in a union, it's all based on seniority, so it doesn't matter if the person is younger than you, if they've been working there longer, they can take your job. That's how I lost my job. it sucks, but that's the way it goes. Talk to your boss about it, and if you don't get a straight answer out of him, go talk to HIS boss.
      [CENTER]. : Hard Work Pays Off in the Long Run. Laziness Pays Off NOW : .[/CENTER]

[CENTER]:wink: Member of the Kind of Weird Sexy Club :wink: [/CENTER]