What do you think?

• What do you think?

Lately I've been doing a lot of research on universities in Canada. I have concluded that based solely on my marks, I am pretty much guaranteed acceptance to practically every university in the country. My GPA is about a 3.83, with a percentage average of about 94%. Next year, I plan to increase that.

Anyway, I don't know what to do. Would it look bad if I didn't go to a well-known university. There are a few huge universities in Canada with amazing reputations. However, I have found that I like the programs and stuff at a couple of smaller, less known universities. I don't want to go to a small, unknown university when I can get into the best university in Canada. However, I also want to go to the university that's best fitted for my program.

I don't know what to do, really. The universities that are the best for the undergraduate degrees are 1) the smallest universities 2) less known universities. Know what I mean? Any advice?
    • Re: What do you think?

Getting through University is tough enough even if you enjoy it, trying to struggle through a "well known" school that you don't enjoy is going to make it hell.

The important thing about getting an education is that 1) you get one at all 2) that you do what you love. After all, isn't that what life is all about?

10 years down the line, no one is going to care if you got your degree from school A or school B (don't get me wrong, going to a supreme university and graduating number 1 in your class can have it's perks), all people will really care about is if you got your degree at all, and perhaps what you got it in (but even that doesn't tend to matter TOO much).

It really depends. You have to take into account many different factors when choosing a university. For example I could get the grades in my A Levels to go to Cambridge (A*AAa) but they don't offer joint honours so I wouldn't be able to take History and French, I would have to take History and try and keep my French up outside of my studies - which at Cambridge wouldn't leave much time for the language. I also don't think Cambridge is the experience I want, I really want to go to a big city such as London. Having a degree from Cambridge would be really helpful in later life, but so would one from say UCL or Warwick. Just because a university is the "best" in the country (or 2nd in the world in my example) doesn't mean its the best fitting for yourself. Look at your priorities, go to the university with the course that suits you the most but you have to remember to make sure the degree you get is worth the paper its printed on.
      [CENTER]This is a gift it comes with a price
      Who is the lamb and who is the knife
      Midas is king and he holds me so tight
      And turns me to gold in the sunlight
      - Florence + The Machine, Rabbit Heart

I'm not a misanthrope, but I can utterly empathise with them.
      [/CENTER]

You're suffering from I-Can-Go-To-Oxbridge-So-Why-Not-Secure-The-Bragging-Rights-Syndrome. All a famous university will do for you is perhaps raise a couple of employer's eyebrows and get you unearned respect in social circles. I know a genius straight A*s dude who looked at an open day to Cambridge and decided it wasn't for him, and yet someone less intelligent than him who did go would get treated with more intellectual respect. Funny, isn't it?

But go with the university that is best for you, which I would put down to a good atmosphere and a universal standard of excellence in your chosen subject.
      [CENTER]

[RIGHT]Ta-ta
      [/RIGHT]
      [/CENTER]

The difference between going to a big name university that has your program and a small university that specializes in your program is that you will most likely learn more at the smaller university. Yes, a big name will look good, but if the things you learn are only so so, it's not much use. My sister learned that the hard way.

She went to community college first, and then university and one thing she noticed is that in university, you're expected to know some things already right away. They don't teach it in the first or second year and because of that a lot of students had to drop. My sister was lucky that my dad could help her at home and she went to community college first to learn the basics she needed.

It's up to you though. you might want to research the different universities a bit more, but I'd definitely go for one that specializes in what I'm looking for.
      [CENTER]6/19/06

愛してる~
      私の恋人
      [/CENTER]