i have no white friends! =(

• i have no white friends! =(

OK the title says it all. Basically I'm asian and I go to a college that's predominantly white, yet I don't have that many white friends. I do have some white friends, but its not like I can fit into their social circles or if they could fit into mine. Basically it seems to be this way with most of my friends as well. It seems like most of my fellow asian friends only get along among themselves. Does anyone have any idea why? Am I just unconsciously uncomfortable with another ethnic group?
    • Re: i have no white friends! =(

This is a very common thing, having social groups that are based off of races. It's because you have things in common with other asians because you yourself are an asian.

The best way to break the racial barrier is to just talk to other people. Talk to some white people, see if you can find someone with the same interests as you.

Friendship is blind; race doesn't matter as long as you are actually friends. Good luck. =)

Support Leader,
      ~James
      Need help or just want to talk? PM me. :)
      -------------------------------------------------------
      "It's easy to be nice to people you like. But being nice to people you hate, that's a skill. Do it."

I suggest you stay close to your ethnic group while chilling about finding a white friend, no fretting about it. I'm foreign and live away from my country, and don't feel like I'm fitting in, either. But let's allow time to work its way in our lives because that's when the friends we are meant to have, will come to us.

I knew a guy who hated cats. But one came to him, and stayed til it died 16 years later. Similarly, friends approach us and hopefully when they do, they'll be mates with us for a long time to come. I'm sorry I can't offer you anything else. But just let things go along with you every day, and not worry too much. :)

Sometimes the best memories people make, are new ones.

^ I thought the whole point of this thread was to find to inherit differences between Whites and Asians? So what you said was just meaningless.

YoChess wrote:

OK the title says it all. Basically I'm asian and I go to a college that's predominantly white, yet I don't have that many white friends. I do have some white friends, but its not like I can fit into their social circles or if they could fit into mine. Basically it seems to be this way with most of my friends as well. It seems like most of my fellow asian friends only get along among themselves. Does anyone have any idea why? Am I just unconsciously uncomfortable with another ethnic group?

I can't tell if you actually 'want' to make White friends. Maybe you realized all your Asian friends tend to not have any White friends, and you wanted to do something about it?

Well, I guess it's a pretty good morality to want to try to make more friends with multiple races, or try to want to make more friends with multiple races.

Good luck with that.

I'm asian, and I notice this too. I think what other people said is true. We feel more comfortable with people of our own race and its not easy to overcome because its subconcious since we've GROWN UP with people like us. If you were adopted by an Italian family from birth, I would say that you would feel more comfortable with them than with Asians. Its hard to just pick up how to act like them or what they're interested in, which causes anxiety. I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as you have friends you can count on. Try to join clubs and activities outside of your comfort zone until it becomes comfortable for you.

Thanks for the responses. It's been a while since I last checked this post. I also realized I received some negative reputation for this post. No, I'm not racist, but I think I'm just naturally closer to Asians than any other ethnic groups. My HS was over 60% Asian and almost all my close friends were Asian. I did have a really close white friend in HS, but he was probably more "stereotypically Asian" than me (He spoke better Japanese than me, he loved DDR, ect ect). Now the thing is I go to a university where theres only 10% Asian, yet all my close friends are still Asian (Chinese, Filipino, Japanese, Korean, ect). I'm not really disturbed or concerned by that, but it's still a bit sad for me to think about. I'm American born and most of my friends are also American born. I'm not socially awkward though I'm more of an introvert. My two roommates during freshman year were both white and we got along well, but I wasn't as close to them as I was with my Asian friends. In fact my roommates took me to frat parties several times, but it just didn't click for me. I just stood next to my roommate for the most part and felt unrecognized. I felt very out of place and wasn't able to talk to anyone or be myself. Now the thing is whenever I go to parties thats mainly Asians, I feel really comfortable and find people a lot more approachable. Am I just scared of white people?

The post was edited 1 time, last by YoChess ().

i dont know if you're scared or what.
      maybe some thoughts are in your mind
      that somehow make you anxious in dealing with them.
      just try to mingle with them.
      i think white people are nice and cool
      and easy to deal with.
      just try...who knows you'll love to be friends with them.
      a friend is like love it knows no bounderies.
      maybe in time you can get through that feelings.
      I am an asian too.
      I love to be here in TH
      nice to meet you here!
      <3

The post was edited 1 time, last by Jamelae ().

im indian and no offense 2 the white dudes out there that are social but i find that there are bigger percentages of antisocial whites than there are of ne other race(mayb it seems that way because there r a lot more white ppl)...in my school all the indians except one or two(not me) are seen at all the parties and stuff and while there r only a couple chinese, they rnt the kinds that sit at home all weekend...i used to hang out with white kids until i realized all they wanted 2 do is go over 2 each others house and play call of duty...now me and my other indian friend hang out with a few black kids and mayb one white dude(not being racist or nething to whites cuz its only the white guys that r like that not the girls)

parth6593 wrote:

im indian and no offense 2 the white dudes out there that are social but i find that there are bigger percentages of antisocial whites than there are of ne other race(mayb it seems that way because there r a lot more white ppl)...in my school all the indians except one or two(not me) are seen at all the parties and stuff and while there r only a couple chinese, they rnt the kinds that sit at home all weekend...i used to hang out with white kids until i realized all they wanted 2 do is go over 2 each others house and play call of duty...now me and my other indian friend hang out with a few black kids and mayb one white dude(not being racist or nething to whites cuz its only the white guys that r like that not the girls)

Damn I don't know where you are but here white people love to party just as much as anyone else lol!